Wawa trails???

goldguy

Does anyone know how the trails are holding up in and around Wawa? Was planning last trip this weekend.

Thanks!!!

I am leaving from Toronto tomorrow to meet my buddies from the Sault . Just wondering if it is worth the ride???We want to go from Searchmont to Wawa on Saturday morning. Were the trails groomed recently, any bare spots?

Thanks

JPS

I am leaving from Toronto tomorrow to meet my buddies from the Sault . Just wondering if it is worth the ride???We want to go from Searchmont to Wawa on Saturday morning. Were the trails groomed recently, any bare spots?

Thanks

JPS

Trail from Searchmont to Halfway was groomed up on Sat and back down on Sunday.

North to Wawa is rougher as I hear. Haven't heard of eny further intentions to groom down from Wawa.

If your riding up from the Soo you may have bare rd to ride in Searchmont? But otherwise should be no plowed roads at least to the outskirts of Wawa. (Prolly just a little by the dam crossing - but that is normall.)

Spoke to Reggie at Searchmont that a group came back from Wawa tonight and claimed there was a bad 30 mile stretch between 1/2 way and Wawa due to logging. South end was good.

The guys were from London On, so I discount their testimony a bit ( a bad trail for a 'native' is a good trail to us southerners ).

Spoke to Reggie at Searchmont that a group came back from Wawa tonight and claimed there was a bad 30 mile stretch between 1/2 way and Wawa due to logging. South end was good.

The guys were from London On, so I discount their testimony a bit ( a bad trail for a 'native' is a good trail to us southerners ).

Not sure what logging they're talking about, we share a km or 2 with some logging on our D trail just south of Wawa.

We are considering grooming to the Tic rd (the part that will get bumpy first) if we can get a volunteer to go.

See - there you go..... I was right. Nothing wrong with the trail but the guys that live in Quebec and Ontario get all bent out of shape over one little bad spot :argue:

Us guys from below the bridge are just happy if the percentage of dirt is less than the snow.

The Witman dam road is bare pavement up to the dump...So you might have to unload there...If you are riding from the Soo the trails are still in good shape, the club closed the Goulais River crossing ( for safety reasons ) but you can still cross it....Other than that trails are still pretty good but going fast with this wind and sun..........Only been up the Witman Dam road 50 km it was in good shape .........

Our president will be taking the groomer south tonight. We decided to groom when it's really cold to help break the trail up a bit for better cooling for the sleds.

See - there you go..... I was right. Nothing wrong with the trail but the guys that live in Quebec and Ontario get all bent out of shape over one little bad spot :argue:

Us guys from below the bridge are just happy if the percentage of dirt is less than the snow.

bahhaahaha :rotflmao::rotflmao: Thats a Good one!!!! and the sad part it's So true....

bahhaahaha :rotflmao::rotflmao: Thats a Good one!!!! and the sad part it's So true....

If you guys saw some of the crap we run our sleds through in Wisconsin, you wouldn't believe it. As long as a sled doesn't overheat, a little dirt really isn't that harmful to them. They last pretty long even when running through the rocks, dirt, and mud. The comment about the dirt snow percentage is priceless. I wish I could come back up to Wawa and Dub again this year, the riding is so much fun up there. The traffic was bad though, we past 3 sleds on Sunday and 2 on Monday.

We tried grooming south toward halfway haven and the pres decided to turn around as the trail only had some small bumps on the very inside of some corners and the drag couldn't really cut into the trial as it's set up so hard he wasn't accomplishing anything.

An inch of fresh snow on top of the trails now and -1. Our club is having a family ride event tomorrow, should be awesome riding, -12 tonight and -3 tomorrow.

We tried grooming south toward halfway haven and the pres decided to turn around as the trail only had some small bumps on the very inside of some corners and the drag couldn't really cut into the trial as it's set up so hard he wasn't accomplishing anything.

An inch of fresh snow on top of the trails now and -1. Our club is having a family ride event tomorrow, should be awesome riding, -12 tonight and -3 tomorrow.

Yeah Gord... I Know the Felling.... It's the Worst time of year to groom... I Just hate it, the base is so hard and trying to get to thos Bumps in the center in the Curves is dam hard, thats When you need to groom alot with the Front plow and drive in the corner, then back up, re groom it, back up again till you got it donw but..... it makes for a Long night. Or Since there not Much trafict you Hit those are during the day when it softer and when you come going home it's later in evening and the trail starts to set up on your last pass heading home.... at this time of year if there is no new snow there is no need to groom side to side,,, just need to pass in the Center and follow the sled grooves.

lol That's Grooming tip Of the Week!!!! Stay tuned next week when give you tips on how to get a groomer out of a Swamp 85 km in the Bush. lol

You should think about writing a grooming book Luc. You have the stories and experience to do it. I'd add a chapter for you if you wanted...

I noticed the groomer didn't seem to make much diff last week - the trails were hard as ... ice. There was plenty for lube for most sleds - but the substrate was rock hard and the groomer didn't seem to really doo much. Kinda pointless. However - things weren't that bad to begin with either...

I would think that this time of yr a feller could (should?) replace the front blade with a scarfier. (Propper name?) Like on the back of a dozer or front of a grader? This could help to bust up the hard corners. Would only unse on the corners really.

????

Our club had our family ride/poker run sunday, trails were great, I was suprised how much snow is still on the lakes.

it's a great time of year to ride. Not much traffic, I was on the D trail to dubreuilvile from 1pm to about 430pm and no sleds went by to or from dubruilville.

a few pics

Wawa lk taken while riding sorry bout the finger lol.

Hawk lake is about the same.

P3220003.jpg

the D trail between Wawa and Hawk Junction.

P3220004.jpg

Starting to lose the snow on the roads in Hawk Junction.

P3220005.jpg

OUr little social event where we meet the Dubruilville trails. Roasted hot dogs and marshmallows.

P3220007.jpg

Thanks for the report Gord. To bad my sled was broke down.

Hey Gord we are looking to fix that warm up shack this summer, do you think your club will be interested in helping?

Ya sure Reg just let me know the plan in advance. Not sure if it gets used much but it worked out good for us.

Hey now!

The last few times I went through there was on ATV's and there was no shack there - and Shirley no privy! :o Now it needs repairs already? :wtf:

Just a big "binveiw Dubre" or ... something like that.... I can post a pic - but I think you all know the sign.... :lol:

ox that shack has been there for years, it is on the D trail between hawk and dub, just south of the mining company buildings. you might be thinkin of another area. LOL! ski

Yeah it's been there long enough that I don't remember it not being there.

Maybe We should make an overnight party out of the upgrade, both clubs, a bon fire, tents (campers for the high rollers lol), everyone welcome.

Archived