Rant of the Day - Township Roads

revrnd

Kudos to the plow operators in Severn township are in order then. The C-trail along Whites Falls road/Joe King's rd still has a foot and a half of base (95% of the stretch) wide enough for 2 sled to pass slowly. Similar exists on the C-trail over the 400 a little farther north giving great access to some good riding and Georgian Bay for our area.

Lets hope the groomer gets out during today's cold temps to smooth it out.

Our club has an excellent relationship with the township. The section of trail you are referring to (Joe Kings Rd.) is Georgian Bay Township. They are strong partners of the club. The C trail over the 400 that you refer to is the MTO who can be difficult to work with however when the bridge was built across the 400 it was intentionally designed to accomodate sled traffic on the side of the bridge by MTO in working with the snowmobile club. Much the same as the tunnel that runs from C under hwy 400 to Honey Harbour. Baxter Snowriders have been fortunate in working hand in hand with these two groups

Our club has an excellent relationship with the township. The section of trail you are referring to (Joe Kings Rd.) is Georgian Bay Township. They are strong partners of the club. The C trail over the 400 that you refer to is the MTO who can be difficult to work with however when the bridge was built across the 400 it was intentionally designed to accomodate sled traffic on the side of the bridge by MTO in working with the snowmobile club. Much the same as the tunnel that runs from C under hwy 400 to Honey Harbour. Baxter Snowriders have been fortunate in working hand in hand with these two groups

It certainly doesnt hurt that some of town town council are sledders too. We had an agreement this year after last years fiasco with too much snow and plowing into the trail. That once we laid in the trail all 3 parties will work diligently to maintain in favor of all parties.

Seems to have worked quite well this year.

I believe this is more prevalent this year due to the lack of snow earlier in the season.

Municipalities and Townships need to use up that snow clearing budget and max it out otherwise they take a hit on budgets the following year.

Yup, very true, and in industry (forestry tonnage quotas) as much as in municipalities.

I cannot see why they cannot plow the shoulder bare and at least leave the ditch alone.

As our plow driver / groomer driver / sledder above mentions, helps prevent the buildup of banks near the road, and reduces drifting when the winds pick up.  I can attest to this, living along Hwy 11 up North.  When the North wind blows after a recent snow, the high banks promote drifting onto the highway, whereas the south side gets very little snow drift up from a South wind, after a similar snowstorm.  

It certainly doesnt hurt that some of town town council are sledders too. We had an agreement this year after last years fiasco with too much snow and plowing into the trail. That once we laid in the trail all 3 parties will work diligently to maintain in favor of all parties.

Seems to have worked quite well this year.

Absolutely... including the mayor. I consider us fortunate to have such a great community to work with. The local government, the Chamber of Commerce and the Baxter ATV Riders all work together toward the betterment of the community.

Hey they salt and sand my dead end road all winter! Never used to but in today's world Liability rules and ice must be conquered! Winds up being a Km of gravel to the trail! Not bad going out in the morning. Real bad after the sun gets to it all day!

Hey they salt and sand my dead end road all winter! Never used to but in today's world Liability rules and ice must be conquered!

And people wonder why their taxes go up. I wonder how much is "job protection"? Two municipalities (3 townships) merged in our area. Previously the 2 had probably 2 half tons. We counted them out a few weeks ago & now they have 8. Every other employee has a truck so it would seem. 

We have been pissed off too with the ignorant plow operators over the years. When they do this crap ( in bold) it should be documented and the municipality should be put on notice THEY will be involved in a lawsuit if a snowmobiler gets hurt or has any damage to their machine.  This whole concept of working with your municipality for everyone's benefit is a bit of a delusion.  Good Rant and long overdo.

One plow driver in our area one of our trails runs about 2km along a dead end dirt rd and one of the plow operators puts the wing plow down and. Shears the trail in half leaving a straight edge 3ft drop to the road and purposely leaves massive ice chunks and snow on the trail now making barely wide enough for one sled !!! Asshat he is for sure !!!!! And like I said it's a dead end road with a few houses on it and scrapes it right too the bone !!!!! Pisses us off big time and I find I see more plowed rds every year and it seems they do more and more to discourage trails along the road all the time !!!!! Grrrrrrrrr :(((

Below is an excerpt from the Occupiers' Liability Act. If I read this correctly (Section 4.1 an occupier can be repsonsible if they knowlingly or negligently create a hazard on the property. So if a plow operator cretaes a hazard on a trail that they know is there, can they be held liable for damages or injuries?

Occupier’s duty

3. (1) An occupier of premises owes a duty to take such care as in all the circumstances of the case is reasonable to see that persons entering on the premises, and the property brought on the premises by those persons are reasonably safe while on the premises.

Idem

(2) The duty of care provided for in subsection (1) applies whether the danger is caused by the condition of the premises or by an activity carried on on the premises.

Idem

(3) The duty of care provided for in subsection (1) applies except in so far as the occupier of premises is free to and does restrict, modify or exclude the occupier’s duty. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.2, s. 3.

Risks willingly assumed

4. (1) The duty of care provided for in subsection 3 (1) does not apply in respect of risks willingly assumed by the person who enters on the premises, but in that case the occupier owes a duty to the person to not create a danger with the deliberate intent of doing harm or damage to the person or his or her property and to not act with reckless disregard of the presence of the person or his or her property.

And people wonder why their taxes go up. I wonder how much is "job protection"? Two municipalities (3 townships) merged in our area. Previously the 2 had probably 2 half tons. We counted them out a few weeks ago & now they have 8. Every other employee has a truck so it would seem. 

Spend the budget or not get the same the next year.... then the next year rolls around and they increase last years budget since they spent all of it last year

Repeat the cycle....

At least in our township two guys share a full size pickup. Two guys going around emptying the garbage cans outside places like the library, tourism office etc. One lifts the lid, the other pulls out the bag and ties it shut then sets it on the ground. The guy that lifted the lid pickups the bag and walks it to the truck while the guy that took the bag out puts a new one in..... very efficient.

Archived