Haliburton - Update

Fred Quimby

I rode the hailburton area as well on the weekend. Rail line from hailburton to kinmount is in good to great condition. Grooming really helped on saturday. I also rode across head lake in town and hit the b top trail out to whitney. That trail hasn't been groomed yet and there is still the odd rock sticking out. Could use some more snow and a few groomer passes. I tried trail 7 as well. Turned around at the lake, since there was no stakes yet. 200km off fooling around. Another week of cold and abit more snow and everything will be good.

Any sign of anything going on at Wig A mog Inn? (trail 7 passes through there). It is supposed to closed for renovation this Winter, then new management next year. It was very poorly run this past year. Plus, the economy did not help.

Hey Fred

I live on Wigamog Road and the Inn is closed. There is a security company minding the property and from what I have heard don't think it will be open at all this year. The newer buildings are time shares and they are still operating. Lot's of sleds there last week and the sled traffic in and around Haliburton was crazy, line ups to get into McKecks mid week.

Things should be not bad for this weekend as far as conditions go these cold days are really helping.

What's up with Tall Pines? They do not have any trails listed as open.

Thanks Shake It..

That is too bad for Wig A Mog...what a great spot. I was over there in the Summer for dinner, walked in and was told the kitchen was not open...this was at 6:30 in the evening! So, out we went. That is no way to run a business. The place was full of cars too. Looked booked to capacity.

Not sure about Tall Pines. I remember when the HCSA was the ugly duckling and Tall Pines was such a good system. The last couple winters there were trails that were never touched and many that were groomed so infrequently that they were often really lousy to ride on. The last several years the HCSA has become a really good club IMO, and it is a pleasure to buy and ride their system.

Do you know what the hold up is with the floating bridge into Minden? I am not going there until that mess in and out of town is fixed. What a nightmare that can be.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I rode the hailburton area as well on the weekend. Rail line from hailburton to kinmount is in good to great condition. Grooming really helped on saturday. I also rode across head lake in town and hit the b top trail out to whitney. That trail hasn't been groomed yet and there is still the odd rock sticking out. Could use some more snow and a few groomer passes. I tried trail 7 as well. Turned around at the lake, since there was no stakes yet. 200km off fooling around. Another week of cold and abit more snow and everything will be good.

Any sign of anything going on at Wig A mog Inn? (trail 7 passes through there). It is supposed to closed for renovation this Winter, then new management next year. It was very poorly run this past year. Plus, the economy did not help.

Hey Fred

I live on Wigamog Road and the Inn is closed. There is a security company minding the property and from what I have heard don't think it will be open at all this year. The newer buildings are time shares and they are still operating. Lot's of sleds there last week and the sled traffic in and around Haliburton was crazy, line ups to get into McKecks mid week.

Things should be not bad for this weekend as far as conditions go these cold days are really helping.

Thanks Shake It..

That is too bad for Wig A Mog...what a great spot. I was over there in the Summer for dinner, walked in and was told the kitchen was not open...this was at 6:30 in the evening! So, out we went. That is no way to run a business. The place was full of cars too. Looked booked to capacity.

Not sure about Tall Pines. I remember when the HCSA was the ugly duckling and Tall Pines was such a good system. The last couple winters there were trails that were never touched and many that were groomed so infrequently that they were often really lousy to ride on. The last several years the HCSA has become a really good club IMO, and it is a pleasure to buy and ride their system.

Do you know what the hold up is with the floating bridge into Minden? I am not going there until that mess in and out of town is fixed. What a nightmare that can be.

Hey Fred

We had a couple of bad experiences in the dinning room with the Wig last summer as well. There are 4 different owners for the resort and from what I understand there is a big battle going on with the finances and very poor management. Your right it's a shame and I hope they are able to get things organized and reopened to it's previous glory!

Hopefully Tall Pines gets thing going we have all ways loved doing loops from our area up through there for day trips, really awesome trails!

As far as the Minden bridge goes the HCSA has done there part and have put all the funding that was required into the hands of the township. Hopefully it will be done soon!

Hope to see you out on the trails one of these days!

