Alright trails going to open?

slowskidoo

District 4 Alliston trails are limited as of last night. Translation...better have good suspension.

There are some awesome trails in that area but there is a lot of road running too. Stay to the north of 89.

I live at Heidelberg & belong to St. Clements and Waterloo Rod & Gun Clubs. We fixed a bridge on the WRG trail this morning and the plowed fields getting there were very rough.

Trailmaster for St. Clements Emailed me tonight to say those trails won't open till we get more snow on the plowed fields.

I want to get riding as badly as anyone. Its not fun watching the idiots going by our place on the closed trails but I smile when I think of what they are doing to their rides!

St. Clements just today got all the stakes put back up that went down in the big wind & mild weather.

WRG still has stakes to replace & likely won't mark their trails open til that's done.

Godrich, Clinton, & St. Helen as of Saterday night are listed as limited. So is Exeter. Hubby was up that way on Fri and said they had more snow that we did. Just need some more snow. I'm hoping by the end of the week. Nothing like riding when it is below -15.

I just received word that a man was killed last night near the Brussels/Blyth/Wingham trail junction. He was leading a group and hit a chunk of frozen dirt on a plowed field, was thrown off the sled and broke his neck. His name was Peter Robertson and he was about 38 years old and had worked at Westcast in Wingham. He leaves a wife & two children, 6 & 12 years old.

This is one of the reasons that the clubs are not showing trails as open yet. There is not enough snow to pack a safe trail base that will cover the chunks of frozen dirt on the plowed fields in much of this area.

None of us want to see something like this happen so please try to be patient.

You know that the people in the clubs making the decisions to open & close the trails are sledders too & want to be out riding as badly as anybody does.

Thanks plc

Our prayers go out to the family

I think it is important for some posts as to why some of the trails are not open...in our case we have to trailer 1 1/2 hr minimum to get to the trails although we have never rode on closed trails, more than once we have thought about loading and trying to find a open trail.If you done have internet and drive to the trail system I can certinaly see how people can be on closed trails.There has been lots of discussion about how we get reporting to the main site but your info about lack of snow on plowed fields was great...THANKS!

Just add some more info and actual eye witness accounts:

I went for a tour in the truck yesterday and covered some of Science Hill Drifters and a lot of Thamesford S/C trails, there is spots out there that are rideable and the groomers have been through trying to pack a base. I did see the Thamesford groomer out on Friday at St. Marys and we met him again near Medina on Saturday.

However there is some plowed fields that were bare at the beginning of last week and the bit of fluff we got ain't coming close to making any of them ridable. In fact some I seen looked just brutal. The groomer are hard at it and I would think that the snow we got last night will help a lot.

You are correct Skidooer. That would be the Blyth & Clinton area trails. I am led to believe that the accident did not occur on Blyth trails but cannot confirm that.

I empathize with the pressures that the clubs fall under when conditions are less than prefect (especially once January comes). I often question the idea of opening under "Limited Conditions". I was up around Molesworth and Gorrie on Friday and seen the ploughed fields for myself. Chunks of frozen soil were strewn about the trail, 1 foot round. I have heard first hand people bitch that they have paid for their permit and deserve to ride trails if they want to.

PISTON LAKE CRUISER says it best." You know that the people in the clubs making the decisions to open & close the trails are sledders too & want to be out riding as badly as anybody does."

Limited means trails have dangers. Closed means don't ride. There is a reason.

My condolences to the family of Peter Robertson.

You are correct Skidooer. That would be the Blyth & Clinton area trails. I am led to believe that the accident did not occur on Blyth trails but cannot confirm that.

I was told the accident happened close to Belgrave. He may have been on Wingham trails.

That is plain terrible. thoughts and prays to the family

That is plain terrible. thoughts and prayers to the family

Archived