Leaving to Go Out Grooming 6:50 pm

When did you guys get the SPOT units? Do you like them? Any issues?

We got it mid January.

it's a piece of mine.

even if the radio brake down or no power in the groomer the operator can contact us anytime anywhere, great unit. you can send e-mail to say everything is good, or use the help button if you need something, or the 911 if you're in danger.

I can tell you it helps to sleep at night when the guy are out there grooming knowing they have a way to contact us.

All groomer in district 13 are now equip with spot unit.

if you are an out door person you should buy one

$130.00 CND for the unit and $150.00 US per year for the service.

That is a great idea. This would have saved that groomer operators life that froze down south after dumping the groomer in the water. I am going to try my best in to talking my wife into another trip this year. Wish me luck.

I don't believe that it existed then .

When did you guys get the SPOT units? Do you like them? Any issues?

We got it mid January.

it's a piece of mine.

even if the radio brake down or no power in the groomer the operator can contact us anytime anywhere, great unit. you can send e-mail to say everything is good, or use the help button if you need something, or the 911 if you're in danger.

I can tell you it helps to sleep at night when the guy are out there grooming knowing they have a way to contact us.

All groomer in district 13 are now equip with spot unit.

if you are an out door person you should buy one

$130.00 CND for the unit and $150.00 US per year for the service.

That is a great idea. This would have saved that groomer operators life that froze down south after dumping the groomer in the water. I am going to try my best in to talking my wife into another trip this year. Wish me luck.

I don't believe that it existed then .

Yea, they did Bill. Sadly, not enough people knew about them.

I talked to one of the owners of the company at the Go Snowmobiling Sled show the fall before the Parry Sound incident. They had a booth there. In fact, that was one of the things I mentioned to him that these units should be in all groomers that don't have cell phone coverage within their entire grooming area. I brought several pamphlets to our next District meeting and encouraged all clubs that don't have full cell phone coverage to buy them for their groomers. Most people took the wait and see attitude to see how well they would work and if there would be any bugs that needed to be worked out.

Hind sight is usually 20/20. Had anyone known that that incident would happen, anyone would have jumped at the chance to provide him with the unit. There are no guarantees he'd still be alive but it may have given him a chance to be rescued before it was too late. Even today, knowing what we know now, I'll bet there's too many clubs that don't have anything similar in their groomers. Our club is fortunate that we have full cell phone coverage across our entire trail system. Most don't.

We love our two units. They work great.

Jeff

On Our trails we got about 5% cell,and then regular FM CB radio is about 85 to 90%, where so far even the CBC radio dont come in... :o You know U are in the middle of nothing when U cant get the CBC on your CD/Radio Player in the groomer.

When I use to groom from Dubreuilville to Dalton on the F, I had about a 8 hours on the trails section with no CB radio... Dead ZONE, there was one Hill that I had found that if I parked at tha right Spot I would be able to call in to Dubreuilville, that was the Only Spot I found.....I wont lie, it sometimes scared the crap out of me, 2:00 or 3:00 am -30's and out there.... What IF.....

One time I was out there, I had a Extra fuel tank on the drag because we running with a small JD tractor that had a tank that need to be filled up every 4 to 5 hours.....and on a 20 hours ride I need to bring some, well after a few fill ups, fighting with the frozen transfer pump a few time, I noticed a leak in my tank :o i did some calculation..... I had lost too much fuel... I was not going to make it back.... I was passed the radio spot, and the wooded trail was too tight for me to turn around.....well I saved fuel and creative thinking of how to plan it I made it up to a spot where the road finaly came close and slept in the groomer... at lower revs i was able to conserve fuel and the Next day I flaged a car down.....(there not much in that area, was lucky somebody passed...) that was around 10:00 am the next day, I sent the car down and they got Jules to bring me Fuel.

aw the stories of the grooming life.....

On Our trails we got about 5% cell,and then regular FM CB radio is about 85 to 90%, where so far even the CBC radio dont come in... :o You know U are in the middle of nothing when U can get the CBC on your CD/Radio Player in the groomer.

When I use to groom from Dubreuilville to Dalton on the F I had about a 8 hours on the trails section with no CB radio... Dead ZONE, there was one Hill that I found that if I parked at tha right Spot I wou;d be able to call in to Dubreuilville, that was the Only Spot I found.....I wont lie, it sometimes scared the crap out of me, 2:00 or 3:00 am -30's and out there.... What IF.....

One time I was out there, I had a Extra fuel tank on the drag because we we running with a small JD tractor that had a tank that need to be filled up every 4 to 5 hours.....and on a 20 hours ride I need to bring some, well aftyer a few fill ups, fighting with the frozen transfer pump a few time, I noticed a leak in my tank :o i did some calculation..... I had lost too much fuel... I was not going to make it back.... I was passed the radio spot, and the wooded trail was too tight for me to turn around.....well I saved fuel and creative thinking of how to plan it I made it up to a spot where the road finaly came close and slept in the groomer... at lower revs i was able to conserve fuel and the Next day I flage a car down.....(there nothing in that area, was lucky somebody passed... that was around 10:00 am the next day, I sent the car down and they got Jules to bring me Fuel.

aw the stories of the grooming life.....

Wow ! :shock: What a story :!:

that's scary,

Cool video, we need to start a thread to tell your stories :wavey:

Archived