Planning trip from Barrie to Dunchurch

kingpin006

Well it looks like my original plan of going farther North has changed. I won't have as much time as I had first hoped. Oh well that's what's nice about living in Ontario it's all good.

So my new plan is we will have 6 guys that love to put on decent miles at a fairly brisk pace so we should be able to cover some ground.

Here is my plan, please let me know what you think and if you have alternate routes that would be preferred.

Leave Barrie on a Friday morning 8:00am ride north to Coldwater (approx 100kms). Take B105 to “C” and ride up -2- Parry Sound (guessing approx 100kms). Continue north on C to (I can't remember the top trail number) to Dunchurch (guessing 120-150kms).

I have heard nothing but great things about Ahmic Lake Resort (I love schnitzel and miss the Schnitzel House on Paudash Lake something fierce) so we either need to have dinner or maybe stay the night, depending on the mileages and time (let me know if my mileages sound good up to this point).

Saturday morning

C101 south to the Seguin, east to Kearney, south on D101B to D102B south to D103B (Baysville) then continue south to “B” continue south to Couchiching over to Orillia then south back home. Again I’m guessing in and around 350kms.

At approx 350kms per day it leaves us some room to be flexible to alternate routes if need be. So let me know if the trails I have chosen seem reasonable if not I’m open to suggestions. I’d like to be in the 350 to 400kms per day.

I have done the trip several times, I have a cottage up in Manetawan. The 1st day trip should be about 175 miles, going from memory. I am using miles as I was driving a polaris at the time. The next leg of the journey I believe is close to 220 miles. I know I used some lakes to save time, all in all if the trails are good, it is a great trip. I hope this helps.

4MY

About Saturday morning. The last time I rode the 101 (10 days ago) it had not been fully brushed let alone groomed. Unless that changes, head east from Ahmic Lake and pic up the 711 south to the Seguin. A nice trail ... enjoy the ride.

About Saturday morning. The last time I rode the 101 (10 days ago) it had not been fully brushed let alone groomed. Unless that changes, head east from Ahmic Lake and pic up the 711 south to the Seguin. A nice trail ... enjoy the ride.

We lost a track on the groomer two weekends ago and thats why the south end was in rough shape.

It was brushed this past weekend. Most of it is in fine shape but still needs another pass down towards the seguin before its perfect. The new snow over the weekend and the next couple days should go along way in filling up the holes.

I suspect it will be in great shape by this weekend.

We lost a track on the groomer two weekends ago and thats why the south end was in rough shape.

Ouch .. must have been a real PIA getting in and out for repairs.

It was brushed this past weekend. Most of it is in fine shape but still needs another pass down towards the seguin before its perfect.

Great to hear ..... It's an awsome trail and usually in fantastic shape.

The new snow over the weekend and the next couple days should go along way in filling up the holes.

I suspect it will be in great shape by this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up :right_on: ... I'll be on it most likely this Saturday!! :woot:

Thanks but i'm going to have to make some changes here anyhow.

I was planning on going up on Friday Feb 13.

Did anyone else know that its Valentines weekend or was it just me? Also its a long weekend, I really need to pay more attention to things.

So I am not going to change weekends i'm just doing some adjustments.

First i'll have to set soemthing up for Valentines before I leave, and it's got to be good or i'm in for a shock when I get home and the locks have been changed.

The other problem is Ahmic Lake Lodge is all booked up (again I guess people plan this Valentines thing a little better than I do).

So i'm back to finding a place for 6 guys to stay for one night. The route can be changed to fit lodging. In fact we can go just about anywhere it's just that none of us has ever rode up in that area and have heard lots of good stuff.

There is another place to stay on Ahmic Lake just down from the resort- Quiet Bay Lodge.

I have had friends stay there, you can arrive on sleds, but be careful of the deer. Its a feeding area on site. Good Luck.

Did anyone else know that its Valentines weekend or was it just me? Also its a long weekend, I really need to pay more attention to things.

