Ice Breaker coming into Midland Harbour

Yukon

MIDLAND – A United States Coast Guard vessel will conduct icebreaking operations starting Jan. 4 to clear the shipping channel into Midland Bay.The American cutter Mobile Bay is working on behalf of the Canadian Coast Guard to clear the way for anticipated commercial vessels.The job is scheduled to continue until Jan. 7.Ice fishermen, snowmobilers and other recreational users of the ice are advised to keep away from the icebreaker’s path in order to avoid hazardous and unstable ice conditions.

No sweat STG ,

Yes the treeline is in from present island to Midland however there are reports that a 5 ft ice ridge has formed off the tip of Present island directly on the line.

The stake line won't be put in to Penetang until things freeze up from the Ice breaker.

Reports I've heard 9 inches clear Black ice.

If you don't know the ice and where the problems lie don't go out there. 300ft depths out there and its too risky right now.

Presure cracks appear at this time of year since the ice is constanly growing , can be a real threat at night or when Squalls whip up !

I'll wait till February ! :lol:

Hopefully it won't be over a foot of slush like last year :banghead:

Bumpity Bump Bump !

Word is the Ice Breaker is coming in today. I'm going to try and see if I can snap a few pics and watch it come in. Just a warning when it comes in through the shipping channel it makes a wide sweep of the tips of Penetang point and Beausolei island , I will be watching it from the island. Staying at least 2kms away from it. Don't try and cross its path since it causes the ice to become unstabble ahead of its path. Should make for a interesting crunch !

Well it seems as though it snuck through yesterday , yup many tracks venturing out there still.

Darn wish I could have seen it come in.

Oh well I guess I will have to catch it in March.

Be safe folks.

Well it seems as though it snuck through yesterday ..

How does an ice breaker sneak through :lol: :poke:

Sentry duty for Yukon?

Well it seems as though it snuck through yesterday ..

How does an ice breaker sneak through :lol: :poke:

Sentry duty for Yukon?

If you have a basic time frame when it's coming back you can give the Canadian Coast Guard a call and they can update the location for you( might be American or Canadian breaker). Did that a few years ago in the Sound...It was worth the 5am arrival.. It was the CCGS Samuel Risley and you could hear him coming for miles. I had my handheld VHF and was talking to them about ice conditions etc...One BIG spotlight. :right_on::right_on::right_on::right_on:

Thanks for the link Faceman I will have a look when I get home. The A channel news said they are leaving tommorow. Will try and see if I can snap it then.

Hey Canuck I pm'd you on the Baxter club forum.

A channel at 11 pm raises a good point. The vessel for which the ice breaker cleared the ice has not yet gone through. Expected date is Jan . 12th.

Messy. Huge chunks of ice.

I see the tree line is in place. Have warning signs been posted about the unstable ice?

Archived