Trail Conditions (weekend grooming?)

Canuck

When planning a longer trip - one that includes weekend travel - do you try to avoid weekends on the theory that heavy traffic 'baffs' the trails, or do you work under the assumption that groomers are out more frequently on weekends. In speaking to groomer operators, it's a trade-off... they realize that most folks are out weekends, but they are reluctant to groom Sat. night due to increased trail traffic and the need for groomed snow to settle.

We used to do longer trips out of North Bay (as far as Cochrane), but found that when we returned on Sunday, it was hard riding.

Most of the guys I sled with need to be back to work on Monday. I think the trick is to avoid most trails Sunday, especially if it's your 'last day'. Heck, I'd end a trip on Saturday, for that reason alone. We've noticed a lot of sledders heading south on Hwy 400 on Saturday night, and I'm starting to see the rationale.

If you plan around grooming you`d miss all the fun !

Most clubs groom Nightly , or at least try too . Our club Grooms every night alternating to the north and south , sometimes you wouldn`t know it with the high volume of traffic , but for the most part last year we had mostly 9-10 riding when the snow was favourable !

Midweek riding is the only way to really go in Central Ontario that or Head north or east for table top weekends .

As a shift worker, we usually avoid weekends just for less traffic. We leave home on sunday when all the kids hockey is done and generally come back on friday. Works for us, less traffic = smoother trails etc. So I agree that things are usually beat by sunday, but mid week can be great :woot: , really depends on the clubs your riding in.

Cheers, Todd

Our EA's have been leaving on a Friday morning so by Sunday afternoon/evening we are already in the far north where the trails don't seem to get nearly as beaten up as, say, D trail through Bracebridge on a Sunday afternoon. :shock:

We're usually ending the trip on a Thursday night so Friday is trailering, shopping, shovelling out the cabin and getting ready for a weekend of sledding in D7 :D (I love the trails around here!)

We have done some longer trips. Like many have said here, it depends on where you're riding. In Northern Ontario you can usually count on the trails being in very good condition. "C" and "A" around Cochrane and Hearst have always been great. In some parts the trails don't get groomed too often so the weather has a longer period to affect conditions. As I recall from last year, "D" was rough the further west we rode and even officially open from Terrace Bay to Nipigon. My advice is to watch the posts here and ask about certain areas before you go. You can also call the local clubs, they have always returned my call and given me honest information. If you're going to be riding in some of the remote areas of Northern Ontario (even if you're not) you should by your trail permit from one of those clubs. They can really use the sales.

Good Luck,

I've only done a few longer trips but on each we always go to the starting point on Sunday or Monday and finish the trip on Thursday or Friday, never ride on the weekends. Traffic both on the road and trail, trail conditions on weekends effect that decision. Though often Mondays can be poor conditions until clubs get out to clean up from the weekend.

Archived