Tall Pines has been and is out on the trails getting them ready, has anyone been up there to check? there are lots of closed trails in muskoka and haliburton right now. take a look at the MSR website and tell me how many trails are open or limited compared to closed...

There have been a number of culverts installed, bridges repaired, trails cut, signed and brushed, but they need more snow! Dorset does not have as much snow as areas north, south, east or west. that's a fact.

Kawagama and Lake of Bays are also NOT frozen yet so its difficult for a club who's trails intersect and rely on those trails so much. The trails are very much intertwined with the lakes being run.

there are also number of very nasty swamps that are still steaming along D101 and 64, those 2 trails are the first to open, and are usually the BEST trails in the area. I have heard from a bird that 64 is pretty good right now save for a few sections that limit it opening... They are also open 1 to 3 weeks later than Y16 or other HCSA trails almost every year.

Trail 9 to gooderham is pretty much like all of Tall Pines, take a run down there right now if you don't smash the bulkhead off a stump, tree or bury it in a swamp! lol

there is more to open trails than grooming & they need help with that. Its a completely new board and only 1 of them is local (Garry Evans) who is working his tail off I can assure you.

I'll leave out the details of how the club was left, but "broke" is a good word lol

Some of the trails haven't been cleared in over 10 years! just groomed when there's snow.

I am taking on 1 of those trails as a personal project and it is a B1TCH let me tell you 10mi of rocks, roots, boulders, swamps and more beaver crap. it needs 2' of packed powder to be ridable in any way. it leads to open water and a swamp so its always late to open.

More work is needed but like HCSA was a few short years ago (closing its doors according to the Echo ad) they are working hard. HCSA has about 400kms of trails to tall pines 200 but they have literally thousands more permits sold & as of a few years ago HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS in the bank! lol man would that be nice, I just need a G for a skid steer for a day lol

happy trails boys they're coming!

Hey Fred

Thanks Shake It..

Hey Fred

We had a couple of bad experiences in the dinning room with the Wig last summer as well. There are 4 different owners for the resort and from what I understand there is a big battle going on with the finances and very poor management. Your right it's a shame and I hope they are able to get things organized and reopened to it's previous glory!

Hopefully Tall Pines gets thing going we have all ways loved doing loops from our area up through there for day trips, really awesome trails!

As far as the Minden bridge goes the HCSA has done there part and have put all the funding that was required into the hands of the township. Hopefully it will be done soon!

|Minden Hills has no money from what I hear, they built the library and there it went... also how in the hell do you put a floater into a current like that? it really goes, I jumped off that tree by the beaver all the time as a kid, and if you weren't careful you'd be down by the bridge in a few strokes lo

I never cared about running the bridge or road personally, the Hamilton trail is more concerning IMO

hopefully they can get it done.

Hey Fred

Thanks Shake It..

Hey Fred

|Minden Hills has no money from what I hear, they built the library and there it went... also how in the hell do you put a floater into a current like that? it really goes, I jumped off that tree by the beaver all the time as a kid, and if you weren't careful you'd be down by the bridge in a few strokes lo

I never cared about running the bridge or road personally, the Hamilton trail is more concerning IMO

hopefully they can get it done.

The river in Bracebridge really flows and they made that work

Tall Pines has been and is out on the trails getting them ready, has anyone been up there to check? there are lots of closed trails in muskoka and haliburton right now. take a look at the MSR website and tell me how many trails are open or limited compared to closed...

There have been a number of culverts installed, bridges repaired, trails cut, signed and brushed, but they need more snow! Dorset does not have as much snow as areas north, south, east or west. that's a fact.

Kawagama and Lake of Bays are also NOT frozen yet so its difficult for a club who's trails intersect and rely on those trails so much. The trails are very much intertwined with the lakes being run.

there are also number of very nasty swamps that are still steaming along D101 and 64, those 2 trails are the first to open, and are usually the BEST trails in the area. I have heard from a bird that 64 is pretty good right now save for a few sections that limit it opening... They are also open 1 to 3 weeks later than Y16 or other HCSA trails almost every year.

