Haliburton - Update

Fred Quimby

Great News for sleders and for the town of Minden!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Freddy The Quim for all your updates. :D

It's great to get up to date info from everywhere but you are doing a terrific job keeping us all exposed no matter how are we are away. Hey, wait for the ...... well , WELL YOU KNOW, WHEE HEEE

Thank you Freddy The Quim for all your updates. :D

It's great to get up to date info from everywhere but you are doing a terrific job keeping us all exposed no matter how are we are away. Hey, wait for the ...... well , WELL YOU KNOW, WHEE HEEE

I'm blind... help I can't see... just had a vision of a naked "exposed" mouse and a whole lot of other naked critters.

• 2 weeks later...

The HCSA is reporting that most trails are either "OPEN" or at least listed as "LIMITED"

With the super cold and the fresh snow they got the last few days the mild and rain events have been reduced as far as the damaging effects they had on the HCSA trails. Well done to the club!!!

There might be some washouts here or there but riding should be decent. Trail bases should be rock solid now. Just need some more snow so that they last. Pray for a good lake effect dumping to sway up there.

The HCSA is reporting that most trails are either "OPEN" or at least listed as "LIMITED"

With the super cold and the fresh snow they got the last few days the mild and rain events have been reduced as far as the damaging effects they had on the HCSA trails. Well done to the club!!!

There might be some washouts here or there but riding should be decent. Trail bases should be rock solid now. Just need some more snow so that they last. Pray for a good lake effect dumping to sway up there.

UPDATE FOR SUNDAY JANUARY 31st

On my own this weekend. Wife at home working, so a ride was in order. Headed out of Carnarvon on the TOPB. Pretty washboard and several washouts from Carnarvon, around Hall's Lake and up towards Big Hawk Lake (6/10)rating. North of the intersection of TOPB HCSA 15 it was pretty decent through the twisties in that section (7.5/10). Cruised up to Ox Narrows and across St.Nora. nice and tight on the lake. Hit TOPB and linked up through Pine Springs. There was some sections that were amazing and ine major huge washout on the TOPB near where it turns into HCSA 2. Rode 2 all the way down to Minden to try the new floating bridge! Trail 2 was decent with some icy sections covered in fresh powder from today. The floating bridge runs in behind the "twisty freeze" ice cream stand and makes the run through Minden a breeze. Across Hwy 35 headed for the B103, was washboardy in sections and smooth in other sections (7/10 overall). The B103 up to Haliburton was well travelled but still fast and decent. Took the TOPB back towards Carnarvon and home. Logged about 130 KM's today. Lot's of good base on the trails now. Washouts have frozen solid, and with some new snow, things will be great. :woot::woot:

On my own this weekend. Wife at home working, so a ride was in order. Headed out of Carnarvon on the TOPB. Pretty washboard and several washouts from Carnarvon, around Hall's Lake and up towards Big Hawk Lake (6/10)rating. North of the intersection of TOPB HCSA 15 it was pretty decent through the twisties in that section (7.5/10). Cruised up to Ox Narrows and across St.Nora. nice and tight on the lake. Hit TOPB and linked up through Pine Springs. There was some sections that were amazing and ine major huge washout on the TOPB near where it turns into HCSA 2. Rode 2 all the way down to Minden to try the new floating bridge! Trail 2 was decent with some icy sections covered in fresh powder from today. The floating bridge runs in behind the "twisty freeze" ice cream stand and makes the run through Minden a breeze. Across Hwy 35 headed for the B103, was washboardy in sections and smooth in other sections (7/10 overall). The B103 up to Haliburton was well travelled but still fast and decent. Took the TOPB back towards Carnarvon and home. Logged about 130 KM's today. Lot's of good base on the trails now. Washouts have frozen solid, and with some new snow, things will be great. :woot::woot:

Did Fred just say something positive ! That therapy that STG is working with him on seems to be working !!!!!!!!

Did Fred just say something positive ! That therapy that STG is working with him on seems to be working !!!!!!!!

Don't jump to conclusions. It's not a weather posting! :poke: :poke:

Don't jump to conclusions. It's not a weather posting! :poke: :poke:

Guyz, Guyz...... small steps, small steps. :-D

What STG and I do in private is none of your concern. Back to the shop with you! :rotflmao:

Hi Fred

We were planning a loop from Parry Sound to Haliburton, Orillia back to PS and notice on the Haliburton map that the B104 to Norland is closed as are the trails on the west side of Hwy 35 going to Orillia.

Is this permanent or just due to snow conditions?

