If it smells like a scam......

Dirtbag

OK, so I'm looking on buysell.com the other day, and an ad catches my attention

2009 Polaris 800 Dragon, $3,100.00 - Canada

2009 POLARIS 800 DRAGON Switchback MANUFACTURER Polaris MODEL YEAR 2009 MODEL 800 Dragon Switchback DIMENSIONS LENGTH 120 in. (308.4 cm) HEIGHT 48.5 in. (123.2 cm) WIDTH 48 in. (121.9 cm) WEIGHT 536 lbs. (243.1 kg) ENGINE & DRIVETRAIN ENGINE Liberty, 2-stroke, 2-cylinder, liquid-cooled HORSEPOWER 154 hp DISPLACEMENT 795 cc BORE X STROKE 85 x 70 mm CARBURETION Cleanfire injection - 4 IGNITION Digital CDI with TPS, WTS, DET FUEL CAPACITY 11.5 gal. (43.5 l) CLUTCH Drive: P-85 Driven: P2 SUSPENSION Front: IQ; RydeFX® Air 2.0 shocks; RydeFX®, HPG, IFP track shock; 10 in. (25.4 cm) travel Rear: IQ 136 coupled; RydeFX® comp. adj. track shock; 14 in. (35.6 cm) travel EXHAUST SC VES, single BRAKES Phantom, hydraulic disc OPERATIONAL SKIS IQ SKI STANCE 42.5 in. (108 cm) TRACK LXWXH 136 x 15 x 1.25 in. RipSaw $3,100.00. obo

I think to myself... wow, that must be a misprint... or some wife is selling her husbands sled without him knowing because he cheated on her..... so what t'heck... I email the seller about it to see if it is still for sale... it seems weird to me that the ad reads like a copy out of a polaris catalog... but whatever.. I'll bite...

and this is the response I get.

Hello,

My unit is in great shape,no engine problems,clear title,damages or

hidden defects.It was always garaged and the price is CAD $3,100.

I`m a single mother with 2 children because i divorced with my husband and after the divorce i own this unit, i don`t need it and that`s why i`m selling it so cheap.

My unit is at the shipping company in Fort McMurray, Alberta.

I will use eBay`s protection program for our safety because I am affiliated there with a

protection account of $20000.I will send you the unit and you have 5 days inspection

period,before you decide to buy it.If for any reason you reject the unit I will pay the

shipping back to my location.

Here is how it will work:

1. First of all I will need the following details from you:

- Full Name

- Full Shipping Address (first name,last name,shipping address,city,postal code)

- Phone number

P.S. Please don`t forget to send me your info!

>>>>>>> ok, so how weird is it that my hunch about a divorced woman is correct?..... or is that a little too convenient? starts smelling like a scam...... so I push a little further and tell her that I have a friend in Fort McMurray who can come see it in person, and if it looks good I will buy it... of course all along thinking why wouldn't she just put it on her front lawn with a for sale sign on it? at that price it would sell in a heartbeat..

and this is the response I got...

Hi again,

I`m located in Fort McMurray, Alberta right now at Hospital with my daughter,the thing is i have to stay here with her and i don`t have time to stay and meet with all my potential buyers, that is why i gave to a shipping company that will ship it to the next owner(on my cost), it is sealed in container, so I'm trying to sell it online under eBay`s protection.You will have 5 days from the time you receive to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not, if by any reason, you will not be satisfied, you will return the item to shipping company with no expense.The shipping is payed by me.Don`t worry you won`t have to pay any taxes,everything is included.

Please reply with your complete name and shipping address in your next email and let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about this purchase so that I can open a transaction at eBay and to move forward with this deal.After that they will contact you with all necessary information about this transaction(terms,buyer protection,payment instructions,invoice,etc.).

P.S. Please don`t forget to send me your full name and address.

P.S. Once i receive your full name and address we can start talking on the phone too,right now i have too many potential buyers and i can`t talk with all of them,i hope you understand.

Am I being cynical? to me its a definite scam so I am not touching this one with a 10 foot pole.... but here's the link to the ad if anyone wants to bite...

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/Central_Ontario/Snowmobiles_2006_to_2009/4758/74115616/2009_POLARIS_800_DRAGON_Switchback.aspx?gok=Snowmobiles+2006+to+2009

Don't touch it !

It's a scam. You will be out of money. There are two or three variations to the scam but, I assure you, it is a scam. Check it out on the net. People are getting burned with this one regularly. Either by having to 'front' some money or by indentity theft or by money being transferred out of their accounts.

You're absolutely right with this one - if it smells like a scam.......

Don't touch it !

It's a scam. You will be out of money. There are two or three variations to the scam but, I assure you, it is a scam. Check it out on the net. People are getting burned with this one regularly. Either by having to 'front' some money or by indentity theft or by money being transferred out of their accounts.

You're absolutely right with this one - if it smells like a scam.......

good point about the identity theft... notice how many times they asked for my full name and address?

and wow, you're right, a quick search on the internet turns up this same scam all over the place with the same asking price of $3100, no matter what type of sled it is and the same

email responses....

i just realised that I emailed them from my work email which has my name and work address in my signature.. I hope that isn't a problem in terms of identify theft :banghead: ...

and wow, you're right, a quick search on the internet turns up this same scam all over the place with the same asking price of $3100, no matter what type of sled it is and the same

email responses....

i just realised that I emailed them from my work email which has my name and work address in my signature.. I hope that isn't a problem in terms of identify theft :banghead: ...

Big time scam, she was selling a Yamy sled for the same price 2 weeks ago.

Whenever replying to any ads take your signatures off your email, also create a separate

email account that is not linked to your every day personal account. This is what

my IT department suggest doing.

email responses....

no i dont think you will have a problem with that (a dancing mouse shouldnt be able to figure that out ) :mrgreen::mrgreen:

email responses....

naw you can get more than that out of the phone book . Birthdays are an issue that is why you will not see me post mine on here or anywhere

email responses....

naw you can get more than that out of the phone book . Birthdays are an issue that is why you will not see me post mine on here or anywhere

you told it was because the records never went back that far,,,, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

email responses....

you told it was because the records never went back that far,,,, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

post-19720-126787745719.gif

:coffeespit:

email responses....

:coffeespit::coffeespit:

I saw the same type of ad last year. I knew it was a scam so I keep asking questions to see what kind of BS answers I would get. The story sounds very familar, but I thinnk that they said they won it in a raffle.

The one email that I got no response from was when I asked for the name of the shipping company and a copy of the bill/container number where the sled is stored.

No emails after that, go figure!!

Archived