Trail 9 to gooderham is pretty much like all of Tall Pines, take a run down there right now if you don't smash the bulkhead off a stump, tree or bury it in a swamp! lol

there is more to open trails than grooming & they need help with that. Its a completely new board and only 1 of them is local (Garry Evans) who is working his tail off I can assure you.

I'll leave out the details of how the club was left, but "broke" is a good word lol

Some of the trails haven't been cleared in over 10 years! just groomed when there's snow.

I am taking on 1 of those trails as a personal project and it is a B1TCH let me tell you 10mi of rocks, roots, boulders, swamps and more beaver crap. it needs 2' of packed powder to be ridable in any way. it leads to open water and a swamp so its always late to open.

More work is needed but like HCSA was a few short years ago (closing its doors according to the Echo ad) they are working hard. HCSA has about 400kms of trails to tall pines 200 but they have literally thousands more permits sold & as of a few years ago HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS in the bank! lol man would that be nice, I just need a G for a skid steer for a day lol

Thanks for all the Info Canadoo

I like yourself know what it's like to get trials open. I have volunteered for the HCSA for years, brushing, signing, staking lakes, grooming, etc..........

I was just very simply asking if anyone knows the status of there trail system and I thank you again for all the info. :D

Good luck with all that your doing to help out the club I and I'm sure everyone else on this board truly appreciates it!!!

Thanks for all the Info Canadoo

I like yourself know what it's like to get trials open. I have volunteered for the HCSA for years, brushing, signing, staking lakes, grooming, etc..........

I was just very simply asking if anyone knows the status of there trail system and I thank you again for all the info. :D

Good luck with all that your doing to help out the club I and I'm sure everyone else on this board truly appreciates it!!!

didn't mean to get my back up and I am not doing anything worth appreciation either, its totally selfish; I love sledding and I wish I could do more.

UPDATE: Tall Pines have signed off on a number of trails to be changed from CLOSED to OPEN or LIMITED

this should be reflected on the MSR Website shortly, keep checking for updates...

Also, please be careful out there, as we are still in early season conditions; rocks, trees, branches and other obstacles are lurking. BE CAUTIOUS & avoid ALL LAKE CROSSINGS

ps. WE NEED MORE SNOW!!!

:D

This is a "two parter"...

Firstly....gawd, I am in no way slamming Tall Pines. I know the area really well and it seems as though little was done the last couple winters to make the trails really good. That was in contrast as to how those trails used to be years ago. They were great and there was also an era when the HCSA was in rough shape too. Your explanation of "no brushing and trail maintenance" explains it all, and they just ran the groomer over things when there was snow. Sounds like they were good at spending money but not on the right things. I know how much work these volunteers do to get trails opened and keep them opened. It is tiring and time consuming. I have done a little here or there when time permits and my hat goes off to all those that spend countless hours on the trails, in groomers, checking ice, clearing brush...it never ends.

The second part is in reference to the floating bridge in Minden. This town has made some very critical mistakes IMO. Not just towards sledders but as to how the town has shifted from really running along Bobcaygeon Road to organizing more businesses out on Hwy 35. With traffic never really leaving the highway, the "downtown" area has really suffered for years. Businesses look derelict, shoddy and infrequently travelled in comparison to how things looked in previous years. The seemingly lack of cooperation with the HCSA has not made it easy for sledders to get in and out of Minden, so many just don't bother anymore. The floating bridge should have improved the access in and out of town and that would have brought sledders to within feet of restaurants, gas stations and other services. That floating bridge no matter how difficult to install should be a cooperative effort, and it needs to move forward! The town spent a load of money on "riverwalk" and the footbridge over the Gull, then they torn down part of the old "brown owl" to make room for Canadian Tire which says they are not coming until a water tower get's built now. They tore down homes for Canadian Tire and left empty overgrown weedy lot's. Good business decisions?? Come on now!

