Orillia Local Knowledge

whiskywizard

My son and I and GrizzlyGriff are thinking about a ride Thursday in the Orillia area. We could use some input from locals and travelling experts. 

• Is there anywhere to park North or West of Orillia where we can get onto a trail near B or B105C?
  • Lake Couchiching is still red, so I suspect it isn't staked.  That doesn't necessarily mean it's unsafe. Are you local sledders crossing Couch safely now?
  • The B trail link from Chiefs Island to B105C looks like a rail trail. Sometimes that means you can use it legally even though it's red. Is that the case here?
  • How bad are those yellow trails between Orillia, Midland and Wasaga? 
  • Any other advice so we can put together 200-300km on a day trip?

Any and all feedback from those-in-the-know is MOST welcome.   :-D

The trails in that area are good but if we don't get more snow they might be beaten to a pulp by the weekend. If you stay off B and C you will be okay if no snow.

i heard people are out on Couch but I am not suggesting going out there.

You can ride Red trails legally anytime, might not be good idea but certainly not illegal

No idea where to park near Orillia

You can ride Red trails legally anytime, might not be good idea but certainly not illegal

I think you are wrong and that you could be charged with trespass for riding on a closed trail.

Red means closed, and you can be charged with trespassing if caught riding on them. There's a reason it's red...

My son and I and GrizzlyGriff are thinking about a ride Thursday in the Orillia area. We could use some input from locals and travelling experts.

• Is there anywhere to park North or West of Orillia where we can get onto a trail near B or B105C?
  • Lake Couchiching is still red, so I suspect it isn't staked. That doesn't necessarily mean it's unsafe. Are you local sledders crossing Couch safely now?
  • The B trail link from Chiefs Island to B105C looks like a rail trail. Sometimes that means you can use it legally even though it's red. Is that the case here?
Any and all feedback from those-in-the-know is MOST welcome. :-D

You can park in Coldwater at the Hockey arena which backs onto B105C..

Plenty of staging area which is encouraged with signage saying sleds are welcome.

Free parking......

There is a great spot to park were trail b105c starts at the B trail on Division road E...close to the lake. Its big and backs onto the trail.

Thanks for the quick replies guys - much appreciated.

I understand fully that almost always, a red trail that is on private property = trespassing. There are exceptions, like public land/lakes which in some cases are legally accessible even when marked red, because the OFSC can't fully control them.  The Victoria Rail Trail in Kawartha Lakes is one of those, as I so humbly learned right here on OC.   :blush:

When I asked about Lake Couchiching and its connector to B105C, I was really asking if it's one of those exceptions where it might be red simply because the local club hasn't looked at it, but not on private property. If we could legitimately run that connector link, and safely cross the lake, it opens up some better options. 

There is a great spot to park were trail b105c starts at the B trail on Division road E...close to the lake. Its big and backs onto the trail.

Great description apeXMAN - I found it easily (I think).  Is this it?

11iz3hs.png

You can park in Coldwater at the Hockey arena which backs onto B105C..

Plenty of staging area which is encouraged with signage saying sleds are welcome.

Free parking......

Great suggestion Yukon. Thank you. 

e3wat.png

My son and I and GrizzlyGriff are thinking about a ride Thursday in the Orillia area. We could use some input from locals and travelling experts.

• Lake Couchiching is still red, so I suspect it isn't staked. That doesn't necessarily mean it's unsafe. Are you local sledders crossing Couch safely now?
Any and all feedback from those-in-the-know is MOST welcome. :-D

The Division road parking lot is the best for you to chose. We have a lot of people park there. A few in there today.

We have not staked Couch yet. We plan on drilling some test holes on Monday. Locals are running it but I don't encourage it.

The B trail link to B105C and the lake is closed because we don't want people straying onto the lake. We have groomed that section several times.

Our trails are in alright condition. Certainly could use another 20-30cm of snow!! We have been grooming daily so far. I was out yesterday and they are all easily passable. The B105C is being groomed first thing tomorrow morning so watch out for the groomer.

I believe midland won't be too bad. Lots of traffic there last weekend. Haven't talked to the wasaga guys since last week so not sure how they are doing.

Enjoy your ride!

The Division road parking lot is the best for you to chose. We have a lot of people park there. A few in there today.

We have not staked Couch yet. We plan on drilling some test holes on Monday. Locals are running it but I don't encourage it.

The B trail link to B105C and the lake is closed because we don't want people straying onto the lake. We have groomed that section several times.

Our trails are in alright condition. Certainly could use another 20-30cm of snow!! We have been grooming daily so far. I was out yesterday and they are all easily passable. The B105C is being groomed first thing tomorrow morning so watch out for the groomer.

I believe midland won't be too bad. Lots of traffic there last weekend. Haven't talked to the wasaga guys since last week so not sure how they are doing.

Enjoy your ride!

Thank you Oro Guy; good info. 

Thanks for all your help, guys - we had a great ride today. Orillia to Waubaushene, Midland, Penetang, Wasaga and back. Conditions ranged from excellent to pretty tough. On average, it was great day.  Some trails around Wasaga Beach must have had their snow painted on ;-) - sure could have used more - but I was very impressed with how well the grooming crews have done with the little snow they have to work with. 

Archived