Tomiko lake

yamahas

Today I rode from north bay to Sudbury. When I got to Tomiko lake it did not apprear to be staked. Not knowing this lake, it not being staked, and visibility was extremely poor ( there was a crazy blizzard/blowing snow at the time) I decided it's best to be safe then sorry and turned back and took the long way around.

Just wanted to give you guys the heads up as the map shows it as limited. I figured this ment staked but very bumpy or other less then ideal conditions but still staked.

Maybe visibility was just so bad that I could not see the pickets?

The SW end of the lake is showing green though.

Today I rode from north bay to Sudbury. When I got to Tomiko lake it did not apprear to be staked. Not knowing this lake, it not being staked, and visibility was extremely poor ( there was a crazy blizzard/blowing snow at the time) I decided it's best to be safe then sorry and turned back and took the long way around.

Just wanted to give you guys the heads up as the map shows it as limited. I figured this ment staked but very bumpy or other less then ideal conditions but still staked.

Maybe visibility was just so bad that I could not see the pickets?

The SW end of the lake is showing green though.

It is staked at the west end,but was not at the big end last week. Lots of ice though and well traveled.

I would not want to run it in a storm though,it's a long way with no stakes!!

You are a smart man yamahas and you made the right decision. Low visibility on an unfamiliar lake can be very dangerous.

I remember riding across Tomiko a couple of years ago on our way back from Shining Tree via New Liskeard.  It was a beautiful blue sky day and when we got on the lake at the east end, the sun was just about to touch the horizon.  We sped across the lake saw the entire sunset as we travelled.  When we got off at the west end, the sun was completely gone....something I'll never forget.

Hey Yamahas, what's the trail like up through River Valley. I know its all railbed from Field to Sudbury nearly. Also is there lots of snow up there in that area. I usually spend a week around Field. Sounds like you had a good run though.

Hey Shawn,

The rail line has lot of snow. The whole area seems good for snow and conditions. The rail line was a bit bumpy but I would tell they had not had a chance to groom it yet after the snow.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived