Memories to Rosseau (Marriott)

J-Fly

Planning on lunch at Memories Saturday and then 201/340/330 to The Rosseau. I understand the trails are packed but Whitefish is not staked, anybody been there today?

Wildbill knows of what he speaks. Nonetheless, sleds have been on the lake since at least Dec 30. Last weekend I drilled some holes in one area - 6" of clear ice. There are thin spots, though. You'll find lots of tracks and see numerous sleds on the path you want to take. I sure wouldn't want to slow down or stop out there.

Thanks,

Is there an alternate route?

I see Sandy Pines Rd but where does it re-attach to the safe trail?

Jim

Rosseau trip was great...what a hotel. The bankruptcy announcement is just a formality, service and food are great. Sledder friendly pricing also.

The trails were all very good, south to the Rosseau Marriott were a little rough with lots of road running.

How did you get those trails on Google Earth??

Assuming Google Earth doesn't have a built-in GPX import, you need to use something like GPSBabel to convert your GDB or GPX file to KML/KMZ.

The newer series of Garmin (Oregon & Dakota) work with Google Earth back and forth.

The newer series of Garmin (Oregon & Dakota) work with Google Earth back and forth.

Actually, now that I think of it, if you load the track into Mapsource, there's an option to open in Google Earth.

I use a Garmin 750 (discontinued but works great), it tracks our route, I then plug it into my computer via a mini USB cable and open the Garmin file. I open the GPX file and this opens automatically in GPS Trackmaker (I think this is on my hard drive, but you can download it for free). You must zoom in to your area, a little tricky.

At the top right of GPS Trackmaker there is a Google Earth icon, click it and your tracks are over-layed. (you may have to download the Google Earth program, also free).

I then save the display as a Jpeg and I can email or imbed as I wish.

I can also send a link to the rest of the party and they can open Google Earth with our tracks but it is now interactive i.e. zoom in and out, with great detail.

Not really a tech guy but I find it rather easy, sometimes it's just luck.

More details are on this site under GPS.

Archived