Ice Caves

SNOHAWK

Hey folks

Does anyone here have information on the ice caves.

I've never been there and was wondering if they are worth the ride to see them next weekend (Jan 31)

Am I right to assume they are across Dewfish lake?

If so, is it frozen and passable?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

Sno

Hey sno,

We were there this past Thurs. Stayed at Sand lake for 4 days and rode beautiful, groomed trails every day. The caves are worth checking out for sure. They're only 12 klicks off the main trail. Don't know the lake name but it's the end of the trail so you can't miss it, & yes the lake is definitely rideable.

Be aware they're not really caves but a huge cliff overhang where a lot of runoff has frozen & hangs down so that you can walk under the ice. pretty neat! Some numbskulls had to break off some hanging ice, but hey, the overall site is spectacular. Definitely check it out. If it hadn't been so damn cold we would have stayed longer but once the gloves came off for pic taking, you were done. Just wanted back to the heated handlebars!

Enjoy! Wife's got the pics. I'll see if I can post some here soon.

Cheers...

If you're in the area...they're definitely worth the trip down that trail!!

Are you looking for the ice caves in the Kearney area?

If so, the trail to those was open and signed last weekend so I assume you can get to them, although I did not ride out to them.

I found this video on youtube of the ice caves so you can judge if they are worth the trip:

There is also a nice lookout on the Almaguin trail system that is worth visiting if you are in the area.  The trails to the ice caves and the lookout are well marked on the Almaguin map, and on the trails. Almaguin trail 305 also passes through a winter deer yard if that interests you.

The trails themselves are usually good, lots of winding bush trails.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks Fellas

I will take a run up there on Friday or Saturday

I appreciate the info.

Sno

Yes, Dewfish Lake. The lads took me there last winter. I wouldn't drive half way across the province just to see them, but well worth it if you're in the area. They are kind of cool looking, and a nice place to stop for a few minutes. Watch your footing; I didn't and landed on my butt.

post-22473-0-32886300-1390787750_thumb.jpg

The lookout was another good place to stop for a thermos of coffee. Probably best on a day not too cold.

post-22473-0-73643000-1390787802_thumb.jpg

I came back to view the full video this time.  Nice pics.

I'll be down that way visiting irREVerent mid Feb for a sled trip and will have a look.

Always worth the trip to the Ice Caves and the scenic look out. Years ago the Almaguin club used to have the annual club Barbeque at the ice caves. We actually had an OC meet there one year at the Barbeque. Anyone remember that? Rick I know you were there, Doonut was there, many others as well but names escape me right now.

We went there on Saturday, one of those places no matter how many times you seen them makes the ride in that much better.

Nunz

Archived