New Trail in Dist 1

scrummage

You are wrong. The new trail sucks more money out of the entire system. They will get $70+ for the 50km = $3,500 + over $60 per hour to groom it. So 10 hours a week X say 8 weeks = 80 hours @ $60+ = over $5,000. So this new trail will take out over $8,000 from the system. Can you imagine if each club did this on their own?

This is $8,000 less funds that goes into the District equalization payments for the Province.

The only way a club should be able to add trails to the system without deleting the same amount is to get approval from the leaders of the OFSC, the Governors.

I'd love to know how you came up with those numbers. 50kms of trails cost $8000 a year to look after? Based on your math that means the 30,000plus Km's of trails in Ontario cost over 5 million a year to look after. I don't think we did that in permit sale's last year.

I'd love to know how you came up with those numbers. 50kms of trails cost $8000 a year to look after? Based on your math that means the 30,000plus Km's of trails in Ontario cost over 5 million a year to look after. I don't think we did that in permit sale's last year.

Provincial average per km of trail to maintain is around $405 . This equation includes, machine, op , fuel , insurance, signage etc.... We sold over 5 million in permit sales in the 2013/14 season....

For what its worth JMO. In this time of FFC new trails will be frowned upon due in part from losing a district and the fact TOPS trails should take priority... It's nice to have loops but!!!!!!!

You are wrong. The new trail sucks more money out of the entire system. They will get $70+ for the 50km = $3,500 + over $60 per hour to groom it. So 10 hours a week X say 8 weeks = 80 hours @ $60+ = over $5,000. So this new trail will take out over $8,000 from the system. Can you imagine if each club did this on their own? 

This is $8,000 less funds that goes into the District equalization payments for the Province.

The only way a club should be able to add trails to the system without deleting the same amount is to get approval from the leaders of the OFSC, the Governors.  

Doogirl, the new trail was approved by the Board of Govenors. The club followed the process as laid out in the OFSC bylaws so please dont insinuate that something was done inappropriately.

Where do you get your numbers?

The OFSC sold over $18,000,000 in permits.

Doogirl, the new trail was approved by the Board of Govenors. The club followed the process as laid out in the OFSC bylaws so please dont insinuate that something was done inappropriately.

Inappropriately? Haters will hate I guess..

Like I said this kind of attitude is what will be the undoing of our system.

Inappropriately? Haters will hate I guess..

Like I said this kind of attitude is what will be the undoing of our system.

Yes inappropriately. The inference in Doogirls post was that the club opened this new trail all on their own when in fact they did follow the approved process.

The comments were, "Can you imagine if each club did this on their own?" and "The only way a club should be able to add trails to the system without deleting the same amount is to get approval from the leaders of the OFSC, the Governors."

Like you, I get very tired of this North/South bashing all the time and maybe I am just sensitive to it. There are serious challenges that need to be solved in order for this sport to flourish and a collabrative approach is the only way to solve the problems.

The L&A Club put a lot of work into securing this trail. They partnered with the local municipalties and the Trans Canada Trail folks to secure snowmobile access. There was not a lot of permit money used to open this rail but there was some TDF funding involved. The trail is an abandoned rail bed and as such will be pretty easy to maintain and groom and is well within the clubs financial capacity. If you look at the trail map it creates a tremendous loop opportunity when the second phase is opened in 2015-16 (hopefully) for all riders who care to come and ride D-1. To take uniformed shots at the club/D-1 is not helpful in promoting a collabrative approach.

You are wrong. The new trail sucks more money out of the entire system. They will get $70+ for the 50km = $3,500 + over $60 per hour to groom it. So 10 hours a week X say 8 weeks = 80 hours @ $60+ = over $5,000. So this new trail will take out over $8,000 from the system. Can you imagine if each club did this on their own?

This is $8,000 less funds that goes into the District equalization payments for the Province.

The only way a club should be able to add trails to the system without deleting the same amount is to get approval from the leaders of the OFSC, the Governors.

A club must have permission of the trail committee in the past to make a new trail. Nowost likely fom the bog.

Thanks

Greg

Archived