would like sopme opinions on the xp sleds

blue er

Thinking it's time to get rid of the apex and have been looking at the xp's in particular an 09 renegade 800r anyone know of the plus and minuses of this sled? any problems that i should be looking for?

I have a buddy of mine in NY State who has about 500 miles on one now. A little pushy in the corners but it really hooks up with the longer track. Less vibration than his last years XP800 with the 121 track.

He likes it. I also thought BRP did a better job managing the Thumb Pull. Last years sled was tiresome to ride for long periods because of stiff springs in the carbs. Seems better this year.

Only down fall is their engines. If you plan to trade every two years don't worry about it. They have been using sealed crank bearings in the series 3 and newer engines. Other manufactures like poo and yammie use the oil injection pump to lubricate the bearings, which tripples the life. I haven't heard anything bad about the etec's yet or the four stroke. If doo could get the engines to last, I would buy one in a second.

If I had to choose again I would buy a used REV or a newer Yamaha. The XP is not as well thought out for accessories as the REV and definitely not worth the money for a Chinese sled that is French assembled :whatever:

I have had lots of problems, all quality related. At least when you buy a Chinese product, you know you are getting what you pay for. With BRP, you get Chinese quality at Canadian made prices.

OK here goes, I am not selling these just my personal experience. I have a 09 800 renegade this year, about 500 miles so far. I like it but wish I could get 800 etec. Last sled was 06 600 sdi renegade, 7500 miles, 1 belt 4 plugs. Sled before that was 04 600 HO renegade 6500 miles no problems. Machine before that was 02 600 renegade I kept for 5 years and lost track of miles, no problems. I like the long track. You dont need it with a rev but for where i ride the way i ride i like it. The best value going is the 500 ss, have 1 of those also but thats another story. I have put lots of miles on my last 5 new sleds all ski doo and no problems. Use IPA with your fuel and drive. XP chassis is good, 09 better than 08. Best one of bunch was 06 SDI. I will trade to 800 ETEC when available and proven. Demoed a 600 ETEC renegade at christmas and loved it, just a tad light on HP. I am a bigger guy who also has two up for kids etc. If you are lucky enough to put 6-8000 miles on a sled in 3 or 4 years trade it. Cheaper than fixing them. I have had good luck with 2 strokes and dont want to pay more for a 4 stroke. Next one will be 800 ETEC , I hope.

I'm currently riding a 2008 MXZX 800R... 5200km with no issues other than the handle bar warmer problem that seemed to plague many of the new REV XP's last year.. and I had the drive shaft replaced under the recall.. other than that it has been a great sled... with the stock setup the sled does understeer too much but that it easily solved by going to a double carbide setup! Best part is the light weight... I wouldn't even consider any other sled unless it was lighter than my current sled... absolutely zero engine issues. My previous sled was a 2006 MXZX 800HO.. sold the sled to a friend with 12,500 km on it... that sled had zero engine issues and continues to run great.. in fact that sled had no problems at all, just received regular service.

Two thumbs up for the REV XP here!

thanks guys will be seriously looking at a spring order x renegade, unless yammy comes out with something outstanding this year

Hey Blue.. ride a 09 Nitro thats been setup. They are a nice ride.

Archived