Hi Fred

We were planning a loop from Parry Sound to Haliburton, Orillia back to PS and notice on the Haliburton map that the B104 to Norland is closed as are the trails on the west side of Hwy 35 going to Orillia.

I drove through Norland and the B104 beside the road could sure use more snow. They did pack the trail once this year. There has only a couple of sleds on this trail and I would guess they didn't enjoy it.

Hi Fred

Earlier in the year I exchanged emails with the Carden Snow Drifters - the club that looks after the trails west of 35 going to Orilla - and with the Haliburton club about B104. Both said they intended to have those trails open this year pending snow.

I hope so, we are planning a similar trip to yours and were planning our return route through Norland and the Carden Snow Drifters club trails. And, it's only a couple of weeks from now !

oops, forgot to say.... Carden Club is part of M.O.S.T. and District 8. The trail from Haliburton to Norland is part of the Haliburton Club, District 6. So you've got two different places to look for the conditions updates you want on the OFSC site.

oops, forgot to say.... Carden Club is part of M.O.S.T. and District 8. The trail from Haliburton to Norland is part of the Haliburton Club, District 6. So you've got two different places to look for the conditions updates you want on the OFSC site.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info

STG is correct (hate to say that). The 104 really needs more snow!!

The B104 is FINALLY listed as "limited". The clubs have done as much as they can without more snow. All HCSA trails are "OPEN" except for the TOPB near trail 15 & Pine Springs where there is logging, and trail 11 up to Kenisis due to the weird ice conditions. Looks great!

Nice job on the floating bridge,,,, :right_on::right_on::right_on:

PIC09968.jpg

Just back from almost twelve days of sledding in Haliburton!

The first few days were a blast. I had some guys up from work and we had a few great days of riding on the Haliburton trails. It was also fun as one of the riders had not been on a sled in many years and he really enjoyed the experience! Trails were really decent and we rode extensively through the HCSA system. Saw the groomers out through the week and despite low snow conditions...things were really good. I really enjoy getting out and sledding, be it with my wife, myself or in this case with a group of friends. Nothing like riding with a good group of guys!

The second half of my vacation was as equally as fun. Trails were a little thin by last Sunday, after the long weekend, they were really rough. Did somebody lose the keys to the groomers? I understand that the club has committed to a grooming schedule of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. However, I never saw a groomer since last Friday, and that coupled with the low snow meant that by yesterday the trails were a kidney jiggling back breaking mess! Perhaps there was grooming going on, but it sure was not evident, especially on the TOPB! I am the first to stand up for the club and likewise criticize a little when I think it is due. The TOPB seemed to have not been touched all week and there were loads of mid week riders! So I wonder is the weekend grooming really the only suitable time to groom? Perhaps Friday, Saturday and Wednesday?

All in all the riding was fair and the best part was the fresh air and just being out doing something you enjoy. Sadly..the Haliburton area needs fresh snow and soon. Many trails are granular, with frozen patches. There is already lot's of "snirt" in sections and although the base is good, it won't take another heavy week of riding before things will go south. There were no washouts as it was still cold overnight and I saw only two ice boils here and there. Seems many are trailering into the area as other trail systems are far worse off. I have never seen so many people dropping and sledding in this area as I have this year.

The floating bridge into Minden is great. Makes navigation a breeze. However, there is still a lot of road running if you follow trail 4 into Minden. That stretch from Scotch line all the way across Hwy 35 and to Bobcaygeaon road is a real carbide killer!

Lakes are tight and there is decent snow on them for lube. Ran the Redstone/ Kenisis/ Hawk and Clear lakes yesterday and flew across them all. If you are headed north into this area, then the lakes are the best bet for riding right now..your arms and back will thank you later!

Looking forward to seeing some snow soon. Surprisingly the TWN forecast for this area was almost bang on while Brett at Accucrap predicted normal snowfall in the usual snowbelt regions for the first half of the month. Don't know what he was smoking. There just has not been more than a inch or two in weeks! Better look into a new line of work!

Aaah back to the grind.

Just back from almost twelve days of sledding in Haliburton!

The first few days were a blast. I had some guys up from work and we had a few great days of riding on the Haliburton trails. It was also fun as one of the riders had not been on a sled in many years and he really enjoyed the experience! Trails were really decent and we rode extensively through the HCSA system. Saw the groomers out through the week and despite low snow conditions...things were really good. I really enjoy getting out and sledding, be it with my wife, myself or in this case with a group of friends. Nothing like riding with a good group of guys!

