Will any trails be open soon?

Teamski-doo

Oh yeah, what was I thinking??? Let me put my busy life on hold so I can now spend the day erecting stakes on a field that has been plowed for a month. IMO, why arnt most of these trails staked once the fields are ready? Oh, thats right, because I'M not volunteering to do it. Its amazing how year after year, the staking and brushing only happens after we get a significant snowfall. Is there a problem, prepping the the bush trails in Sept, Oct, Nov? Sorry for the rant, but seriously, since when is it up to everyone else (after paying $250 of outrageous OFSC fees) to also volunteer all thier free time to do what the OFSC area club should have done way before the fisrt flake hit the ground.

yeah,you are probably right about all that. I would imagine that most of the volunteers are jobless and have no life, so it is up to them to put the trails up when us busy folks would expect them to. And I can't see how they can charge $250 for a permit when it only costs north of 12k for a new sled, you got a real legitimate bitch there.

how hard did you hit your head when you ran into that groomer???

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps AV42medics would like to explain to the farmers why his fences were opened and his

property staked early while the livestock escaped on the trail openings.Great way to lose

properties where snowmobile trails run. IMO

When did this happen? I dont ever remember sledding through livestock fields. Does anyone else?? So, now on to answer the question at hand. Pay attention, because this can be hard to follow.....

Step 1, open gate and shew away close animals (this can be done by waving one of the trail stakes at them, BUT not hitting them, that would be mean).

Step 2, bring in ATV and trailer of supplies.

Step 3, CLOSE gate so the sneaky animals cant escape....baaaaaaaa.

Step 4, Stake trail appropriatley in coordination with landowner agreements.

Step 5, Open gate at the other side of field after staking, making sure all animals are at a safe distance by shouting "soooooeeeeeee" multiple times, but avoid all eye contact with the wildlife.

Step 6, Drive said eqipment and ATV out of property and secure the gate as you leave.

:coffeenose:

Can't blame the OFSC or clubs for delayed trail openings. The relative few who give up many of their weekends and spare time to maintain equiptment, brush, stake, sign and work with land owners among others tasks are what gets the trails open. In most areas that can complete trails and inspection prior to snow it is likely only the shortage of such individuals that has us waiting to go out for an early season ride. I wonder how mush a permit would cost if we had to pay people to set up our trails?

Oh yeah, what was I thinking??? Let me put my busy life on hold so I can now spend the day erecting stakes on a field that has been plowed for a month. IMO, why arnt most of these trails staked once the fields are ready? Oh, thats right, because I'M not volunteering to do it. Its amazing how year after year, the staking and brushing only happens after we get a significant snowfall. Is there a problem, prepping the the bush trails in Sept, Oct, Nov? Sorry for the rant, but seriously, since when is it up to everyone else (after paying $250 of outrageous OFSC fees) to also volunteer all thier free time to do what the OFSC area club should have done way before the fisrt flake hit the ground.

yeah,you are probably right about all that. I would imagine that most of the volunteers are jobless and have no life, so it is up to them to put the trails up when us busy folks would expect them to. And I can't see how they can charge $250 for a permit when it only costs north of 12k for a new sled, you got a real legitimate bitch there.

how hard did you hit your head when you ran into that groomer???

yep, because everyone out there that rides is driving a 12k sled. :coffeespit:

You spelled 'first' and 'their' incorrectly. :confused:

lol, but I got "erecting" right :rotflmao:

Half the trails ar'nt even staked yet. Im thinking late January at the earliest. Even if we have 3 feet of snow on the ground, dont expect them to open anytime soon.

Did you get another sled?

Any pay the outrageous OFSC fees? I dont think so.

So why bother whining about it?!

How am I whining?? Stating how I feel, and expressing why I dont volunteer, is not whining.

From the sledders I talk too in our area Mossy, I'd guess 1 out of 3 is NOT buying a permit this year. Now, I know we can go on to break down the expense of a permit and try to validate it all we want. Bottom line is, despite how you justify the cost of a permit in this economy, less and less sledders are willing to shell out that kind of money to ride trails. Let alone ones that arnt prepped before there is 2 feet of snow on the ground.