First i'll have to set soemthing up for Valentines before I leave, and it's got to be good or i'm in for a shock when I get home and the locks have been changed.

The other problem is Ahmic Lake Lodge is all booked up (again I guess people plan this Valentines thing a little better than I do).

So i'm back to finding a place for 6 guys to stay for one night. The route can be changed to fit lodging. In fact we can go just about anywhere it's just that none of us has ever rode up in that area and have heard lots of good stuff.

Hey, kingpin...try Whitestone Lake Resort...just a short trip (via staked trail) up the lake from Dunchurch. I stayed there one night last year on a saddle-bag outing, and quite liked it. Have a look at their web-site:

There is another place to stay on Ahmic Lake just down from the resort- Quiet Bay Lodge.

I have had friends stay there, you can arrive on sleds, but be careful of the deer. Its a feeding area on site. Good Luck.

Yup.. Nice place and nice owners. I have ice fished in their huts several times and have been in their rooms).. They are also a support of the DunAhmic Snow Riders (as is Ahmic Lake Resort)..

Hey Kingpin.. Make sure you try the Courdeu Blue Schnitzel where your at Ahmic Lake Resort.. It's the king of the Schnitzels!!! Not sure if Patrick still does it, but he brings cehfs over from Swisterland and they make specialties all the time.. Some freaky shredded potato is delicious..

I will drop in there this winter for a meal.. Just luv the place!!!! I miss Ahmic Lake too.. :(

Hey my Ahmic Lake friends :wavey::wavey:

Hey, kingpin...try Whitestone Lake Resort...just a short trip (via staked trail) up the lake from Dunchurch. I stayed there one night last year on a saddle-bag outing, and quite liked it. Have a look at their web-site:

Yup.. Nice place and nice owners. I have ice fished in their huts several times and have been in their rooms).. They are also a support of the DunAhmic Snow Riders (as is Ahmic Lake Resort)..

Hey Kingpin.. Make sure you try the Courdeu Blue Schnitzel where your at Ahmic Lake Resort.. It's the king of the Schnitzels!!! Not sure if Patrick still does it, but he brings cehfs over from Swisterland and they make specialties all the time.. Some freaky shredded potato is delicious..

I will drop in there this winter for a meal.. Just luv the place!!!! I miss Ahmic Lake too.. :(

Hey my Ahmic Lake friends :wavey::wavey:[/quote

Hi Rick. I just got back from a mon to fri at my cottage on Ahmic. All the trails were great except the 101. Mag club trails 706 711 c104d were great esp 711. Seguin was perfect. All the Almagwin clubs trails were great. Rode to Jakes for lunch thursday, lake trails were staked and good, short stretch south of Long Lake was rough but it's just a short bit. The land trail was fresh groomed all the way from Ardbeg to the 105 just south of Arnstien. On thur morn I was the first sled the whole way. Even the stretch through the barrens.....the hard scrabble country....was real good. 101 was quite bad at the bottom on mon and wed. on mon tried to go north from the seguin with some friends and the couple on the touring sled went about 2 kms and turned around. She was bouncing around on the back like a rag doll, all she could do to hang on at 20km. They went back and came up the 711 and beat us back to the cottage by quite a bit. :lol: they were sitting by the fire on their second round by the time we showed up. :coffeenose: Heading back up tue......cheers

the couple on the touring sled went about 2 kms and turned around. She was bouncing around on the back like a rag doll, all she could do to hang on at 20km.

Sure had a chuckle at this one! While most trails were in great shape...for touring sleds the upper C101 was a bit tenuous at times, but the local trail from 101 over to Grey Owl was really bumpy - tough geography for sure. Quite a few helmet smashes....

On a positive note, I have never seen the trail up through Pike's Peak to C104D in such good shape....very nice ride if you want an alternative to north on the 101. Got to see a few deer by Ahmic Lake.

Archived