Rubber matting on trailer

IndySKS

I have the chance at getting some 30 wide x 1/4 inch thick conveyor belting. Was thinking of putting it on the trailer for traction and to protect the bed from studs.

Has anyone else done this?

Pro's ?

Cons?

Will it work for traction better than the plywood?

If i had extra does any one want some?

I have the chance at getting some 30 wide x 1/4 inch thick conveyor belting. Was thinking of putting it on the trailer for traction and to protect the bed from studs.

Has anyone else done this?

Pro's ?

Cons?

Will it work for traction better than the plywood?

If i had extra does any one want some?

Should do the trick. Likely have to trim in down to 16-18" I would think.

Maple needs some ;)

Works great as long as properly fastened ( so spinning track does'nt pull it) As far as cutting down???Why? I've ran this on my open double for the last 5 yrs , no problem.

Sheeted the whole bottom of the 16X7 enclosed with rubber. Might grab some ski skins we'll see.

Works great as long as properly fastened ( so spinning track does'nt pull it) As far as cutting down???Why? I've ran this on my open double for the last 5 yrs , no problem.

Sheeted the whole bottom of the 16X7 enclosed with rubber. Might grab some ski skins we'll see.

So you run the skis on the track mat?? :?

Maple needs some ;)

Wildbill wants to loan you some new power tools to assist with the installation.

:?

Maple needs some ;)

Wildbill wants to loan you some new power tools to assist with the installation.

:?

:umno:

I like my tools working thanks

Once I get the two sleds I'll figure out who is going where in the trailer and then ct a set of redneck runners...( an old pickup truck box liner.

So you run the skis on the track mat?? :?

My only concern Dave would be water getting trapped under there and then rotting out the plywood anyways.

The stuff I bought from Royal and all others have channels to allow air to circulate under there and allow the water to drain out.

I ended up installing a sacrificial plywood floor out of 3/8" plywood screwed on top of the expensive treated marine grade plywood. I let it take all of the abuse then swap it for a new one in a couple of years. Seeing how the studs have taken their toll on the sac. floor, I'm glad I went that route.

Bryan C. might still have a brand new truck bed liner kicking around for real cheap. He had several. I picked up one from him to make ski guides out of inside the trailer. I used the stuff Royal sells on the front and back ramps though. If you go that route, use the new stuff that you can actually walk up. It's great. Mine's like a slide. I keep doing some interesting back flips whenever I forget that.

If you only put down a 18" X 36" to 48" strip for the track and use ski guides you might be all right.

Plus what you end up to cover ramp/door but again only put it down where your track will ride.

If you use it under the skis, I would think that the carbides will dig in or catch the fibers in the belt and then create too much resistance that'll cause your track to spin. Just guessing there though as I've never rode on belting.

If you have any connections with the arena there, I know a guy that got the matting they use to protect the skates and floors and he lined the whole floor and ramp with it and it works well. Doesn't snag or get stuck at all. It is very slippery though when your boots are wet. I think that belt might be as well.

Good luck.

Jeff

Dave I agree with Jeff about the rot under the rubber, best stuff I found was to use the plastic or composite board (the same stuff they use for bridging planks, but in sheeting). A 4x8 3/8 sheet is about $35, just cut 20" strips and run them up the middle on each side, then 10" strips with 4" strips screwed to each side for ski guides. Caulk around it all so as not to let water under and your set ....... you wont be able to wear it out in your life time.

And.like I said,pick up some discontinued ski skins(normally color-purple) from Royal and you won't have to worry about carbides digging into anything!

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I guess i should have added that i wasn't looking to cover the whole trailer floor with it. Just a track strip maybe 20 inches wide on the ramp and deck and only on one side of the trailer in case the second person has studs. I have a double set of ski guides already on the trailer, it's just the thought of studs ripping the plywood a part that gets me.

post-3719-1201132519_thumb.jpg

At the suggestion of another member here, I used stall mat from TSC. You buy one barn stall mat and it will do the whole trailer (cut in strips). I also used it to protect the garage/driveway when loading by placing a strip down just before the trailer. It is grooved on the underside for venting and it is heavy enough to stay without fastening if needed.

At the suggestion of another member here, I used stall mat from TSC. You buy one barn stall mat and it will do the whole trailer (cut in strips). I also used it to protect the garage/driveway when loading by placing a strip down just before the trailer. It is grooved on the underside for venting and it is heavy enough to stay without fastening if needed.

That's what i was kind of leaning towards too........

I'll find a use for the belting

Archived