I don't know who these people are but Sticker's restaraunt sold completley out last week and have sold many more since then. Also the numbers for youth drivers being trained this year is way up. I know it doesn't equate to a garanteed permit sale but it sure does show alot of interest in the sport.

If your not whining why bother leaving any coment?

As for the value of the trail permit, well lets just say it's not a week in Mexico!

Sorry for taking this past 5 minutes of your busy life!

Thanks to all the people who dedicate a small peice of their life to provide me with a trail system that my family and I can enjoy.

Half the trails ar'nt even staked yet. Im thinking late January at the earliest. Even if we have 3 feet of snow on the ground, dont expect them to open anytime soon.

this is the kind of reply one might want to keep to them self, unless one has a flame retardant suit :right_on:

Actually Lucky you could view it as an opportunity ! Volunteer to use your sled to help stake the trails :right_on:

BINGO!!!!!

i want to thank you for keeping me in your thoughts, but i'm kinda busy in my own club doing volunteer stuff.

here is an idea, you go kick the farmers cows out of the pasture and tell him to get his damn corn off, so us guys that payed damn good money for our permits can use HIS property for OUR enjoyment :right_on:

Perhaps AV42medics would like to explain to the farmers why his fences were opened and his

property staked early while the livestock escaped on the trail openings.Great way to lose

properties where snowmobile trails run. IMO

When did this happen? I dont ever remember sledding through livestock fields. Does anyone else?? So, now on to answer the question at hand. Pay attention, because this can be hard to follow.....

Step 1, open gate and shew away close animals (this can be done by waving one of the trail stakes at them, BUT not hitting them, that would be mean).

Step 2, bring in ATV and trailer of supplies.

Step 3, CLOSE gate so the sneaky animals cant escape....baaaaaaaa.

Step 4, Stake trail appropriatley in coordination with landowner agreements.

Step 5, Open gate at the other side of field after staking, making sure all animals are at a safe distance by shouting "soooooeeeeeee" multiple times, but avoid all eye contact with the wildlife.

Step 6, Drive said eqipment and ATV out of property and secure the gate as you leave.

:coffeenose:

here is an idea, you go kick the farmers cows out of the pasture and tell him to get his damn corn off, so us guys that payed damn good money for our permits can use HIS property for OUR enjoyment :right_on:

Thats right, sorry, because there is so many fields with corn still standing right now. Let alone 30 days ago. And again, I dont remember sleding through any livestock fields in this area, ever. Mossy, do we?

I just love to do staking and trail signage twice after the livestock knock over stakes and

scratch themselves on the signs knocking them off.Perhaps you would do that for us since you

seem to have all the answers.Then because the stakes were up some dumb @#cks like you would

drive through the fences and decapitate yourself,leading to another senseless lawsuit.

some dumb @#cks like you would

drive through the fences and decapitate yourself,leading to another senseless lawsuit.

Wow, such a personal attack. How did you come to the conclusion that I have ever rode on closed trails? :crazy:

this is the kind of reply one might want to keep to them self, unless one has a flame retardant suit :right_on:

Actually Lucky you could view it as an opportunity ! Volunteer to use your sled to help stake the trails :right_on:

BINGO!!!!!

The OFSC area club are VOLUNTEERS who have personal lives. Without them the trails would not exist. Do you think all these people who take care of the trails are paid? Wrong! The clean up of the trail starts long before the snow falls. Most clubs have had crews out for weeks. Our club and a neighbouring club was out doing a bridge repair in the summer. It never ceases to amaze me how many people ask me if that is the sled they give for doing trail patrol. It's my sled and I pay for everything fuel included. If you would like to volunteer to work on the trails just like all of the others working on them you can start as early in the year as you would like.

No, I am educated. I know the meaning of the word volunteer. On the same note though, dont expect everyone that uses the trail to be available to volunteer. Nowhere on the ofsc website does it state "250 for the permit and a minimum of 24hrs volunteer time".

Wow, such a personal attack. How did you come to the conclusion that I have ever rode on closed trails? :crazy:

why are trolling a snowmobile forum? if you are so concerned, you and a few of your buddies take the bull by the horns and get out there and help.

see that right there, problem solved.

NEXT.

why are trolling a snowmobile forum? if you are so concerned, you and a few of your buddies take the bull by the horns and get out there and help.

NEXT.

