MARATHON WEST INFO

ZR1BANDIT

Based on the performance I've seen from the Nipigon club so far this year... Never. :banghead:

D west might be a good place to go "trail" riding then eh? ;)

Well - up to Gravel River enyway. I am guessing the sapplings will all be bent into the trail beyond that. ???

Actually the trail should be fairly brush free, as they had a big brushing crew out all summer. Just can't seem to find the keys to the groomer, I guess. :wtf:

Summer brushing does not mean much for ice and snow bending them over.

Maybe you don't have much hanging in the trees on the north shore like they doo on the east shore?

Last I was to Gravel River the trail west from there was in process of being brushed from both ends as the ice had it all bent down then too. From there east it is all purdy much on the hydro and we had no issues. The werst of it was that the snow was gitt'n deeper the further west we went and there was just git'n to be enough to go play offtrail. However - it was all sugar and made for tough going... Then I blew a chain and the weekend went downhill from there. (Daggum ratcheting SC-10 rear susp! Got 15 wide and extroverts now!)

The kid there at Gravel River was guiding folks acrost the bay to Red Rock I think? to pick up the trail there. :o It looked like all glare ice out there! No cooling and no traction. (in case you saw a soft spot comming up.)

I'd be interested to know if there is deep snow from your place to White River?

NorthShoreHydrolineSuperior.jpg

not groomed =trail closed in those parts------------

Raed into what you want.

Sounds more like:

"Waiting for someone - say ... maybe Ox (?) ..... to come bust this sucker open for us!"

But I guess it's open for interpretation?

Not open - means no tags needed either eh? :wtf:

She's been busted open for weeks, just not groomed. However, noticed fresh groomer tracks in town this evening. (Must have found the keys) I am headed out for a ride tomorrow and will head in that direction and report back.

BP

She's been busted open for weeks, just not groomed. However, noticed fresh groomer tracks in town this evening. (Must have found the keys) I am headed out for a ride tomorrow and will head in that direction and report back.

BP

great---lets us know

Well, the trail between Nipigon and Red Rock is in good shape, but they apparently broke the the groomer again, so there is still no grooming north to Beardmore or east to the Gravel River. I feel I have spent $360 for permits on two sleds very wisely. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

BP

Well, the trail between Nipigon and Red Rock is in good shape, but they apparently broke the the groomer again, so there is still no grooming north to Beardmore or east to the Gravel River. I feel I have spent $360 for permits on two sleds very wisely. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

BP

Even with no grooming is it possible to get thru there towards Longlac ???

Probably, if you have an idea where the trail goes. The trail was traditionally poorly signed. The club was on a signing mission this summer, so you might be ok. It generally follows the Hydro line from Gravel River to the Limestone Lake Road (unmarked). There are a few tough hills and a spot or two that you might get confused in cutovers. Getting to Nipigon from the Limestone Road is no issue, just cross the highway, hit the pipeline and head south, following all the tracks. Make sure you hang right on the road that bears off, about a kilometre or so past the pipeline valve, so you can catch the bridge over the Nipigon River. If you're by-passing Nipigon (hard to do, depending on your fuel mileage) and headed to Beardmore, same thing, hit the pipeline and keep on it until you hit Beardmore. (some gnarley hills in this section). There should be tracks pretty well on the whole thing, but we had snow this weekend, and I don't know if anyone would have bothered to go back out there. Maybe, by the time you might head this way?

Hmm. Lots of maybes, eh? I guess it really depends on whether you have an idea where the trail goes or not from Gravel River to the Pipeline.

Not much help really, I suppose.

BP

Probably, if you have an idea where the trail goes. The trail was traditionally poorly signed. The club was on a signing mission this summer, so you might be ok. It generally follows the Hydro line from Gravel River to the Limestone Lake Road (unmarked). There are a few tough hills and a spot or two that you might get confused in cutovers. Getting to Nipigon from the Limestone Road is no issue, just cross the highway, hit the pipeline and head south, following all the tracks. Make sure you hang right on the road that bears off, about a kilometre or so past the pipeline valve, so you can catch the bridge over the Nipigon River. If you're by-passing Nipigon (hard to do, depending on your fuel mileage) and headed to Beardmore, same thing, hit the pipeline and keep on it until you hit Beardmore. (some gnarley hills in this section). There should be tracks pretty well on the whole thing, but we had snow this weekend, and I don't know if anyone would have bothered to go back out there. Maybe, by the time you might head this way?

