HGR Goes Green

rockerdan

Wanted to post this since it seems that many times our updates dont show up on the interactive map for several days!

Mary lake trail is still closed but I will be giving my own update on our lake by saturday evening.  Yes there are tracks running across in Port and also from port to the north end of lake, Last i measured was 8" thick over a week ago however the "lake trail" does have a GATE so coming up from Baysville you will have to run thru Port sydney(road run thru town) at least to the port town dock/public beach.

Dan

-----------------------

As of Wednesday January 1st all of HGR trails on the west side of Mary Lake are AVAILABLE. On the east side trails 51, 52, 53, part of 54, and 55 are LIMITED AVAILABILITY with grooming operations underway. TOP D102B, D103B and D102/03B are groomed and AVAILABLE. Happy New Year from Team HGR!

* Please read condition description below Mary Lake: TOP Trail D103B across lake is UNAVAILABLE.

CLICK IMAGE BELOW TO ENLARGE.

post-23178-0-67881500-1388673350_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dan , great news , looking forward to hearing about ice conditions

Ditto for me Dan, love that run towards Dorset....Thanks for the updates

Does it ever make sense to run Stephenson Road 1 from Lone Pine Drive over to Fawn Lake, to get from Trail D to Trail 55?

Does it ever make sense to run Stephenson Road 1 from Lone Pine Drive over to Fawn Lake, to get from Trail D to Trail 55?

thats a great question....From the west side of hwy 11, across the hwy then down the hill, across the bridge(muskoka river) would probably often be decent as i believe that is still not winter maintained?  However after Balsam Chutes rd eastward on Steph road 1E you have approx 5km of road that is often salted.   Then when you get to Fawn Lake you either go right on fawn lake rd or left onto deer lake rd, or even go across fawn lake there are usually track across then you pickup trail 55 on the north side of loop.  But both of those roads can be salted too, usually a better bet going right onto fawn lake road taking the southern 55 section, then hooking into d103b to d102b to baysville ect.

I dont think anyone does this due to the poor road run conditions, but if you had a snowy day that would be a great shortcut coming up from Bracebridge to cut over to either baysville or deerhurst for sure.

Dan

Thanks, Dan.

Your response is very useful. I come from Gravenhurst, and can foresee taking this as a slightly shorter way to get to Baysville on those occasions when there is plenty of snow on the roads.

How do you think this type of road running would compare to the current requirement of road running through Port Sydnet to get to Baysville from D trail?

Thanks, Dan.

Your response is very useful. I come from Gravenhurst, and can foresee taking this as a slightly shorter way to get to Baysville on those occasions when there is plenty of snow on the roads.

How do you think this type of road running would compare to the current requirement of road running through Port Sydnet to get to Baysville from D trail?

That is another great question!....I guess for me i just always run the lake since I am at the north end, and dont bother with the gated trail until that is officially unlocked and ready.   

I think that is a tough comparison, cause the port sydney rd trail past the beach and town dock past the general store and across the bridge is a signed roadrun trail, and it is not nearly as long of a run as steph road would be.  I think if it were me I would run the HGR trail thru town before id run across hwy 11 ect. 

Honestly after these couple days of cold temps there should be tons of tracks on mary lake, I know we will run down to port from my end, and you could easily do that too....run from port to north end always staying on east shoreline 500ft or so offshore past my place at westpoint sands beach you will see our trail ..then continue to northeast shore brings you right to MBC up hood rd to trail 52.  The two rivers are at north end in middle, and south east corner, see maps and avoid both these area, remainder of mary lake there is no worries of moving water other then bubblers.

I also have a nice little shortcut onto lake of bays from our trails, gets us to dorset fast!

BTW i see OFSC got our trails upgraded to green to match our site...ready for the weekend!

We might pass you if you are out saturday....running from Mary lake to Gravenhurst!

Dan

Thanks again, Dan. I'll bet I'm not the only one who finds the information interesting and useful.

My buddy and I are planning to go out around 10 on Saturday, but not sure where we'll be running just yet. We normally start by nine, but apparently he has a bit of shopping to do. Something about replenishing his pantry after having his kids home for holidays. My prediction is that we will be going up the D from Gravenhurst to at least Port Sydney, so keep an eye open for my Arctic Tank and an 09 MXZ.

Hey Blake ,Have you run the 37 trail ? its were you turn right on D just before going to Pt Sydney , Its yellow now but usually no traffic and scenic , it will bring you back on D at the top , a really good run if there is traffic 

Thanks again, Dan. I'll bet I'm not the only one who finds the information interesting and useful.