The HCSA has been working very hard the last several years to bring back the former attraction these trails had. They continue to develop partnerships with the HATVA and this floating bridge will do wonders for the access into and out of town. They have done some MAJOR work to the "old BTOP - now trail 2" into Minden from hwy 118. They just need the go ahead with this bridge! Or perhaps the town would rather miss out on the money sledders can bring into town? Haliburton is bustling with sledders lined up at restaurants, gas bars, and shops. It is easy as pie to get into Haliburton and back out again, using more than one trail too.

Unless the powers that be get their heads screwed on correctly. Minden will die a slow death. People want to come to Minden, it is a nice area and there are some nice things to see and do there, but it is failing fast. The HCSA was or is willing to pay for almost all of this floating bridge and then allow the town to use it in the Summer as a dock or something, this is what I have been told anyways. So who knkows what the hold up is now. I was also informed that the HCSA needed a little help from the township to pay for the moorings for the bridge and this was the hang up. That bridge would enable sledders to get through the downtown core without having to ride the road over the Gull and drive between parked cars and a alleyway to get back to the trail. That was a pain in the A$$. As for the rest of trail 2, in and around the Queen Elizabeth Park, I have been told that because of the extensive work needed to re-open that section and the fact that both Provincial and Federal governments have a stake in that property, the permit process to do work is head-spinning! Multi tiered process and red tape abound is making that process mind boggling. They are not giving up though.

The good news is that more and more HCSA trails are opening on a daily basis and the website reflects that! :D

thanks for the update Fred I got my back up a bit and I appologize, you and Shake It are not deserving of my comments in the slightest. You just read so much stuff on the net you end up thining everyone is a whiner, not that I want to make any excuses.

Minden is getting killed for sure... such a quaint town, it WAS the gem of the county, Haliburton was the dive... the rail trail is a big reason for sure.

Tall Pines has updated MSR to show limited and open trails. just to set the record straight last year was the first year with a completely new exec. most of the board are cottagers with the exception of Garry the pres and his family. Last year the Tall Pines trails were open before most of the HCSA, a new Pres always wants to make an impression and I'm sure HCSA has some momentum because of that, I applaud them. I've ridden up to Whitney a few times and down the railbed this year and they were great. I can't wait to hit up the new B in the next few weeks and connect with Tall Pines. 64 is my favorite trail from end to end in the county :D

Often what is perceived as "bitching" is an offer of help, or a request to understand. There are other times where it is what it is, and we can't help those that are ignorant. ;)

Often what is perceived as "bitching" is an offer of help, or a request to understand. There are other times where it is what it is, and we can't help those that are ignorant. ;)

For sure!

I share Canadoo's frustration and I know what Shake It did for the club too. The appreciation seems to always be faint, yet it is easy to bitch when you roll up, offload and ride the trails like you stole your machine, only to wonder why the trails are the way they are.

My only complaint is with the township of Minden. It seems they are doing nothing to encourage tourism dollars except the "riverwalk" project that never get's used. Time will tell. I know I try to spread my money around the county yet it get's tougher to invest in anything in poor Minden. I keep trying though.

Somebody's ears must have been burning. The floating bridge into Minden is supposed to be installed January 19th! :D That will greatly improve access and for those who don't know the area it will be easier to navigate. Most of HCSA trails are "OPEN" and the rest are coming along. The club is apparently checking ice thickness to open the trails that have lengthy water crossings. Can't wait till next weekend.

Great News!!!

if the lakes are good,I am all over that!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Haliburton Lake is still not staked. Less than 10'' of ice. Also, Kenisis is still open in spots. I am not sure about Redstone, but you can bet it is still pretty dicey. All other HCSA trails are either fully "OPEN" or at least "LIMITED". Kashagawigamog is staked also. There is a slight re route through the Wig a mog Inn. The trail (7) used to run through the parking lot and up in behind. This year the trail runs just to the other side of the Moose Bar and Grille.

Eagle and Moose Lakes are not yet staked. It just has not been cold enough for long enough. The bigger lakes are staying open and the smaller lakes although are frozen are just not that safe yet, in many cases.

Arrived at the cottage this afternoon. Not much fresh snow at all since new years. However, the trails look pretty good. The warm temperatures have not rolled in here, although it is nowhere near as cold as it should be. Damn good thing for that major dumping in late December, or there would not be trails today. Pray for more fresh snow.

