Muskoka Gateway Motel Reopened?

revrnd

When I went by on 11 today there were some people out front & I think the lot had been plowed. There was a banner over the sign "Anna's Motel & Restaurant? Has it reopened. When I was thru there earlier this year the place looked closed.

Can anyone fill me in as to its status?

When I went by on 11 today there were some people out front & I think the lot had been plowed. There was a banner over the sign "Anna's Motel & Restaurant? Has it reopened. When I was thru there earlier this year the place looked closed.

Wasn't that the place that burnt down a couple of years back? Left not much more than the stone wall.

No it's not.

Wasn't that the place that burnt down a couple of years back? Left not much more than the stone wall.

I think you are thinking of Algonquin Lodge in Lake St. Peter.

I do think there's a stone chimney standing somewhere along gasoline alley on 11. Also, there's not much left @ the Gravenhurst Shell (northbound side). Just some cinder blocks & rubble.

I do think there's a stone chimney standing somewhere along gasoline alley on 11.

I got a email from a non-sledding friend that lives in Bracebridge. The chimney is in Kilworthy, further south.

I do think there's a stone chimney standing somewhere along gasoline alley on 11.

I got a email from a non-sledding friend that lives in Bracebridge. The chimney is in Kilworthy, further south.

OK then... where is the Gateway? in relation to Gravenhurst?

It's on the east side of 11 just south of Gravenhurst. Restaurant, motel units and some cabins in behind. Used to be accessible by sled off the pipeline running south from Gull Lake. Don't know if it will be this year.

It wasn't the Gateway for a very long time. It operated under another name for quite a number of years. Actually, it has operated under a few names over the years.

Sorry, revrnd, can't answer your question. If I find out, I'll post back here.

It's on the east side of 11 just south of Gravenhurst. Restaurant, motel units and some cabins in behind. Used to be accessible by sled off the pipeline running south from Gull Lake. Don't know if it will be this year.

It wasn't the Gateway for a very long time. It operated under another name for quite a number of years. Actually, it has operated under a few names over the years.

There are always Hydro trucks in there all summer. And Im pretty sure it is open to the public again!

Is it the place that had a Bavarian look to it?

Stayed there once after buddy's sled broke down. Early 90's, so won't 'comment'. Heck of a time getting there, as I recall. Barrier on Hwy 11 gave us a headache. Somehow made our way to the Muskoka Store, warmed up (it was -20), then went further to the 'Bavarian' hotel.

If anyone is interested, you could call the Muskoka Store, and they should be able to provide info. - it's basically a few driveways north of them.

Stayed there once after buddy's sled broke down. Early 90's, so won't 'comment'. Heck of a time getting there, as I recall. Barrier on Hwy 11 gave us a headache. Somehow made our way to the Muskoka Store, warmed up (it was -20), then went further to the 'Bavarian' hotel.

If anyone is interested, you could call the Muskoka Store, and they should be able to provide info. - it's basically a few driveways north of them.

A few driveways north of the Paddle Shack.

In fact, it may well have been named the Bavarian at one time.

It's the last business before the MTO yard as you approach the Gravenhurst turnoff.

It was the burger place called 'Skokies' next door that burnt.

I was thinking of the gas station (Shell I think) further south on east side, store etc, that burnt a few years ago near the other restaurant that exploded (Suomi?). Didn't know that Skokies burnt, assumed it was just torn down.

Seems peculiar that amount of fires, explosions of businesses in that area in the last few years.

Seems peculiar that amount of fires, explosions of businesses in that area in the last few years.

A high incidence of lightning thru that area?

Some of those places along there looked like they were struggling even before the global financial meltdown/US passport issue/9-11/CDN-US dollar @ par/SARS/BSE (mad cow disease), etc.

Is Denne's still operating since they stopped selling 'doos?

A high incidence of lightning thru that area?

Some of those places along there looked like they were struggling even before the global financial meltdown/US passport issue/9-11/CDN-US dollar @ par/SARS/BSE (mad cow disease), etc.

Is Denne's still operating since they stopped selling 'doos?

Yup. Still in business and business is brisk for them. The only sales and service marina right on the lake (in addition to their highway location). They have some competition for boat slips rentals and some service competition from others off the lake but otherwise they have a strong corner on the on-water market there.

Archived