Why Are Chapleau Trails Limited?

Pappy

I'll be doing a six day tour first week of March and the fourth day we will be riding from Wawa to Chapleau. All the areas are reporting open trails and good riding except Chapleau. Why?? They have thier trails listed as limited. Are they having issues with lack of snow or are there other problems? Any info would be appreciated, thank you.

jds1200 I am in Chapleau right now ,we came up the F trail from Elliot lake ,the trails are limited here because they are not grooming :wtf: they have the snow on the trails. we are headed to Timmins timmins today will report on that, we are not going to Dubrileville from here so I will not be able to give you a trail report'

zrtkat

jds1200 I am in Chapleau right now ,we came up the F trail from Elliot lake ,the trails are limited here because they are not grooming :wtf: they have the snow on the trails. we are headed to Timmins timmins today will report on that, we are not going to Dubrileville from here so I will not be able to give you a trail report'

zrtkat

Thanks for the report. That would be great if you could give me a heads up on the trail from Chapleau to Timmins (C101F). I wonder why they are not grooming? I didn't think it would be a snow problem since everybody around them has plenty of snow.

Just returned from my week in the area. Seems that there is an agenda in the Chapleau system, not sure what it is but the trails are most likely limited because there are vast stretches from Missinnabe to Chapleau that have not been brushed or limbed and there is virtually no OFSC signage on the trails and you need to keep watch ALL THE TIME for face slappers and head bangers(overhanging trees saplings). We rode the trail from Hearst to Chapleau on Friday Feb 20th and Chapleau to Timmins/Cochrane Saturday 21st, the only bad trails were in the Chapleau system from Missinabe all the way to where Folyet picks up the C101F. We passed the Folyet groomer on his return 40kms out of the village Saturday morning. The only part of the Chaplau trails that were not butt numbing was in the Preserve on the fire access road (still no evidence of recent grooming). Odd that the town of Chapleau cannot keep the trails groomed but the hamlet of Folyet can groom and maintain their portion of the trail Hmmmm! There is plenty of snow and therefore no excuse that the trails are in such poor condition coming to the end of February. We will not travel through this area again!

They seem to be working hard at driving away snowmobilers. Strange they have time to organize community drag races but not groom the trails.

Our town wanted us to put on a family ride for the winter carnival last weekend but we had to decline as our mandate is to groom trails first.

We will not travel through this area again!

Someone else posted the same sentiments just recently as well. I know it'll be a while before we pass thru there again. 3 Years ago the trail was in fair condition (not freshly groomed, but not mogulled either) north of town then we passed a broken down groomer. From there to Aubrey Falls the F trail was rough.

D'ville's & Elliot Lake's trails were in great shape.

They seem to be working hard at driving away snowmobilers. Strange they have time to organize community drag races but not groom the trails.

Our town wanted us to put on a family ride for the winter carnival last weekend but we had to decline as our mandate is to groom trails first.

Yep. I'm with you on that One Gord.

well this is all very disappointing news. Our group is going to be in the area the week of march 9th, our plan was to ride out of the soo , to halfway, then the goat path to Chapleau. From there we want to ride the "F" trail since the existence of it seems very bleak at this time. And that is the ONLY reason we would venture to Chapleau at this time.........I want to say never, but that may be premature, I will wait to see how the club/town and ofsc handles the matter.

We ran Elliot Lake to Chapleau last weeek.

Met many disappointed sledders on trail

They suggested I add a day to our trip, and go from Elliot Lake to Timmins next time, then west to Hornpayne, D'ville etc. I haven't looked at a map yet, to see what that adds to a trip, but something I'd consider for next year.

We ran Elliot Lake to Chapleau last weeek.

Met many disappointed sledders on trail

They suggested I add a day to our trip, and go from Elliot Lake to Timmins next time,

That still takes you thru the Chapleau club though. Unless you mean head east to the STP then north to Timmins & Hearst.

Is Deckers still doing the tours? When we stayed in Chapleau in '06 they had 40 sleds in a group staying @ the ATM. If the F trail is closed north of town, I can't see them passing thru Chapleau on their way back to Hearst (Tracks & Trails Ride). They'd probably ride to Wawa, then south on TOP D.

head east to the STP

Sorry - what's STP?

Our maps are at cottage, and I was passing on the 'by-pass Chapleau' comments from a group we met on the trail who's sleds were running hot on the 'groomed once' trail.

Riding north-east to Timmins then West is an option we'd look into next year, if Chapleau is not serious about maintaining TOP F.

Elliot Lake is a wonderful starting point for us.

head east to the STP

Sorry - what's STP?

Sudbury Trail Plan, District 12.

We just did the Algoma loop and I didn't find it that bad. The only truely rough portion was the last 5-7kms before Missinabi because the groomer couldn't get across the swamp.

The trail from Miss. to Chap. did need another grooming but it was still better then most days on the Seguin. The overheating was a by product of the conditions not the trails. We experienced a heat light or two but there's lots of room to get off the trail and into the snow to cool off (without slowing down even lol). From all of the complaining we heard at ATM about the trail conditions we were pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was...now...compared to the conditions we had last year...well...lets just say it would be tough to beat last years conditions.

We talked at length about this with the lady at Flame Lake Lodge and it seems that the Chap club is in real financial trouble and simply doesn't have the resources to groom that section of trail....I don't know any more then that...but that's what I was told.

Archived