E-TEC finally hits the snow! Mid-season Ski-Doo released.

skidooer

Ummm LMV

I may need a new avatar 8-)

(just kidding Rick .. I bleed blue)

I'll let you guys know how it works.

My dealer has already offered me his when it gets in to ride it for a couple days to see what I think of it.

If I can't break it , nobody can. :twisted::D

My dealer has already offered me his when it gets in to ride it for a couple days to see what I think of it.

i know a couple of guys that could break a anvil :mrgreen:

Very interesting technology. I`m hopeful it will work out. I believe Doo has been testing these things for 4 years now. This could be a serious blow to the Four stroke!

This could be a serious blow to the Four stroke!

BRP's biggest challenge is going to be convincing people that the E-TEC engine solves the problems the legacy two-stroke has. Yamaha has done a wonderful job with their four stroke marketing. Is it too late for the DI two stroke, even if it is technically superior?

even if it is technically superior?

:shock:

"I said, pardon".

"Fake 'm with a 2 stroke, hit'm with a 4 stroke"

Is that technically superior enough for you?

:lol:

:shock:

The DI two-stroke is an advanced modern computing system strapped onto a simple pump. The four-stroke is a complex piece of mechanics that was developed hundreds of years ago.

I guess you could argue that the four o'clock autogyro is technically superior to e-mail, but you'd be wrong. :lol:

This could be a serious blow to the Four stroke!

BRP's biggest challenge is going to be convincing people that the E-TEC engine solves the problems the legacy two-stroke has. Yamaha has done a wonderful job with their four stroke marketing. Is it too late for the DI two stroke, even if it is technically superior?

I think it will. The new oil is environmentally friendly and unlike a four stroke you don`t have to worry about where to dump all that contaminated oil from the crankcase.

But I`ll never be able to afford one so what`s the point. I`ll stay with my stinky little 500ss 2 stroke!

i know a couple of guys that could break a anvil :mrgreen:

Are they from Haliburton ? Years ago we met a bunch from Haliburton who were known by Bombardier as the Haliburton wrecking crew it was thier goal rack up as many dollars in warranty costs as the sled cost. Once they had bought a sled from another dealer (cat ) and dropped by our shop for warranty work. As they were on a ride I loaned them my sled while we dropped everything to service thier sled under warranty (remember that we did not even sell the sled that came in for warranty) They proceeded to destroy both of my belts and jump my sled off a cliff and then complain that it wrecked thier ride.

Folks like that can piss off the good humour man :evil:

Kind of interested in this development as my main concern with the 4 stroke is the battery or starter motor calling it a day in the middle of nowhere and no plan B to getting it started again. Yamaha has even dropped the battery warmer that was formerly available. (so I guess an 'emergency kit' involving a tin of compressed air or something like that is out of the question)

I envision my next sled as a single trail sled with the capability of installing a comfortable jack seat for Ms. Slomo when she feels inclined for a ride. If this engine becomes standard on some other models, it is an alternative for me -given electronics and other reliability issues are up to the task.

You have to wonder how these new engines can burn that much less oil . I'm all for only topping up once a season but can it go 5000km doing that ? I can't see it but dam it would be nice .

You have to wonder how these new engines can burn that much less oil . I'm all for only topping up once a season but can it go 5000km doing that ? I can't see it but dam it would be nice .

In the old design 2 stroke the oil was always being washed out by the gas passing through the crankcase therefore making the addition of more oil neccasary .

In the DFI engine the gas does not pass through the crankcase therefore the oil lingers and is not washed out therefore lowering the demand for oil .

The thought of only topping up the oil concerns me though . Imagine you were on a trip going through the hamlet of megasnow ontario when the light comes on :shock: You CANNOT use any other oil in this engine and Clem at the gas station doesn't have all his teeth let alone the prescribed oil . It would be better to tell folks that you may only need to buy oil once a year .

Over all this technology works well in the outboards along with the Mercury Optimax and Yamaha HPDI . Indeed in the outboards we find it more reliable than four strokes and less costly on maintenence. It will work,probably have teething issues but it will work.

I don't understand why would the light come on if you only need to top it once a season ? I'm sure before any trip you would top it up . So if its topped it should be good for weeks should it not . I just don't buy it , I burned 60 liters of oil last year I can't see me only burning like 7 liters all season ( full reservoir to start and one top up ) .

I don't understand why would the light come on if you only need to top it once a season ? I'm sure before any trip you would top it up . So if its topped it should be good for weeks should it not . I just don't buy it , I burned 60 liters of oil last year I can't see me only burning like 7 liters all season ( full reservoir to start and one top up ) .

If you don.t keep it topped up then when you least espect it you will run low. My point is that I don't like the advertising of only filling it up once a year can lead to laziness as far as maintenence checking . Our sport takes you a bit far back in the bush to be on an unserviced sled.

I know of several doo's that go for 5000 km on a tank of oil unfortuneatly it's attached to a tow rope behind my 4-stroke :twisted:

Have also seen many an e-tec blown up the last couple years, is it the di system itself or brp's usual lack of quality control.

they have had what seems issue's upon issue's with crank life can't see it any better with this system unless they are making vast improvemnts to the liquid cooled cases.

Glad BuRP has released a serious mid-winter product.

The year I purchased Attak, they released the Freestyle. The Freestyle was not a great mid-winter "attention grabber".

Not being mechanically inclined (it behooves you to stay silent on this point, Wildbill :lol: ), I can't comment on the technology.

The posts on this forum about the product have been great. Lets hope long term tests yield a reliable, clean burning engine. If not, I always carry extra rope :roll: ).

I know of several doo's that go for 5000 km on a tank of oil unfortuneatly it's attached to a tow rope behind my 4-stroke :twisted:

Have also seen many an e-tec blown up the last couple years, is it the di system itself or brp's usual lack of quality control.

they have had what seems issue's upon issue's with crank life can't see it any better with this system unless they are making vast improvemnts to the liquid cooled cases.

The bottom end will incorporates the same one that is found on the 600sdi. Which means no liquid cooling!

The bottom end will incorporates the same one that is found on the 600sdi. Which means no liquid cooling!

I don't think this will be an issue . The induction air will provide sufficient cooling . We run a marine service center that provides full service to 4 marinas as well as our own service. At this point we maintain several E-TEC motors with no problems and have only heard of one failing and that one is on a contractors barge. (outboards don't last on barges well I have seen them all fail on barges quickly 4 stroke,conventional 2-stroke and all DFI's ) Customers are very satisfied with these outboards.

Archived