Parrysound.com

SteveH

It did , but the site says its being rebuilt and it appears it's a budget isue.

Here's one from silver lake cottage resort.

http://www.silverlakecottages.com/webcam.php

refreshes every 5 mins.

Silver Lakes is about 15 minutes south of town, right along the highway

A web cam is a few hundred dollars. Even an outdoor one is that. They are idiots for taking too long. It's been down for 6 months. Typical small town Parry Sound BS. They could just as easily have bought one at Walmart for $25 and put it in the window.

A web cam is a few hundred dollars. Even an outdoor one is that. They are idiots for taking too long. It's been down for 6 months. Typical small town Parry Sound BS. They could just as easily have bought one at Walmart for $25 and put it in the window.

Not sure this is called for. Costs plenty for 24/7 bandwidth in addition to PC and camera. It's a small newspaper. Many webcams have closed once the initial excitement ended. Even the A Channel TV in Barrie's cameras are not very reliable.

So how does that cam thing work anyway?

I'd love to put one at the cottage so that I can see the conditions, monitor the place etc.

Anyone know what is involved?

I've heard that camera prices vary. I was told that a good one would be $5000

Slomo.

You said "was that called for". I think so. Here is why.

The newspaper has internet access...so it would cost nothing more to transmit the data. Zero $. Nothing. A web camera can be one of several kinds. An inexpensive one (which would do the trick) would simply update a new page every ten seconds in your browser. This would transmit about 150K of data per minute at 640x480 resolution...which would be crystal clear...and free for the newspaper. Camera cost is $50...software is free with camera...and tape to tape it to a shelf pointed at window $ 0.15

Now the camera they have (which does not work) was not even purchased by the newspaper. How is that! I know that because I called years back and spoke to the editor even before they had that camera....to tell them it would be ideal for them to get a camera...and I offered to buy it for them and hook it up (since I know they have high speed)...(they said “no thank youâ€)….and then I find out a few weeks later after telling my friend in McKellar about how the town needs a camera ...and he says....HE NOT ONLY OFFERED THE SAME THING... for the newspaper...but he just bought one for them. His gift. He said it was a $2,000++ camera outside in a box (which is how I've set them up in other places I've worked)...pointed at the street. The camera also has software which allows the web site visitor to aim the lens and zoom in. Great camera. However, just because it is not working right now (and is out of warranty no doubt) does not mean that the stupid newspaper management should not solve the problem with a $50 camera.

Here is what a real person who knows how to manage a problem would do it. (And I pride myself as a problem solver and have backed it up with considerable success)

Friday- (today) go to Walmart....buy $ 50 camera....tape to desk...point at window. Done.

Next week...next month....solve the issue with the other outdoor camera. You can buy heated enclosed camera boxes for outside for $ 300...and a new camera that does what the old one does for $ 500. Solved.

Newspaper too cheap or can’t afford to buy a new outdoor camera? Well…geez….is the paper management THAT stupid…..then be smart and offer businesses free web ads on the webcam webpage for a year if they pay for it. Duh!!!!

About buying a camera for your cottage….this is not as easy.

You will also need a web dial up account (Zueter or someone else)...and a PC to hook to the camera. That's because the standalone cameras that do not require a PC have a Linux Server built into them (pretty cool) ...but they need constant connection to the internet as they are IP based...and therefore cannot be directly hooked to a modem for dial up. I know as I've hunted for a dial up standalone camera...and it does not exist. I've even talked to product development at Linksys...so I've done my homework. If you have high speed....get a stand-alone camera with the server built into it...and you're done. ($300 tops).

So…I am not a camera buff at all…but when I was consulting with a trucking company…I had issues with the Homeland Security (yes those guys in the USA)…and met with them a few times to learn their concerns….and decided to satisfy their concerns by implementing cameras around our yard and other locations in Ontario we owned…and gave them the IP addresses of the cameras so they could do their work. So…I know enough.

Thanks for the info.