My buddy and I are planning to go out around 10 on Saturday, but not sure where we'll be running just yet. We normally start by nine, but apparently he has a bit of shopping to do. Something about replenishing his pantry after having his kids home for holidays. My prediction is that we will be going up the D from Gravenhurst to at least Port Sydney, so keep an eye open for my Arctic Tank and an 09 MXZ.

sounds good...If my buddy gets out sat you will see TWO orange MXZs and his son has a new poo 600 indy.   My other riding partner leaves for his vacation tomorrow so it will just be us, and possibly a few other doos and poos if the other clan comes up for weekend....i have a feeling everyone will be out this weekend, making it rough by eve!

I assume we can park on ice infront of boston pizza by now?   will have to see i guess sat.

Dan

Hey Blake ,Have you run the 37 trail ? its were you turn right on D just before going to Pt Sydney , Its yellow now but usually no traffic and scenic , it will bring you back on D at the top , a really good run if there is traffic 

agree 37 is fun....but there seems to be alittle more road run in there then i recalled before.....many times we will run this when coming back north from BB as my buds live up at west end of vernon near 88.  Then i can run vernon to 88 to griffen lodge rd back to my lake and just cross lake to my place.

Dan

Haven't tried it yet, nor 36 going south of D. You're the second or third guy to mention that 37 is a nice trail, so I will definitely be giving it a try within the next week.

might take a quick spin up it tommorrow around noon if its a little warmer then , just to see how its holding up and check out the road part , its the way we usually take going north to avoid a bit or traffic on D 

agree 37 is fun....but there seems to be alittle more road run in there then i recalled before.....many times we will run this when coming back north from BB as my buds live up at west end of vernon near 88.  Then i can run vernon to 88 to griffen lodge rd back to my lake and just cross lake to my place.

Dan

I dropped in Port Sydney late last season and rode up D then down 88, up Lake Vernon, and back down D. That 88 was nice, saw some deer, and I was very impressed with the beauty of seeing Lake Vernon for the first time. Soon I want to try going up 50 (which was closed when I wanted to try it last year) and then up 88 and back down D and 37. After that I'm planning to better familiarize myself with the trails east of Port Sydney.

might take a quick spin up it tommorrow around noon if its a little warmer then , just to see how its holding up and check out the road part , its the way we usually take going north to avoid a bit or traffic on D 

I'd like to do that too, but I think the cold tomorrow will make me wait for my regular riding buddy who's available Saturday. I guess 37 will be getting a little more traffic this year, as it will be the route joining Bracebridge and Port Carling now that the old 33 and C102D are closed going west off D.

im sure you will find this out ,but trails east of pt sydney are groomed up nicely all the time and they take you in many directions , we go up to dwight for lunch and back , im only going up 37 for a run and back quickly to check it out ,its only 5 mins from my door ,should be cold by then

Well, please let us know how it's looking.

yes those 50s trails on HGR are nice and many with little sleds on them keeping them smooth.  I have been riding these trails since i was 12 yrs old when i used to run them on my dirtbike in summers..lol   now im 50 and they are better then ever.

Keep your eyes peeled for an orange doo, flag me down if ya see me!  

Let us know bout the rd running on 37 too, i am usually going down D or up D and dont do 37 much, but there used to be a great spot to eat/bar down that trail that is off 37.....you turn down 33 and where 33 crosses 141hwy was a spot to eat/drink.....now does anyone know if that is still there?  I think the area is called Raymond.

Dan

mary lake is looking better , i see there is a lot of tracks across it ,looks like everybody and his dog went over it lately ,NOT staked by the club though ,shouldnt be long for that im thinking , there calling for some snow to top off the great trails HGR have going already , I see me calling in 

with some illness late week  ;-) 

Let us know bout the rd running on 37 too, i am usually going down D or up D and dont do 37 much,

Dan

rockerdan, I went up 37 Saturday morning. The road running at the north end was not too bad as there was a fair bit of hard packed snow and ice under some light sanding. The trail was very bumpy and needed grooming though, from the 33 junction north until you veer East and get into the summer roads.

..... but there used to be a great spot to eat/bar down that trail that is off 37.....you turn down 33 and where 33 crosses 141hwy was a spot to eat/drink.....now does anyone know if that is still there? I think the area is called Raymond.

Dan

Forgotten it's previous name but the last 3 years or so it's been operating under the name "Jimmy Hatz".

Enjoy !

mary lake is looking better , i see there is a lot of tracks across it ,looks like everybody and his dog went over it lately ,NOT staked by the club though ,shouldnt be long for that im thinking , there calling for some snow to top off the great trails HGR have going already , I see me calling in 

with some illness late week  ;-) 

Ive been out riding all around HGR this weekend for the most part things are real nice!....