Headed out first thing in the morning. I will update after the weekend. Computer is getting shut off for the weekend. Happy riding all. :wavey:

have Fun,,,,remember,track side down,,, :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

will need a lake report Mon,,,, :mrgreen:

So here is what the weekend was like in the Haliburton area.

Headed out on trail 4 Saturday morning. About -1 degree, so pretty mild overall. With absolutely no appreciable amounts of snow since New Years (and actually since the major dumping in late December), I was not really expecting great trails at all. First of all, I can not remember when I have seen so many sleds out on the trails! :) There were multiple groups of riders in packs of four, five, six and more! Many families were out with the little ones and yes even the idiots were out too, just to round things off. Even in March break, I have never seen so many riders out in one day! The sport is alive and well.

Rode trail 4 down to the TOPB and into Haliburton. I would honestly rate the trails at 6-7/10. Remember...no real new snow! With so much rider pressure and the milder temps things got pretty washboardy by mid day. Corners were down to snirt in a few places ( for thanks to those who insist on spinning it out in the corners). Although, there were no major holes or patch jobs, the trails really need more snow. Eight to twelve inches of good snow is for sure in order.

Haliburton was packed. There were no less than twenty five sleds in town at any given time. Great for business! Proceeded south down the B103 to past trail 7 and down towards Kinmount. Doubled back and cut across trail 7 up through Wig a Mog and the Pinestone. Again, trails were really rough from all the rider pressure and lack of snow. Rode back into town for some lunch and a break. After lunch, headed up to Eagle Lake and then down to the TOPB again and back towards the cottage. All in all a great day for riding. The arms and upper back got a good work out from those trails. I can't blame the club at all. They were out grooming again on Saturday night and working the majic with what is there. I can't imagine what the trails would be like if it weren't for the major dumping late in December!!

Lakes are all together a different story. Some lakes have a solid ten inches of ice and some are still open in places. Kashagawigamog is pretty well frozen and safe for travel. Head lake into Haliburton is also safe. Eagle and Moose although smaller lakes, are still not all that safe. Redstone and Kenisis are still open in places! So it really varies from lake to lake. There was a week and a bit where it was really cold all day and night but it has become mild up there too. Zero to overnights of minus three or so. Should keep the trails in decent shape but snow is needed. Looking at the long range forecast, I don't see a major snowfall coming...start praying boys and girls. Logged in another 200 plus Km's and some nice riding that was reminiscent of early March conditions.

I should also mention that the HCSA has done a great job with signage. Any re route is well marked and they are using "new" signs to show route changes. All trails are clearly marked and easy to follow. This is great in comparison to just a few years ago when there was but only a handful of signs. People just need to leave them in place.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::right_on::right_on:

So here is what the weekend was like in the Haliburton area.

Headed out on trail 4 Saturday morning. About -1 degree, so pretty mild overall. With absolutely no appreciable amounts of snow since New Years (and actually since the major dumping in late December), I was not really expecting great trails at all. First of all, I can not remember when I have seen so many sleds out on the trails! :) There were multiple groups of riders in packs of four, five, six and more! Many families were out with the little ones and yes even the idiots were out too, just to round things off. Even in March break, I have never seen so many riders out in one day! The sport is alive and well.

Rode trail 4 down to the TOPB and into Haliburton. I would honestly rate the trails at 6-7/10. Remember...no real new snow! With so much rider pressure and the milder temps things got pretty washboardy by mid day. Corners were down to snirt in a few places ( for thanks to those who insist on spinning it out in the corners). Although, there were no major holes or patch jobs, the trails really need more snow. Eight to twelve inches of good snow is for sure in order.

Haliburton was packed. There were no less than twenty five sleds in town at any given time. Great for business! Proceeded south down the B103 to past trail 7 and down towards Kinmount. Doubled back and cut across trail 7 up through Wig a Mog and the Pinestone. Again, trails were really rough from all the rider pressure and lack of snow. Rode back into town for some lunch and a break. After lunch, headed up to Eagle Lake and then down to the TOPB again and back towards the cottage. All in all a great day for riding. The arms and upper back got a good work out from those trails. I can't blame the club at all. They were out grooming again on Saturday night and working the majic with what is there. I can't imagine what the trails would be like if it weren't for the major dumping late in December!!