We have wireless cable at the cottage. I have an older computer that is here all the time but I bring my laptop when I come up.

Would I be able to do the camera on its own with my wireless cable connection? I leave it on when I leave.

Or should I use the older computer(don't know what its capabilities are) or get a permanent computer to leave here?

Is there someone I call call who can set this up?

Sorry about all the ? but it sounds like this may be a good option for us.

Thanks!

You can leave it on either computer...but you'll need to understand that sometimes power goes out...and therefore, the webcam will only work when the webcam program is started. So...you need to set up your PC so it automatically restarts, goes into the program...and you do this by setting it up to autostart. Instructions may be provided. Get a logitec webcam...as they have good software. Also, you will need to set your camera up so that it has a STATIC IP address, meaning you can get to the camera from any browser anywhere. There are some web sites that will do this for you. The reason is that your cable connection IP address is probably not static, so it can change if the power is reset on the cable modem. Ask your provider...and maybe they can give you a static IP address. If not, just ask them about what they would suggest. These other web sites that offer a single point of entry to view your camera are either free, or very cheap.

Again...I do not know these off by heart....but they are out there. I know earthcam at

Great news! I always wanted to WATCH someone break in! Then I will know how to do it next time I forget my keys! Who says technology doesn't improve the quality of life!

All kidding aside, I think that it would work quite well here. I got lost halfway through the tech stuff but I think I get the jist.

So... when are you coming over to set this bad boy up?

Great report. Lots of info. Thanks.

Thanks for the info.

We have wireless cable at the cottage. I have an older computer that is here all the time but I bring my laptop when I come up.

Would I be able to do the camera on its own with my wireless cable connection? I leave it on when I leave.

Or should I use the older computer(don't know what its capabilities are) or get a permanent computer to leave here?

Is there someone I call call who can set this up?

Sorry about all the ? but it sounds like this may be a good option for us.

Thanks!

What is wireless cable?

Good info indeed and might start some positive action towards a Parry Sound snow condition web cam somewhere.

But in terms of the ParrySound.com web cam...as per the original concern expressed in this thread - and the broader implications for sledders riding in the smaller communities.

IMO it is economics, not the tech, that is the key factor.

Parry Sound has a population of 6,500 people - not a huge market area. With the shift in shopping patterns from the north of the town to the south - large Canadian Tire, Walmart,

Work Wearhouse, large Shoppers Drugs, many of the small businesses on which the newspaper depended on for advertising dollars have gone out of business or reduced ad budgets. The large 'box' stores get their flyers printed elsewhere. Management of a local newspaper would have no choice but to emphasize core competancies and reduce expenses in areas (such as the web cam) which don't contribute to profit. So even if the technology is inexpensive it is still an expense.

Hardly a year goes by on the forum when we don't hear about restaurants, motel, gas stations closing in the smaller communities as most of the economic dollars go to larger centers.

Still, the report here on web cams might put ideas into someone's head to get their own web cam going, if they can afford it. Any chance of costing out the equipment needed to run such a thing?

Off to shovel out the sled now...covered in about 2 feet of snow :D

Wireless cable = having a cable connection, and hooking it to a simple wireless router...like the $ 50 ones at Bestbuy. It transmits the wireless cable single into simple TCP/IP signals via Wifi.

Note: Buy Linksys...not becuase it is any better than other stuff that is $ 10 cheaper....but they actually asnwer their support telephone lines.

Anyhow...I just wish some company made a stand-alone camera that would send signials via a dial up connection without the ned for a PC. It doesn't exist.

Good info indeed and might start some positive action towards a Parry Sound snow condition web cam somewhere.

But in terms of the ParrySound.com web cam...as per the original concern expressed in this thread - and the broader implications for sledders riding in the smaller communities.

IMO it is economics, not the tech, that is the key factor.

