First Ride

SNOGUZZLER

My buddy and myself went for a rip on Saturday morning. We left from St. Ola up the tracks to Maynooth. It was a pretty awesome ride. The southern end hadn't seen a groomer yet but had enough snow. The only trouble we encountered was a tree across the tracks. We borrowed a saw from a near by house to remove it. Once we hit L'amble (or at least the trail coming from it) the tracks had been groomed a day or 2 before. On the return trip we even ended up on freshly groomed trails!!! A great first ride!!

And I was in T.O. Well @ least the Leafs beat the Flyers. Won't be up next weekend either.

Last winter we were riding on the Eel's Lake forest access roads the 1st weekend in Dec'.

Snoguzzler, did you park by the MTO yard? That's where I start from for early season riding. Talked to the guys there & said they didn't mind folks parking on the Brinklow Rd as long as they don't block the gate.

The railbed from Coe Hill has a couple of wet spots by beaver ponds that need to freeze up good before I start from Coe Hill.

I have parked there but usually we leave from behing Trudys right on Hwy 62 at St Ola.

And no the trails aren't officially open -If there were then we wouldn't have needed to remove the tree form the trail.

I consider it a bonus ride. I got to put some miles on the sled but don't expect perfectly groomed safe trails. i drive with more caution then usual.

I consider it a bonus ride. I got to put some miles on the sled but don't expect perfectly groomed safe trails. i drive with more caution then usual.

X2

had my sled out on the weekend as well, playing in the ditches and park by my house was able to stay on good snow from my place down to kennedy bay area

Ya gotta be very careful riding when the trails are not open. For good reason, there is likely to be hidden trees, displaced rocks or god knows what else might be hidden by the fresh snow. I think I will wait until they are officially open. Plus you won' piss off any landwoners either. Give the clubs the chance to fininsh brushing or in some cases brushing again.

The trail that SNOGUZZLER & I are talking about is a railbed. If it wasn't for it being "higher ground" I doubt he'd be going riding. The terrain around there doesn't suit early season riding.

I am sure the groomer was out to create a good base to help us have great trails for the season. Now that someone has been out there trespassing on closed trails, the hard work of the volunteer groomer driver has been negated.

:angry:

I know the railbed in Haliburton (Victoria rail line) is VERY sensitive. Sledders (TOPB) use it in Winter. ATVer's in the Spring Summer and hikers, walkers, horseback riding all year. Those who live "on the trail" are looking for any reason to complain to the township. Let's give them lot"s of reasons to cancel trail agreements. I would really hate to use this trail for recreation.

Come on guys...let's wait a couple more weeks. I too am itching to ride...I have a brand new GSX to enjoy!

Maybe the people that have the need to get out for that early season ride( on closed trails) while the rest of us work our butt's off trying to get trails ready and then have to take calls from landowners about people riding before pemission is given to open, should contact there local clubs about helping. Then they could take there sleds out get a ride in and see the hard work that go's into our trails. But no, that would mean they might have to work, they would rather complain that there is a reroute and they have to ride the road instead of a trail.

Be part of the solution, not the problem. Snowmoliling is a privlage not a right.

Oh and railbed is private property ! :crazy:

I'm not on here to argue and pee people off, but I have to respond to previous posts. The rail bed that i'm talking about is part of the Hastings Hertiage Trail and is open year round to motorized vechiles. So that can't be considered trespassing on private property.

I don't know anyone's real name from here so I doubt you know mine. So how do you know how much work I do or don't do for my local club. For your information I worked my way up through the ranks of my local club to the position of president. Believe me I did a lot of work! That was a few years ago, nowadays I ride more then work. Read my past posts. I don't complain about trails, a snowmobile club or signage etc. I'm just happy to be out.

I'm not on here to argue and pee people off, but I have to respond to previous posts. The rail bed that i'm talking about is part of the Hastings Hertiage Trail and is open year round to motorized vechiles. So that can't be considered trespassing on private property.

I don't know anyone's real name from here so I doubt you know mine. So how do you know how much work I do or don't do for my local club. For your information I worked my way up through the ranks of my local club to the position of president. Believe me I did a lot of work! That was a few years ago, nowadays I ride more then work. Read my past posts. I don't complain about trails, a snowmobile club or signage etc. I'm just happy to be out.

So did you have the blessing of your club, the one that groomed those trails, to ride on them?

Good job Guzzler a past prez would certainly know whats what and thx for your past work.

I know this trail being a local as well. I brush here and will be taking the chainsaw out this weekend to clear some falls I noted and do so throughout the season. I cleared some of the heritage this week but was reluctant to say so for just this reason. You just can't win with some so mums the word I guess.

Archived