Madoc to Bancroft Ride March 22

sledjunk

The morning was bright and brisk when we dropped at the Madoc Co-op (after asking permission, of course). I have it on good authority that this is THE place in Madoc to pick up chicks!! I think Moosifer even got some beaver shots that he may post.

DSCN0014.jpg

The trails were hard and smooth but had marginal loose snow for cooling. We took E212 to E106 and detoured to Eldorado for fuel. We then headed north on E106 to E The snow conditions had changes and were excellent. At Gilmour, we stopped to take a few photos.

Moosifer stepped off the trail to ... never mind why... but found the snow a little deep.

DSCN0015.jpg

DSCN0016.jpg

DSCN0017.jpg

DSCN0018.jpg

We headed further North on E and then B106E until we came across this unlabelled outhouse. Can't leave it like that, now can we?

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0021.jpg

That rectified, we took a few more pictures of the excellent conditions. The trails to this point were very smooth and fast. (easily the posted speed limit :D:D:D )

DSCN0022.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN0025.jpg

A little further along, another undecorated Porta Potty gets home improvements,

DSCN0026.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg

DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0030.jpg

We then headed into Bancroft for a quick bite at the Pine Star Esso and fuel and then headed back south. As Moosifer and I are also involved with the Rally of the Tall Pines in this area in November, we had to take a couple of pictures at an intersection of one of the stage roads and the trail.

DSCN0031.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

We continued South on B106E to 30 to head East along Egan Creek Road to the area where logging is ongoing. The trail detours South and then further East but I did not note the trail numbers. Even though we were not on TOPS trails, the conditions were excellent with indications of recent grooming. These were some of the best conditions we have ridden this year.

We continued East to Mayo Lake Road and followed it to Weslemkoon Lake

DSCN0034.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0036.jpg

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0041.jpg

DSCN0042.jpg

DSCN0043.jpg

DSCN0044.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

We then crossed the lakes and continued along 40 to MP1004 South. 1004 ended at the E trail where the road had been plowed to the dirt. We decided to continue a little along the side of the road on the dirt and ice. About 500 meters along, the trail veered off the side of the road and conditions were excellent again.

DSCN0046.jpg

DSCN0047.jpg

DSCN0048.jpg

DSCN0049.jpg

DSCN0050.jpg

We followed E back to B106E and then headed to Trudy's for fuel and then back South to Madoc.

All in all, these conditions were to die for. The trails near Madoc will probably be toast after this weekend because there is a lot of flowing water along the edges and signs of snow erosion. However, from about Gilmour north, I would think that we should be good to go for at least next weekend if not one more, especially if the temps stay cold with little or no rain.

I will add the map of our route once it is finished generating.

Thanks SledJunk. I hope to be up to Cardiff this coming weekend, and from your picks it looks like it should be good to go.

PS I guess you need more stickers. 8-)

PPS any tracks ;)

Thanks SledJunk. I hope to be up to Cardiff this coming weekend, and from your picks it looks like it should be good to go.

PS I guess you need more stickers. 8-)

PPS any tracks ;)

Yes, I am all out of stickers. I will send you all tracks for this year shortly.

Looks like you guys had a great ride ... sorry I couldn't make it! :cry::banghead:

Maybe we can try again in a couple weeks if the trails hold up! :wavey:

How was the trail between Madoc & E106 for markings? I've seen where it turns off the railbed & rode past the Co-op up past the Hwy 7 crossing last Monday.

How was the trail between Madoc & E106 for markings? I've seen where it turns off the railbed & rode past the Co-op up past the Hwy 7 crossing last Monday.

The only place that was a little questionable was the road section just before E106. We rode it in reverse on Friday so it was not problem. This section bumps along the ditch for about 500 m or so. Other than that, I found this section well signed. The water crossing just south of Hwy 7 had firmed up in the cold Friday night but by the time we returned Saturday night was pretty wet. This is one of the areas that I don't think the trails will hold up much longer.

From E106, though, the trails are in great shape.

Here is the map of the trip.

8cb70a13.gif

Be carefull what you put your stickes on. The 1 you put on the outhouse door by the L'Amable turn was peeling off the plywood on Sunday when I stopped there. I moved it to the plastic covered map. I think it'll stay on that.

Thanks for the update on the trail update east of Eldorado. I haven't been thru there when the road has been snow covered, so I've never ridden it. The section from Madoc south was in good shape the night I ran it a week ago.

Be carefull what you put your stickes on. The 1 you put on the outhouse door by the L'Amable turn was peeling off the plywood on Sunday when I stopped there. I moved it to the plastic covered map. I think it'll stay on that.

Thanks for the update on the trail update east of Eldorado. I haven't been thru there when the road has been snow covered, so I've never ridden it. The section from Madoc south was in good shape the night I ran it a week ago.

Thanks revrnd!! :lol:

My buddy and i left from the gilmour hotel on friday and went up Baptiste lake to lake st. peter and then back down. Like you said awesome riding, freshly groomed trails the only down fall was early in the morning everything was froze up leaving no lube for the slidders.

also seen the carcass of a dead deer on baptiste lake - the birds were having a feast!

hope to go again this weekend

On Sunday I saw about half of a fisher on the 168 near Purdy Lake. I have no idea what would have killed it, they're pretty resilient.

Here's a few more pics from the ride that I finally transfered to my computer.

d2791299.jpg

9f7dfd71.jpg

e9089fd1.jpg

f8922c0b.jpg

9be240ce.jpg

9bf0c607.jpg

dc257c56.jpg

d4e0a43a.jpg

8cbb0ce6.jpg

119f35f0.jpg

966169d7.jpg

Archived