Hmm. Lots of maybes, eh? I guess it really depends on whether you have an idea where the trail goes or not from Gravel River to the Pipeline.

Not much help really, I suppose.

BP

TRAVELED that way a few years back, so this will be the second time we head that way. dont remember the bridge tho, we did cross a frozen river with a very steep bank heading west, it was at night and maybe we missed the bridge, you are right about the hills and twisty's, looking forward to doing it again---keep us posted on the conditions if you can-------------thanks

I'll keep you posted. It is an awesome ride, if they ever get their stuff together.

Conatact NOSTA and complain, please. The more voices that they hear being upset, then maybe they'll understand that their performance at NOT getting the trails in is unacceptable.

Thnks,

BP

I'll keep you posted. It is an awesome ride, if they ever get their stuff together.

Conatact NOSTA and complain, please. The more voices that they hear being upset, then maybe they'll understand that their performance at NOT getting the trails in is unacceptable.

Thnks,

BP

will do-----------maybe it will help matters

Thnks,

BP

will do-----------maybe it will help matters

I sent and email to the contact on the NOSTA web site. I have also sent several messages to nossa@shawcable.com, they have not yet replied. We are planning on riding through that area on 2/21 and 2/22. Looks like we might have to go north from either Wawa or Marathon. Does anyone know what portion of "A" is open? Can you ride from Manitouwadge to Longlac?

Thanks,

Thanks for contacting them. Please continue to bug them. Akron Orange, make sue you emphasize how much money you're not going to spend in Terrace Bay, Schrieber, Beardmore and Geraldton because Nipigon hasn't opend the trail.

Sorry, I don't have any info on the Manitouwadge /Longlac trail. Try the Greenstone Snowmobile Website, they always seem to have good info.

http://snowmobiling.greenstone.ca/LocalSnoClubs/Nakina/tabid/56/Default.aspx

Good Luck

BP

The Manitouwadge section of the A trail north has been groomed but is still marked closed due to signage issues. There is a few KM's of trail that might be a bit rough due to a gravel pit bypass that has just been cut 2 weeks ago, but the gromer has gone through this week, so it should be passable.

I will talk to the Marathon guys on Monday at work to find out about the D trail west from Marathon to Deadhorse RD.

i have my week trip coming up fri and i was hoping to ride to terrace bay finally this year. we were gonna ride out of camp and either go to terrace bay or hearst one day, then back. well it looks like well be going to hearst this year again. thats a nice ride but i would like to see terrace bay sometime. maybe next year

To find Terrace Bay - "Just foller your nose". :lol:

Nathan, If the d west trail ever does open it is an awesome ride. the trail between marathon and terrace bay is very twisty and alot of steep hills to climb. i have rode this trail quite a few times. i would say its my favorite section of trail other than the trail behind northern lights. it needs alot of snow.it would be a long day trip from white river. white river to marathon is around 90 miles ,mostly powerlines.marathon to terrace bay is close to 50 miles. the marathon end up to dead horse creek is a very slow go. but scenic !!!! from dead horse to terrace bay is still twisty but does have some straighter stretches.

I spoke to some of my Marathon contacts at work today and said the plan is to open the D trail west. They were in the process of getting it open but groomer issues are slowing them down ( waiting for parts ). Should be open within the next week or two if everything goes good! Freezing rain warning for tonight though.

• 3 weeks later...
any word on what's going on here???

Quick update.... we rode to Marathon last Sunday, it was mt first time through there. Marathon west was not open yet. If you send an email to NOSSA they will give you a current update. When I called they said that nothing had been groomed from Gravel River to Nipigon. The trails in the region are more technical than I expected, we rode from Wawa to Marathon in a day then to Klotz Lake the next day.

Good Luck,

Archived