creating and uploading maps to this site

Blake G

Every now and then I am asked for suggestions about how to create and upload maps to this site. I would encourage members to share images about trail information in cases where it might be helpful to other members. An image is worth a thousand words.

DISCLAIMER: There are umpteen ways to do this, and no doubt some methods are quicker, better, easier, more straightforward, etc. But here's how I use Windows to get maps onto my Ontario Conditions messages. Some steps can be eliminated if you don't want to clean up the margins or add graphics to your image.

There is no great high tech mystery with any of the maps some of us have posted on the forum. There are many ways to do this, and quite likely better ways. I will describe the method I currently use with my Windows-based computers. There are quite a few steps, because several programs are involved. Once you do it a few times it becomes quite easy.

I start with the OFSC Interactive Trail Guide, which is based on Google Maps. When I have the ITG on my screen, I go to the BASE MAP tab near the top left, and select HYBRID (or whichever view best meets my needs).Then I zoom in to the best level. I press the F11 key to maximize the size of the ITG map. When I get the map sized and positioned to my liking, I press the PRINT SCREEN  button on my keyboard (on your keyboard the key may be labeled with some variation, such as PRNT SCRN, PRSC, etc.). When this key is pressed, the image from my screen is "captured" and ready to be pasted into another application. I press F11 again to regain my icons at the top and bottom of the screen.

I use "Paint" as the next application, because it is simple and exists on all my windows computers. Kind of a "lowest common denominator" choice. I open the "Paint" application and click the PASTE button near the top left. That pastes the "screen captured" image into Paint. In Paint, I grab the image and position it to my liking, then utilize the features that allow me to add text, circles, lines, boxes or whatever, each with the colour and thickness that I want. Paint isn't very sophisticated, but it may take some experimentation on your part if you haven't used it before. Paint has been around for years. There are more complex and more capable image alteration programs, but I use Paint because it comes with Windows and is good enough for what I need. When I have made the map to my satisfaction, I save the file in JPEG format.

Now that I have a JPEG file made with Paint, I find the file with Windows Explorer. I right click on the file, then select "open with" PHOTOS. Once the jpeg is opened by PHOTOS, I go to the top right and click the PENCIL icon to edit the photo. I then CROP the picture to remove any unwanted stuff from the edges of the image, then click the CHECK MARK icon in the top right to save the file. At this point I have the JPEG file the way I want it for uploading to Ontario Conditions.

Not sure if you have uploaded images to Ontario Conditions before, but this is the way I do it. When I decide to create my REPLY, I click the black "More Reply Options" rectangle at the bottom right. This will allow me to include the image with my typed reply. On the next screen I look to the bottom left where it says ATTACH FILES. I click BROWSE and then find my JPEG image on my computer and select it. Once I double click and select my JPEG image, I click the little black rectangle that says ATTACH THIS FILE. The little revolving arrows move while the file is being uploaded to Ontario Conditions. When the upload to the site has finished, I will see a thumbnail image of my JPEG at the left of the screen, and the file name to the right of the thumbnail. At this point I need to position my cursor at the appropriate point in my message, to set the position of the image within my message. When the cursor is in the appropriate place, I look to the far right of the thumbnail image and click ADD TO POST. Text something like this will appear within the message: (attachment = 13550 reroute midland.jpg) This means the image will appear when I click the small red ADD REPLY rectangle at the bottom of the screen.

Looking above I see a lot of steps. I hope I have given you useful information. As I said, once you do it a few times it becomes very easy. For further clarification and variations, wait for Viper700's posts. LOL (Just keeping him on his toes.)

Good Post!

IPad/iPhone is fast for screen shots. Just take a screen shot by pushing both buttons which will be added to your Photos and then Use Other a reply Options as noted below and choose the screen shot photo from your Library and then Attach this File, no more than 5 seconds.

post-21132-0-46957200-1453694016_thumb.png

I use the Google Chrome App Extension called Snipping Tool. Since 99% of my online time is on Chrome, this works ... Snipping tool is in the toolbar, when I want a clip of a map (or whatever web page) I just click on the app and choose to Snip a Rectangular form, make the box, it shows you the image you've selected.  Save the file as .jpg and just select it when needed.

IPad/iPhone is fast for screen shots. Just take a screen shot by pushing both buttons which will be added to your Photos and then Use Other a reply Options as noted below and choose the screen shot photo from your Library and then Attach this File, no more than 5 seconds.

Agreed. It's quick with a Samsung phone using Android too.

If you want to clean away stuff from the margins or add information it will take a little longer.

You can do Snipit with windows as well. When you are on the window you want click Snipit, drag your mouse to create a box around the portion youu want and when you let go of the mosue button it creates the snipit. Now do a Save As, select a file name and file type usually jpg and your done. Then import like Blake ddescribed

Archived