Muskoka Ride Report - Sat. Jan 17

14 snow

The troop of 12 left Kahshe Lake and headed up D trail through Gravenhurst and on to Bracebridge. The trails were in great shape with about 4" or so of fresh powder. Please note, D trail now crosses a field once you get off South Monk Road. This prevents sledders from riding the road as we have for the past 5 years or so. Please stay on the staked trail through the field. Passed 2 STOP officers at D & 37.

Headed north on 37 which was beautiful with all the snow on the trees and in fine shape. Then made the left onto 33 and headed over to Jimmy Hatz for lunch. It was quite busy with no less than 30 sleds parked out front. Although the menu was limited on this visit, the meal hit the spot and a couple of hours later we were back on the trail.

We back tracked the same route back. This time we were stopped by the OPP at D & 37. Since we all checked out we were quickly on our way.

The next OPP stop was on D trail at the Muskoka Beach Road. This time they at road side with their car and the radar gun. Again we were quickly on our way. Apparently the passing car on the road was not from what I hear.... He was pulled out of the car.

All trails on the return trip were in decent shape considering the overnight snow and typical high traffic of a Saturday in Muskoka.

Muskoka has always been a highly policed area. Gravenhurst/Bracebridge especially.

14 Snow

Is 37 north above 33 open yet , the trail that heads back up to D-trail ? Im going to head to Sprucedale mid week and that is a scenic trail when its open ,but alot of swamps that way

Thanks MM

Muskoka has always been a highly policed area. Gravenhurst/Bracebridge especially.

I have a problem with being profiled by the police as a segment of society that needs to be stopped all the time and documents checked.To me it seems like Nazi Germany or stalinist Russia . Do they stop all cars going down any road and check all documents . If they are after drunks ,do it like a R.I.D.E. stop check the driver as well it would make more sense to look for drunks at other times of the day then mid day . I do believe that a police presence on the trail is good I am just tired of being stopped and documents checked all the time this doesn't happen when we drive our cars down the road or there would be an uproar.

I have a problem with being profiled by the police as a segment of society that needs to be stopped all the time and documents checked.To me it seems like Nazi Germany or stalinist Russia . Do they stop all cars going down any road and check all documents . If they are after drunks ,do it like a R.I.D.E. stop check the driver as well it would make more sense to look for drunks at other times of the day then mid day . I do believe that a police presence on the trail is good I am just tired of being stopped and documents checked all the time this doesn't happen when we drive our cars down the road or there would be an uproar.

I would have to agree. Unless there is a reason to stop you in the first place, why do they?

I would figure that there was a time when many people did not have insurance and it had recently become law, then they were asking for it and checking every time they stopped you. Anytime I have been stopped in the last 20 years, they couldn't have cared less about insurance and registration, so long as I agreed to give it to them, they walked away and never did look at it.

Bill

I live 10 doors off of the D-trail in BB , I get stopped every time I go out and I can live with that but they always nit-pick , your numbers are to low , your numbers are to small blah blah , give me abreak , I do alot of riding at night and never see a cop , this is when the drunks are out and people with invalid documents .Bracebridge is well know for 2 things ,our floating bridge and COPS , I better go before this becomes a rant

MM

14 Snow

Is 37 north above 33 open yet , the trail that heads back up to D-trail ? Im going to head to Sprucedale mid week and that is a scenic trail when its open ,but alot of swamps that way

Thanks MM

It is not listed as open yet but there were plenty of sled tracks. My guess it is not open yet due to the water through that stretch. Once it is open, I like this section of trail too.

Since you mentioned mid week, I would check again as it MAY be open by then.

We ran to Sydneys for lunch saturday. Considering the snow and traffic, the trails were great. Scott par usual had great wings and rings. I heard the birgers and pasta were A#1 as well. Saw 3 spot checks yesterday. #1 was just into the woods on a blind corner in the trees just after crossing the farmers field where the new section of trail crosses Monk road that Kevin mentioned. Truthfully, had I been riding like a weekend warrior, one stop guy and one OPP would be in hospital rightnow. even at the posted limit, just as I entered theblind corner there they were, 4 sleds hampering the trail width and two yoohoos standing in the middle of the trail giving conflictiong traffic directions as to where to stop. ( DOH ) .

Once stopped, they looked for trail passes and valid registration numbers. One cop commented about my numbers being on the tunnel but just commented, nothing more.

Pretty much the same deal with a check and a wave thru at D103B? coming back from Sydneys. and again at D and 37. They had the ticket books going and just waived us thru without stopping.

Huge snow fall overnight. We currentl have about a foot and a half of fluff on the lakes.

Gotta feeling the trials will be amazing by next friday :)

Archived