Snowtrax TV - New Season starting Sat Jan 18th

LuvMyViper

Hey everyone Snowtrax TV is starting a new season this week. Here's some show times (all on tsn)...

2007/2008 Season

Saturday, January 19th, @ 11:00 am (eastern)

Wednesday, January 23rd, @ 12:30 pm (eastern)

Saturday, January 26th, @ 4:30 am (eastern)

They have a very interesting topic their Tip of the Week (I receive their emails)..

INTRODUCING SPOT

THE WORLD’S FIRST SATELLITE MESSENGER

Has this ever happened to you….you’re riding down the trail and your sled all of a sudden breaks down in the middle of no where. You go to use your cell phone and quickly realize that there is no cell phone coverage. All of a sudden you’re stranded, hoping someone will eventually come down the trail to help. Now imagine something even worse in those no signal cell phone areas; you become stranded in a life or death scenario and need help immediately. What are your options now….well, hopefully you are smart enough and go out and purchase yourself SPOT – The Worlds First Satellite Messenger.

Whether you’re just checking in, allowing others to track your progress, or calling for help – SPOT gives you a vital line of communication with friends and family when you want it, and emergency assistance when and where you need it. And since it utilizes 100% satellite technology, SPOT works around the world – even where cell phones don’t.

For as little as $169.00 for hardware and an annual service subscription of about $100.00 you’ll be set up with the following basic features:

ALERT 9-1-1:

- Dispatch emergency responders to your exact location. Unlimited usage included

CHECK IN:

- Let contacts know where you are and that you’re okay. Unlimited usage included

ASK FOR HELP:

- Request help from friends and family at your exact location. Unlimited usage included.

For more information on SPOT – The Worlds First Satellite Messenger log onto http://www.findmespot.com to locate a dealer nearest you.

The satellite tracking seems like a good system...also heard you could rent satellite phones which would come in handy if wilderness riding only once in a while...not having to pay a yearly subscription.

I guess you could record the program, but don't understand why they air it on daytime Saturday.... :? most people are out sledding.

Spot - interesting and helpful product.

Came across a sledding accident 5 years ago. Friend of injured rider had GPS and cell phone, but 911 would not accept co-ordinates. Could not deal with them.

We volunteered to look for open cottage, residents for exact address.

Found an ice fisherman, who told us street name, etc (how often do you look at street name when you turn onto a concession, ?).

911 responded (at that time) to municipal address only.

Glad that they presumably now accept GPS co-ordinates.

Thanks LMV.

I guess you could record the program, but don't understand why they air it on daytime Saturday.... :? most people are out sledding.

Snowtrax has no choice on air times,they are just happy to get on a channel like TSN so they can sell the show to their sponsers.I'm quite sure John would love to get CTV tuesday nite just before American Idol. :P

Agreed re: timing.

You don't see NHL hockey games at noon on weekdays;

Why have a sledding show Sat afternoon, starting January.

We basically have 2 months to sled... not sure many are home Sat. to watch, and 'taping' is not an option for someone whose VCR blinks 12:00 :roll:

point of interest

watched a sno trax show on polishing aluminum, messed up (sreeb) wrote jeff and asked for the the show details on how to polish. he was good enough to reply.

go green

go fast

go home

SAFE

or in my case,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

or in my sleds case,, i can see my face on my running boards.

gs i think i'll go to the shop and admire myself. :ugeek:

Did he reply that he couldn't understand a word you wrote?

Spot - interesting and helpful product.

Came across a sledding accident 5 years ago. Friend of injured rider had GPS and cell phone, but 911 would not accept co-ordinates. Could not deal with them.

We volunteered to look for open cottage, residents for exact address. Found an ice fisherman, who told us street name, etc (how often do you look at street name when you turn onto a concession, ?).

911 responded (at that time) to municipal address only.

Glad that they presumably now accept GPS co-ordinates.

See your point here Canuck - saves site descriptions such as 'I can see a stream and there is a downed birch tree...'

Hope they're including other 'wilderness' groups for product sustainability.

Snowtrax has no choice on air times,they are just happy to get on a channel like TSN so they can sell the show to their sponsers.

Probably true...but timing could be better for sure...worked at TSN in various capacities in the early days...there were some programs TSN bought and also other programs initiated by independent producers who 'bought' the air time with program sponsor revenue or a combination of their spots and ones aired by TSN. Things have probably changed since then.

