Oxen Narrow

scarylarry

Went for a ride on Friday to Oxen Narrows from Clear Lake (Kearney).Took the trais to Deerhurst then the lakes to the narrows,the lakes were flat and fast. The 3 lakes to the narrow were staked. Had lunch(very good philly cheesesteak). We then headed to Dorset for Gas,the Dorset trails weren't great,took 95 back into clear lake and it was groomed to perfection.

Went for a ride on Friday to Oxen Narrows from Clear Lake (Kearney).Took the trais to Deerhurst then the lakes to the narrows,the lakes were flat and fast. The 3 lakes to the narrow were staked. Had lunch(very good philly cheesesteak). We then headed to Dorset for Gas,the Dorset trails weren't great,took 95 back into clear lake and it was groomed to perfection.

Hey, scarylarry...can you clarify which "3 lakes" you are referring to? We're thinking of running Lake of Bays down to Dorset tomorrow, but as far as I know, the only stake-line on it is from South Portage to Dwight Bay, which is obviously nowhere near Dorset. Since I don't know the typical route down L. of Bays, I'm reluctant to go that way without stakes...was that part of your route? Thanks for any assistance. :right_on:

Mouse,

Which way you thinking of going? Over to Baysville and then across? Or up to Huntsville and then down?

Who are you replying to? :crazy:

Damn, have to scrape the crust out of my eyes earlier in the morning,

Ill start again!

Hey irREV,

Im guessing your going down from South Portage? Its a long lake run but basically you can run straight down the lake instead of going left into Dwight Bay. When you see a big island in your way, turn left and follow the lake southeast. keep to your right and you will see the highway of sled tracks leading you into Dorset.

There used to be a land route that went over from Dwight bay but not sure if thats still around. I find the trails from Dwight to dorset a fast run so I usually run that as a lake run on LOB is long and boring.

Up to you.

I would bring a map and scout it that way. Its not hard.

UTS

Damn, have to scrape the crust out of my eyes earlier in the morning,

Ill start again!

Hey irREV,

Im guessing your going down from South Portage? Its a long lake run but basically you can run straight down the lake instead of going left into Dwight Bay. When you see a big island in your way, turn left and follow the lake southeast. keep to your right and you will see the highway of sled tracks leading you into Dorset.

There used to be a land route that went over from Dwight bay but not sure if thats still around. I find the trails from Dwight to dorset a fast run so I usually run that as a lake run on LOB is long and boring.

Up to you.

I would bring a map and scout it that way. Its not hard.

UTS

Thanks, UTS. I assume the "big island" you are referring to is Bigwin. Are you suggesting that the favoured route is to go north of it (the relatively narrow channel on the Port Cunnington side) or around the south side into the main lake basin? I'm always leery of narrow channels because of potential currents making the ice unsafe.

We last ran Lake of Bays some years ago, but it was in a larger group, and I wasn't leading, so I don't recall the exact route. One thing I do recall is that we took a "short-cut" land portage between the main lake and one of the big bays (into Haystack Bay, I think) to shorten the route, rather than running all the way down to the main basin at Bigwin...maybe that short-cut doesn't exist anymore (?) And at the Dorset end, the "highway of sled tracks" you refer to hopefully doesn't take you through somebody's back yard. :?:

Yes North of Bigwin is usually fine. The channel isnt that narrow.

The land route through haystack used to be fine but I have no idea anymore.

As for the highway, it just leads you down the lake into Dorset. You will be fine.

Once you get past Bigwin head right or south over to the land as there are two islands with rocks all over the place so avoid those and then just follow the bay into Dorset. If you pass under hydro wires with the cones on them so Planes can see them your heading into the right direction.

When you get into Dorset go straight over to the right and dont cut across the docks as you will be on very thin ice. I understand the narrows are iced over this year so be careful. Go over to the far right and look for the trail into Town.

Yes North of Bigwin is usually fine. The channel isnt that narrow.

The land route through haystack used to be fine but I have no idea anymore.

As for the highway, it just leads you down the lake into Dorset. You will be fine.

Once you get past Bigwin head right or south over to the land as there are two islands with rocks all over the place so avoid those and then just follow the bay into Dorset. If you pass under hydro wires with the cones on them so Planes can see them your heading into the right direction.

When you get into Dorset go straight over to the right and dont cut across the docks as you will be on very thin ice. I understand the narrows are iced over this year so be careful. Go over to the far right and look for the trail into Town.

OK, thanks for the tips, UTS. :right_on: We'll see how we feel tomorrow, in terms of a final choice between land route vs trail route.

Hey irRev, heres what I did a week ago. The Black is the dwight to N.Portage route which is staked. The green is what we did, I was just winging it and ended up at the north od Bigwon route. It was not heavily travelled but was fine with some slush near where it meets the blue route.

The blue route looks like the way to go, it was a highway, tons of sleds running up that way into haystack bay once we met up with this route it was nothing but sled tracks and easy to follow, so I assume its the same all the way up haystack.

IMPORTANT, I just drew this route and it is not actual tracks, but is based on what I saw and what I have from Reveds GPS trail map files. So Im not positive about the land crossing south of Dwight.

If you have a gps that route is on Reveds file and is bang on, I highly reccomend this file. If not find the sled tracks and it should be easy to follow.

Good Luck, Todd

click to enlarge

post-19917-126633612659.jpg

Good map Todd.

I would go between those two islands on the blue lines btw. And Port Cunnington is mapped incorrectly. But its the exact route and not hard.

:right_on:

YA, I was just freehanding it when drawing it, from what I saw it was a freeway so once out there the finer details should be easy to follow.

It was our first time doing the LOB route and now that we got that out of the way, the intimidation factor is gone and we will use it more, going to do the proper route next week.

Todd

Hey irRev, heres what I did a week ago. The Black is the dwight to N.Portage route which is staked. The green is what we did, I was just winging it and ended up at the north od Bigwon route. It was not heavily travelled but was fine with some slush near where it meets the blue route.

The blue route looks like the way to go, it was a highway, tons of sleds running up that way into haystack bay once we met up with this route it was nothing but sled tracks and easy to follow, so I assume its the same all the way up haystack.

IMPORTANT, I just drew this route and it is not actual tracks, but is based on what I saw and what I have from Reveds GPS trail map files. So Im not positive about the land crossing south of Dwight.

If you have a gps that route is on Reveds file and is bang on, I highly reccomend this file. If not find the sled tracks and it should be easy to follow.

Good Luck, Todd

click to enlarge

post-19917-126633612659.jpg

Thanks, Todd...now that I see your map (very helpful), I'm sure it was the blue route we took some years ago. I just can't recall exactly where we came off the ice in Dorset, and got hooked up to the land trail again...is it anywhere near the gas station? (I do recall that it was some distance from the narrows, which were open at that time.)

Archived