Have you actually read this entire thread?....or did you just skip the part where I stated I tried to contact my local club??

Maybe have the club return calls or emails or hey, heres an idea......post an addvert in the paper looking for for help. I bet they would be surprised how much help they could get for a 25 dollar ad.

NEXT.

Have you actually read this entire thread?....or did you just skip the part where I stated I tried to contact my local club??

Maybe have the club return calls or emails or hey, heres an idea......post an addvert in the paper looking for for help. I bet they would be surprised how much help they could get for a 25 dollar ad.

HOW OLD ARE YOU 12, you should be a shamed of yourself for coming on a snowmobile forum and troll it. GROW-UP

no reply necessary

thank-you

How am I trolling a website in which I have been a member of longer than you?

How am I being childish? There is a difference between humourous anotations and childish injections. Mine collectivly fall into the first catagory.

PS...you spelled "ashamed" incorrectly, just saying. :coffeenose:

HURON COUNTYMEDIA RELEASES

DETACHMENT COMMANDER: INSP DAN GRANT

(519) 524-8314

CALL1-888-310-1122FOR POLICE

KEEPING YOU INFORMED

KEEPING YOU SAFE

FROM/DE: HURON OPP DATE: December 6, 2010

SNOWMOBILE TRAILS ARE NOT OPEN YET!!

(Huron County, ON) The Huron OPP has been advised by members of the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs that people have been observed trespassing on the trails. In an effort to ensure safety for all, the OPP is helping to ensure that the message goes out that NONE of the trails are open yet for public use. Entering the trails at this time is considered to be Trespassing and charges will be laid. There is a serious safety issue for those travelling on the trails prior to them being opened. In addition, private property can be damaged by premature use.

If the current conditions persist, snowmobilers will have plenty of time soon enough to safely enjoy their sport. Please check the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs for trail conditions prior to heading out. www.ofsc.on.ca

HURON COUNTYMEDIA RELEASES

DETACHMENT COMMANDER: INSP DAN GRANT

(519) 524-8314

CALL1-888-310-1122FOR POLICE

KEEPING YOU INFORMED

KEEPING YOU SAFE

FROM/DE: HURON OPP DATE: December 6, 2010

SNOWMOBILE TRAILS ARE NOT OPEN YET!!

(Huron County, ON) The Huron OPP has been advised by members of the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs that people have been observed trespassing on the trails. In an effort to ensure safety for all, the OPP is helping to ensure that the message goes out that NONE of the trails are open yet for public use. Entering the trails at this time is considered to be Trespassing and charges will be laid. There is a serious safety issue for those travelling on the trails prior to them being opened. In addition, private property can be damaged by premature use.

If the current conditions persist, snowmobilers will have plenty of time soon enough to safely enjoy their sport. Please check the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs for trail conditions prior to heading out. www.ofsc.on.ca

i'm heading to florida on the 15th, it sure would be nice to come back home to a winter wonderland with all the trails open. :right_on:

I would anticipate that we could see some limited openings next week in D4 if we can get through the last bit of signing and finish inspections.

Can't blame the OFSC or clubs for delayed trail openings. The relative few who give up many of their weekends and spare time to maintain equiptment, brush, stake, sign and work with land owners among others tasks are what gets the trails open. In most areas that can complete trails and inspection prior to snow it is likely only the shortage of such individuals that has us waiting to go out for an early season ride. I wonder how mush a permit would cost if we had to pay people to set up our trails?

I would guess $500 a permit within 5-7 yrs if things keep up. I talked to a guy on Sunday, on my closed trail , who had 280km already...and I can't get him to help for one afternoon. What he's got on km I've spent on gas doing club stuff in the last month...hummmm, something wrong here.

I would guess $500 a permit within 5-7 yrs if things keep up. I talked to a guy on Sunday, on my closed trail , who had 280km already...and I can't get him to help for one afternoon. What he's got on km I've spent on gas doing club stuff in the last month...hummmm, something wrong here.

get his plate number and call the popo, or risk having one guy ruin it for the rest

get his plate number and call the popo, or risk having one guy ruin it for the rest

We had that happen here and thats what prompted the OPP Crime alerts bulletin. I hope there are more people willing to protect the trails and keep tresspasser away!

Archived