New Hamburg

mikerx

Site has been updated now. Looks like everything around Kitchener is limited.

Here's a perfect example of a timely report:

The GTSA sent a report in around 9:20 am today and it was posted within 10 minutes on the OFSC and D5 site.

The process does work........

Dave; You and Suzanne are doing a great job.

The only problem is that there are a ton of people that do not know when trails are opened or closed, simply because they do not know where to look or do not have computer access. I was doing a trail audit before Christmas, wearing a Trail Patrol vest, getting ready to make the final call on opening the New Dundee trails. A elderly gentleman and his wife pulled up on their sleds and asked me a question about a re-route on the trail. I explained to him why the trail was in a different location and then told him the trails were still 'Closed'. He looked at me like I had 4 heads and said 'You've got to be kidding' and I understand what he meant. Those trails were groomed and in as good shape as we have had in 5 years, certainly a 1000% better than the mess I rode on today!

My point is that there are holes in every system, no matter how hard we all try to make it work. If someone had charged that old couple with trespassing, I would have been disgusted with our system.

BTW; The New Dundee trails DO NOT have enough snow on them to be open IMO. But that is just my opinion and if you want to ride very marginal trails, be my guest, that is why they are listed 'LIMITED'. I wouldn't recommend that anyone trailer any distance to ride them, in fact if I wasn't just getting over the flu, I would be up in Bracebridge with the rest of the gang riding some decent snow! ;)

This takes a lot of time and effort on the Clubs behalf

I can only imagine, but I have to ask: I would think that in this day in age virtually all the groomer operators will carry a cell phone while out on the trail. Why aren't the groomer operators just updating the website live from the cab of the groomer? There might be some problems making that happen the far north, but that shouldn't hold back the rest of the trail system. Trail reports are up-to-the-minute and it eliminates the burden on two (or more?) other people freeing them up to do other things within the organization, or just to get out and enjoy the trails themselves. Seems like it would be a win-win for everyone to me.

That said, I have to commend you and everyone else involved for the quality and promptness of the trail reports the last couple of seasons. They've come a long way and I'm sure that was no easy task. It's good to hear that the website is now considered authoritative. That, in my opinion, was an important step towards keeping people off the closed trails.

The OFSC web site is the only guide to the trails being open or closed ! This is what the OPP will go by when laying charges and what your liability insurance may cover.

INdySKS,

I appreciate that you provide good information on the trails from the Districts point of view, but in response to this comment, do we expect every sledder to check the internet before riding the trails? Many riders, especially in cottage country, do not have access to the internet during their stay.

It was my understanding that the signs are the only official way to open or close a trail. I know if I read that the trail was open and came upon a "TRAIL CLOSED" sign, I would not continue. On the other hand, if I was out in an area and the trail closed signs have been removed, I would ride the trails because I believe they are open.

If there is another expectation these days for sledders, it should be clarified on the permit application. (not that I looked for on there)

From the OFSC trail status site:

Disclaimer

The Trail Status posted here is for general information only and does not necessarily reflect the Trail Status at the time of your ride or the actual local trail conditions you may encounter. The Trail Status is gathered from club volunteers and is valid only at the time of their observation. Their observations may not meet your expectations and the Trail Status may vary from the time of posting. The Trail Status may vary with changing conditions such as temperature, snow quality, type of terrain and usage. Please exercise caution at all times and be prepared for the unexpected. Remember that the snowmobile trail is providing you with an off road experience that has inherent risks, because it occurs in an unpredictable and uncontrollable natural setting, which demands constant rider preparedness, vigilance, caution, unimpaired reaction and smart choice. Trail signs are posted only for your convenience and there is no guarantee that they will be there at any given time due to wind, rain, storms or vandalism.

I hope this explains some stuff!! :)

From the OFSC trail status site:

Disclaimer

The Trail Status posted here is for general information only and does not necessarily reflect the Trail Status at the time of your ride or the actual local trail conditions you may encounter. The Trail Status is gathered from club volunteers and is valid only at the time of their observation. Their observations may not meet your expectations and the Trail Status may vary from the time of posting. The Trail Status may vary with changing conditions such as temperature, snow quality, type of terrain and usage. Please exercise caution at all times and be prepared for the unexpected. Remember that the snowmobile trail is providing you with an off road experience that has inherent risks, because it occurs in an unpredictable and uncontrollable natural setting, which demands constant rider preparedness, vigilance, caution, unimpaired reaction and smart choice. Trail signs are posted only for your convenience and there is no guarantee that they will be there at any given time due to wind, rain, storms or vandalism.

I hope this explains some stuff!! :)

Yes, it confirms that trail closed signs supersede the OFSC website. 8-)

Yes, it confirms that trail closed signs supersede the OFSC website. 8-)

Given that, I should be hitting the trails right now. I know there are no "Trail Closed" signs up on the trails I'd be riding. :D

Common sense may prevail :roll:

Does anyone know if they will be grooming today? What are the chances of being able to go out tonite? :wtf:

I would say 'NO' but if we get the 15 to30 cm tonight that the weatherman says we are getting, they will be out tomorrow. There is a lot of water standing in the fields, so a couple of days of cold will stiffen everything up a bit.

Last week at this time they were calling for +10 today? It's snowing so hard here right now I can't see across the street from my office window! :woot:

Well we got close to a foot of real good base making snow yesterday. :right_on: The groomers are out and we should be open for business, hopefully later today. :rockon: There ws a few tracks on our trails this morning and it is all looking good with mostly below freezing temps for the next 2 weeks! :woot:

Hey Gary.. emmerich and I are going out this afternoon for a ride.. I'll be riding a shine new Phazer :)

Did you get all the "beaver poop" (I stole that one from STG :ssh: ) off that sled?

Beaver poop??? Nobody told me anything about beaver poop...

My "mom" luvved the pink sweater :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

That's your story and you're sticking to it! :coffeenose:

Pink Sweater..I must have missed that one. :confused::shock:

Did it come with the Phaser???? :P

Its Sunday morning and the sun is shining!! Anyone know the status of the New Hamburg trails? Would be a great day for a ride other than the fierce wind.

Go Ride: The trails are open with a decent base! They were getting a little beat up by the end of the day yesterday, but the cold weather will have firmed everything up. Go enjoy and watch out for drifts!

Archived