The second half of my vacation was as equally as fun. Trails were a little thin by last Sunday, after the long weekend, they were really rough. Did somebody lose the keys to the groomers? I understand that the club has committed to a grooming schedule of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. However, I never saw a groomer since last Friday, and that coupled with the low snow meant that by yesterday the trails were a kidney jiggling back breaking mess! Perhaps there was grooming going on, but it sure was not evident, especially on the TOPB! I am the first to stand up for the club and likewise criticize a little when I think it is due. The TOPB seemed to have not been touched all week and there were loads of mid week riders! So I wonder is the weekend grooming really the only suitable time to groom? Perhaps Friday, Saturday and Wednesday?

All in all the riding was fair and the best part was the fresh air and just being out doing something you enjoy. Sadly..the Haliburton area needs fresh snow and soon. Many trails are granular, with frozen patches. There is already lot's of "snirt" in sections and although the base is good, it won't take another heavy week of riding before things will go south. There were no washouts as it was still cold overnight and I saw only two ice boils here and there. Seems many are trailering into the area as other trail systems are far worse off. I have never seen so many people dropping and sledding in this area as I have this year.

The floating bridge into Minden is great. Makes navigation a breeze. However, there is still a lot of road running if you follow trail 4 into Minden. That stretch from Scotch line all the way across Hwy 35 and to Bobcaygeaon road is a real carbide killer!

Lakes are tight and there is decent snow on them for lube. Ran the Redstone/ Kenisis/ Hawk and Clear lakes yesterday and flew across them all. If you are headed north into this area, then the lakes are the best bet for riding right now..your arms and back will thank you later!

Looking forward to seeing some snow soon. Surprisingly the TWN forecast for this area was almost bang on while Brett at Accucrap predicted normal snowfall in the usual snowbelt regions for the first half of the month. Don't know what he was smoking. There just has not been more than a inch or two in weeks! Better look into a new line of work!

Aaah back to the grind.

Hi left haliburton village early saturday morning. Rode up across head lake onto b103 north. It was really smooth and flat (since it was just groomed friday night) low on a snow in a few places, but not alot of snirt yet. Hit the B trail for a bit and went by sir sams (road running getting thin here, but still passible) Hit trail 11 and went acroos eagle,moose,redstone lake. Ended up at the forest in an hour and signed up for a the poker run. The forest trails were awesome. Just like riding up in timmins, smooth flat and fast. Best conditions I have seen all year. 600 sleds showed up and by the end of the day there trail system was really worn down too. Lots of familys out riding and was a awesome day at a balmy plus 5 and with the sun out alot of snow melted through out the day. (probabily about half a foot or so) I was hitting alot of rocks on the way back to haliburton. Passed the groomer on the B trail (only had about 6km of trail done, since he just left the clubhouse up there) doh. Sunday I rode the railway line to kinmount and back up to Minden (all was well) decidied to go across the bride to trail 4. had to ditch hop like crazy to make it down all of the roads without over heating. All was well once I got back on the trail it was mint condition. No one riding this side of town at all. Hit the B trail again and it is officially toast now. Almost more dirt then snow. Played on the power lines off the b103 for a few hours and went back to haliburton. They need more snow now after two really balmy sunny days. Did 550kms in two days and had a blast.

They will need a solid foot of snow soon or the season will be in severe peril by month end! Pray for snow and cold so that the snow event is bigger than if it were more mild.

• 2 weeks later...

They will need a solid foot of snow soon or the season will be in severe peril by month end! Pray for snow and cold so that the snow event is bigger than if it were more mild.

How are the lakes holding up in the Haliburton area, in particular Haliburton Lake? With the warm weather, are they getting a lot of slush on top of the ice? I was thinking of a weekend run down from Whitney on the B trail.

I am also looking for info on the trail from witney as we were going to sled over from Eganville this weekend to the snowmobole races at the Pine Stone resort. Any idea if the races are even a go???

I know conditions west of Eganville are good and south towards Griffith are realy good ,they recieved close to two feet of snow last weekend. But east of us Pembroke & Renfrew some trails have had to close do to lack of snow.

I am also looking for info on the trail from witney as we were going to sled over from Eganville this weekend to the snowmobole races at the Pine Stone resort. Any idea if the races are even a go???

I know conditions west of Eganville are good and south towards Griffith are realy good ,they recieved close to two feet of snow last weekend. But east of us Pembroke & Renfrew some trails have had to close do to lack of snow.

good to go & the lakes are awesome. trails will be rough for sure in spots, excellent in others as per the conditions.

there is slush on the lakes though, stick to the packed path and you'll stay out of the deep slush. Wouldn't want to be running a fanner @ +6 on slushy lakes though

Leaving in the AM for what will probably be the last or second last ride of this winter. Gonna try for Whitney.

Archived