Parry Sound has a population of 6,500 people - not a huge market area. With the shift in shopping patterns from the north of the town to the south - large Canadian Tire, Walmart,

Work Wearhouse, large Shoppers Drugs, many of the small businesses on which the newspaper depended on for advertising dollars have gone out of business or reduced ad budgets. The large 'box' stores get their flyers printed elsewhere. Management of a local newspaper would have no choice but to emphasize core competancies and reduce expenses in areas (such as the web cam) which don't contribute to profit. So even if the technology is inexpensive it is still an expense.

Hardly a year goes by on the forum when we don't hear about restaurants, motel, gas stations closing in the smaller communities as most of the economic dollars go to larger centers.

Still, the report here on web cams might put ideas into someone's head to get their own web cam going, if they can afford it. Any chance of costing out the equipment needed to run such a thing?

Off to shovel out the sled now...covered in about 2 feet of snow :D

Slomo,

The reason the shopping is shifting away from Downtown to the South does have a great deal to do with the new big box stores (and Home Depot was JUST APPROVED last week too), BUT, the reason why I and many others do NOT go downtown anymore is becuase the Council and the downtown businesses are too greedy and therefore will not get my money. They charge for parking for us cottagers (who pay most of the taxes in the area)...and then the town reduces or eliminates parking fees once summer is over!!!!!!! They are vigilant about collecting parking fines in the summer months…then lay off after the fact. Seriously. Does the town make money from parking meters? No way. The cost of the meters and the cost of man-power and the cost to the businesses from lost sales makes meters a joke.

Many other towns in Northern Ontario have wonderful Downtowns with businesses who LOVE cottagers and not just cottagers money.

Downtown Parry Sound is falling apart from Greed. A few businesses in town are outstanding and I love them. Mitch’s for one.

However, all businesses in Downtown should be ashamed of their councilors. The town cut off free Water at the fire hall (for a stupid reason)...so bye, bye. It could easily have been moved elsewhere and there were offers from some places to locate a water bit there…but nooooo! If the town is THAT risk averse, then the councilors should get rid of all the Stop lights in town, JUST IN CASE one light burns out.

It did , but the site says its being rebuilt and it appears it's a budget isue.

Here's one from silver lake cottage resort.

Well, I must say that I know the owners of the Silver Lake Resort and the webcam is pointed at the lake for potential customers to see how beautiful the view is from the cabins. It is not meant for snowmobilers :roll:

Where do any of us get the nerve to call these people idiots for not fixing a webcam that they paid privately for? Do you think if it is broken they will fix it in the middle of winter? Why, its primarily a summer resort.

It is negative attitudes like this that gives snowmobilers a bad name :curse:

Now, get off your :soapbox: and play nice in the snow :|

The town cut off free Water at the fire hall (for a stupid reason)...so bye, bye. It could easily have been moved elsewhere and there were offers from some places to locate a water bit there…but nooooo!

In the year when this occured, I wrote a letter to mayor and council of McDougall Township requesting that a water tap be set up for township ratepayers who didn't benefit from the new water system in Nobel. Received a positive response letter 3 weeks later and the tap was set up that spring. It is located at the transfer station on Municipal Rd.

In terms of the snow cam, why not try messaging the Parry Sound Snowmobiling District to see if they are interested in setting one up?

-You drive a long distance to get to PS, and would like to keep up to date on snow fall.

-You are a stakeholder as you have property in the area and buy your trail pass from a PSSD club.

-You know what equipment is needed, how much it will cost, and can help with set up.

-You can point out the benefits of the snow cam economically to the association, as sponsors of the District 10 trail map can also have advertisements on the snow cam web page.

-The PSSD gets 'world' exposure.

They might just find money in their budget to manage it.

Where do any of us get the nerve to call these people idiots for not fixing a webcam that they paid privately for? :|

Domino...you didn't read the entire thread. No one is calling them idiots at all. They're great. I personally am calling the newspaper mamagement idiots since they do not want to spend $ 50 to fix their web camera...which someone else paid $3000 to give them. That is why it is not working. OK

Archived