Wawa trails update

FINNDIAN

I actually got to ride a sled today. :D

Trails have some fresh snow on top but were smooth.

Were hoping to have time to stake wawa lake this week.

Doug and Sam headed to halfway haven this morning to take their time grooming and brushing (2days) to get some of the hanging brush cleared and install some more pallets to fix up any creeks that are still flowing.

If the snow ever gives us a break and we can get caught up we will venture up trails 3 and 7 before long.

here is a pic I took dec 31 while grooming d south.

PC310012.jpg

and one of trail 5 sectrion that is plowed (no sign of any vehicle traffic on there today when i rode through)

PC310013.jpg

Nice Pictures... Have to love the snow hanging in the trees.

How is that little bombi for grooming compared to the tractors??

Ron

bombi is great for opening trail without a drag. has been and very high maintenance machine for us and not much good with a drag once the snow gets deep.

Tucker is the machine for us.

The guys decided to turn around at halfway haven and come back. I picked them up at anjigami at 1am. They did a lot of brushing and fixed up the creeks that needed attention. Our end should be nice now.

Nice Pictures... Have to love the snow hanging in the trees.

How is that little bombi for grooming compared to the tractors??

Ron

bombi is great for opening trail without a drag. has been and very high maintenance machine for us and not much good with a drag once the snow gets deep.

Tucker is the machine for us.

Then from the picture of your bbq on the other thread it's time to put the bomardier away.. :lol:

Don't think I;ve ever seen the tucker

gord, have you guys groomed out to manitouwak lake yet? anyone have any updates if that lake is safe yet. give people another loop opportunity. trail or magpie up to dub, dub to missanabi for an ernie burger, then back the lakes to wawa. nice big loop with lots of scenery. ski

Was through there back in '98 with a mixed up group that I didn't know. (Aboot 3 diff groups all run together near as I kould finger. LOL!) I drove up alone.

That's a wild ride up through the canyon - not having eny shoreline to git off on for quite a ways as I remember. ???

Then monkeyed around and smoked a belt just out on Dog a ways. (I hate stopping on ice! I'll cross/ride it all day long - but I hate stopping!)

Not my hood up:

Manitouwak1998.jpg

Wow all those woots made me dizzy.

I would give manitowik some more time. We actaully closed that trail to save $ mostly just used by fishermen with no permits. We may do a pass later on though if we have some spare time.

we rode the magpie last week, no slush, flat and smooth till the water level drops. on the dub side there are a ton of ice fishing huts on the ice including a small camper/trailer. and one guy even has satelite tv in his hut. some guys take their fishing seriously up there. LOL! ski

Gord, any info on Magpie and when it might get opened??

I plan on grooming up that way on the way to work on trail 7 on sunday. I understand it won't be staked this year. There will be a trail ends sign on both ends, as it's a very dangerous place to ride at times.

Thats great news cannot wait to get up there and do our saddlebag tour thanks for all the up-dates on the trails.

zrtkat

Wawa Lake is now staked. D trail to dubreuilville is fully open with no detours.

When on Earth did you start staking Wawa Lake? :wtf:

... OK - lemme guess ... Ever since the trail around the lake was closed eh? :crazy:

Wawa Lake is now staked. D trail to dubreuilville is fully open with no detours.

When on Earth did you start staking Wawa Lake? :wtf:

... OK - lemme guess ... Ever since the trail around the lake was closed eh? :crazy:

third season now. Ya we lost the trail along side the lake Due to a landowner that wanted to get paid for the trail to cross his useless vacant land in the middle of nowhere. :crazy:

After that though our bridge was condemned and mining issues killed the first part of the trail anyway. It added a lot to our grooming anyway so I wasn't sad to see it go. most people ran the lake anyway even when we had the trail.

That section is brutal!

Our first experience sledding in Ont was ratt there 12/96.

That section had not been (near as I can tell) ever groomed and was enough to make us think that Mich trails weren't all that bad. :o :curse:

If things didn't straiten up soon we would'a went home and sold the bloody sleds!

Ok, maybe we woulnd't'a sold the sleds, but ....

Things did of course straiten up later. But we sure broke some trail that week!

Also very tough section on 2wd ATV's!

Can't you just bugger out to the iron mill and run the R/R tracks out to the trail?

That hill top trail was the first trail that we ever rode in Wawa back in 05' and we thought it was awesome. It made use think how crappy the trails in michigan were. I can't imagine how hard that trail was to groom though, but it made us believers in Canada and how sweet the trails are.

I assume this is the one that Mr. Suffleupaguss .... uhrrr .... Yetti, or what's his name (not been on much last two yrs...) had posted pics of grooming in yrs past?

I don't know where this is?

I have been on the hydro behind Wawa - but walking - scouting for more riding areas. Eating blueberries and stumbling acrost bear bait piles in late afternoon.... :crazy: I did look up occassionally from the berries to make sure I was the only one eating... ;)

There weren't much means of running the hydro there!

I am somewhat familier with the trail from Mo's up to the dam rd... Have taken the R/R out to the lake and hydro there as well... I have been on the hydro most everywhere east of town.... But never seen enything like the pic...

Where is it?

Can't you just bugger out to the iron mill and run the R/R tracks out to the trail?

no the RR tracks are privately owned and we don't have access. It wouldn't be possible to groom that anyway it drifts over way too bad.

As far as the pic, if you mean the one above. The groomer is heading down to the end of wawa lake about a mile and a bit from the lake. in the background of the pic is where we cross the firesand creek.

No - that is in ref to the "Hilltop Trail".

Archived