Is 911 a service that someone can call if they break down alone and will they come and tow you out ? I ride almost entirely alone and at some point I'm going to need a tow . I don't know any one in my area who sleds that I can call to tow me out if need be . Whats my best options do you think 911 . Someone should start a sled towing business I'd carry there card :D

Here's some interesting information (from the US)

Good information and it works .....

5 THINGS YOU PROBABLY NEVER KNEW YOUR CELL PHONE COULD DO

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.

Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST: Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobiles is 112.

If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number

112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND: Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy Someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock.

Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!'

THIRD: Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your cell will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

FOURTH: How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: * # 0 6 # A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

And

Finally....

FIFTH: Free Directory Service for Cells

Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411 information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial: (800) FREE 411, or (800) 373-3411 without incurring any charge at all. Program this into your cell phone now.

Is 911 a service that someone can call if they break down alone and will they come and tow you out ? I ride almost entirely alone and at some point I'm going to need a tow . I don't know any one in my area who sleds that I can call to tow me out if need be . Whats my best options do you think 911 . Someone should start a sled towing business I'd carry there card :D

Always carry tools, spare belt, plugs etc and a proper tow rope. Snowmobiliers are the most helpful people in the world and I doubt would ever pass by someone in need. If your'e prepared I am sure someone would tow you out onto the next road crossing. You could always call for a tow by a flat bed from there back to your car/truck and trailer.

I do carry with me a list of tow truck companies numbers located in my area and I agree the flat bed is the way to go . There are times and areas that I know it would be the next day before someone comes by then I walk . I'll just deal with the situation when it arises and running Doo that could be anytime :shock:

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy Someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock.

Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!'

LuvMyViper are you the editor? If not, any one here tried this? Am I the only one who didn't know this wonderful trick?!

LuvMyViper are you the editor? If not, any one here tried this? Am I the only one who didn't know this wonderful trick?!

Hey .. No I was not the editor but will try it myself... So it worked...

Well it's to good to be true folks. I checked it out on Urban Legends.about.com and here is what they had to say:

"Comments: Comforting though it may be to imagine you can unlock your car door in an emergency by receiving a distant signal via your cell phone, it can't possibly work — not with the technology as it now stands, at any rate.

Here's why:

Your remote car key operates by sending a weak, encrypted radio signal to a receiver inside the automobile, which in turn activates the door locks.

Since the system works on radio waves, not sound, the only conceivable way a signal from your spare remote could be picked up by one cell phone and relayed to your car's onboard receiver by another would be if both phones were capable of sending and receiving at exactly the same frequency as the remote itself — which they can't be, given that all remote entry devices operate at frequencies between 300 and 500 MHz, while all mobile phones, by law, operate at 800 MHz and higher.

It's apples vs. oranges, in other words. Your cell phone can no more transmit the type of signal needed to unlock a car door than your remote key is capable of dialing up your Aunt Mary ... though no one can predict what miracles the future may bring. "

I always wondered that myself! :banghead:

Well it's to good to be true folks. I checked it out on Urban Legends.about.com and here is what they had to say:

"Comments: Comforting though it may be to imagine you can unlock your car door in an emergency by receiving a distant signal via your cell phone, it can't possibly work — not with the technology as it now stands, at any rate.

Here's why:

Your remote car key operates by sending a weak, encrypted radio signal to a receiver inside the automobile, which in turn activates the door locks.

Since the system works on radio waves, not sound, the only conceivable way a signal from your spare remote could be picked up by one cell phone and relayed to your car's onboard receiver by another would be if both phones were capable of sending and receiving at exactly the same frequency as the remote itself — which they can't be, given that all remote entry devices operate at frequencies between 300 and 500 MHz, while all mobile phones, by law, operate at 800 MHz and higher.

It's apples vs. oranges, in other words. Your cell phone can no more transmit the type of signal needed to unlock a car door than your remote key is capable of dialing up your Aunt Mary ... though no one can predict what miracles the future may bring. "

Agreed Phatboy, as you quoted these car door openers work on RF and not sound.

Also checked out the Free 411 and that is a service out of the US, while you can connect with them they don't provide numbers for Canada.

Archived