Lakes are all together a different story. Some lakes have a solid ten inches of ice and some are still open in places. Kashagawigamog is pretty well frozen and safe for travel. Head lake into Haliburton is also safe. Eagle and Moose although smaller lakes, are still not all that safe. Redstone and Kenisis are still open in places! So it really varies from lake to lake. There was a week and a bit where it was really cold all day and night but it has become mild up there too. Zero to overnights of minus three or so. Should keep the trails in decent shape but snow is needed. Looking at the long range forecast, I don't see a major snowfall coming...start praying boys and girls. Logged in another 200 plus Km's and some nice riding that was reminiscent of early March conditions.

I should also mention that the HCSA has done a great job with signage. Any re route is well marked and they are using "new" signs to show route changes. All trails are clearly marked and easy to follow. This is great in comparison to just a few years ago when there was but only a handful of signs. People just need to leave them in place.

Great report and I agree with you.

I know what you mean about the traffic!! We did the run from Haliburton to Whitney and back on Saturday and I have never in 15 years seen this amount of traffic in one day. We pulled into Whitney around 1:00pm and between the gas station and the Mad Musher there were AT LEAST 100 SLEDS!!!! Unreal!!!!

The ride up was awesome perfectly groomed trails but on the way back it was a different story with the trails being beaten with all that traffic. Still a great day out on the trails with my wife and 2 kids :D:D

thanks for the update Fred!

I agree the clubs are working magic with the snow thats on them.. I can't complain about the riding I did, put 200mi on over the weekend, we did some trail work on the sherborne rd, not a ton of traffic, but busy none the less. with the lakes still UNSAFE we aren't getting a lot of traffic thank god! we need more snow!!!

rode from Bancroft-Barry's Bay-Whitney on sunday and the trails were near perfect for the snow amount and quality, with virtually no traffic. maybe I just got up late lol

all the lakes are capped over now, including Kennisis, just need some cold to tighten them up. no snow on top should make for good ice over the next few weeks or more if it doesn't get nice and cold :D

thanks for the update Fred!

I agree the clubs are working magic with the snow thats on them.. I can't complain about the riding I did, put 200mi on over the weekend, we did some trail work on the sherborne rd, not a ton of traffic, but busy none the less. with the lakes still UNSAFE we aren't getting a lot of traffic thank god! we need more snow!!!

rode from Bancroft-Barry's Bay-Whitney on sunday and the trails were near perfect for the snow amount and quality, with virtually no traffic. maybe I just got up late lol

all the lakes are capped over now, including Kennisis, just need some cold to tighten them up. no snow on top should make for good ice over the next few weeks or more if it doesn't get nice and cold :D

Good to hear kenisis is capped. Boshkung is still open in all the usual spots. Guys running the open water on the weekend near my place. thought one of them went into the drink! Heard a loud crack when he was skipping off the water!

The much awaited and anticipated floating bridge is installed in Minden.

This will make navigation in and out of town a reality again without too much hassle!

There is supposed to be a slight re route to access the bridge from trail 2/ 4. The bridge will enable sleds to cross the Gull river proximal to the current Bobcaygeon road bridge on the main drag.

This is a great step forward for Minden. It has been a menace to get in and out of town for ages now. The HCSA has worked really hard the last few years and several presidents and volunteers alike have played a major role in finally getting this done. :D

The much awaited and anticipated floating bridge is installed in Minden.

This will make navigation in and out of town a reality again without too much hassle!

There is supposed to be a slight re route to access the bridge from trail 2/ 4. The bridge will enable sleds to cross the Gull river proximal to the current Bobcaygeon road bridge on the main drag.

This is a great step forward for Minden. It has been a menace to get in and out of town for ages now. The HCSA has worked really hard the last few years and several presidents and volunteers alike have played a major role in finally getting this done. :D

Great News!! Thanks for the update!

Archived