MM, you are 100% correct there are many many tracks on mary lake in port sydney, many sledders are using the d103b lake trail and as of friday were going "around" the gate where lake trail d103b crosses port sydney rd/muskoka 10.   The lake is ready IMO, I know HGR does not stake til they see over 10"-12" if ice.  As of now they plan to stake lake trail across mary lake next friday 10th.  Later on saturday I rode down there to see where guys were going around the gate, and by sat afternoon the groomer had gone down to lake and gate was OPEN!   So i believe the gate is now open even though no staked.  Great news for anyone coming this way cause the road run thru port is bad, and beware DO NOT RIDE SIDEWALKS as OPP tickets!!!   Ive seen it many times, and i still see tracks on sidewalks.

rockerdan, I went up 37 Saturday morning. The road running at the north end was not too bad as there was a fair bit of hard packed snow and ice under some light sanding. The trail was very bumpy and needed grooming though, from the 33 junction north until you veer East and get into the summer roads.

Thanks Blake very good to know....37 is a Snowmombers trail, and it usually is really nice as it gets little travel....Im sure it will get better with this nex blast of snow we are getting tonight....what a winter!

Forgotten it's previous name but the last 3 years or so it's been operating under the name "Jimmy Hatz".

Enjoy !

Yes yes!  thats it!....  on trail 33 crosses hwy141.   Now, is that open still?   used to be a great spot.

First off i have to say, losing the ultramar(smiths gulf for old timers) really sucks....I now will have to work baysville into my rides more now as they have closest fuel, its an esso and does have premium but their premium does contain ethanol unfortunately.   

Conditions i came across Yesterday(Saturday Jan 4th).

Ran up my lake(north end) from westpoint sands rd where I am to MBC Beach, Lake is firmed up, my old slush spots from last week are now frozen and you must be careful trying to avoid hitting the frozen slush, rough!!   otherwise lake felt great with not too much fresh snow depth ontop....

went up Hood rd to trail 52......Trail 52 is rarely used only by a handful of sledders around my area, it had been dragged/groomed and only one or two sleds down it before me, very hard frozen surface.  Got to 51,ran it down lynx lake rd,across brunel rd and down to the TEE(51/d102b) known as "Sh*tHous corners".  51 was incredible, i would give it a 9.5 out of 10....groomed nicely and firm.  

HGR had two major issues with the floods last spring on d102b, Going to the "left" or north of the outhouse about 1 to 2km down, they had a complete washout from last springs floods, so they had to plow the trail from brittania rd in to this washout, and fill it with large gravel/stones, so there is about 2 to 3 km of bad trail on d102b between the outhouse and brittania rd.

Going to the "right" or south of the outhouse only a few hundred feet you will see an awesome new bridge HGR built, its all done and gorgeous but again the needed to plow the trail into this area to get their trucks and lumber in there.  This part is not so bad, and only a few kms and your back heading south below the 53/d102b jct and its all nice again!  

The rest of d102b down across brunel and into baysville was all groomed and nice!  coming back up to port sydney d103b was also groomed nicely, So other then those two spots most of HGR is real nice, like midwinter conditions.  I am not sure why the 50s are yellow and d102b is green, IMO 50s could all be green and 102 should be yellow at those two bad areas.  Now this was yesterday, and with this snow coming tonight I would think those thin spots will get groomed up nicely and all should go green for next weekend, and we should have lake staked for next weekend too.

I have to give props to HGR, I spent an hour talking with several of the gang out on a sat brushing and signing, They really do it right, im proud to be a part of HGR.

What an incredible start to the winter....and BTW i absolutely love this new mxzX 800 etec..what a blast!

Dan

Thanks Dan for the updates , we took a tour down to baysville this morn , choppy in spots from some traffic , they had finished grooming the logging rds south of town ,they were mint but to bad about some of the logging down there ,good today but if they start sanding it that could be different, going to wait a few days for the clubs to groom up this new snow coming and head over to dwight for lunch 

Dan.   Haven't been up that way yet this winter - I think 33 is still 'red'.  But........ I did drop in a few months ago (August??)  They were open and the Taps were operating :right_on:

They have changed their hours and are not open as many days or as long each day as they used to be.  385-9321 is the number. 

Went Gravenhurst to Port Sydney this afternoon with Baysville as the goal. Tried the road route through Port Sydney and abandoned it by the time we got to the Community Hall. Pure pavement. We crossed the road to the lake right there and went out to speak with two ice fishermen standing beside a shack and a large two up snowmobile. They showed us that the ice was six inches clear, with about two more inches of whitish ice on top. We proceeded due north, across about three hundred metres of slushy ice, to intercept the as-yet-unstaked regular cross-lake trail. Once we hit the lake trail, which had lots of sled tracks, the trail had no slush across to the east side. The gate was open as the trail crossed Road 10, and we went straight to Baysville. The trail was quite bumpy pretty well all the way to Baysville, presumably due to weekend traffic.

On the way back, instead of retracing our route all the way through Port Sydney, we turned west on 55 along the south side of Fawn Lake. We then ran Stephenson 1 right across 11 until we caught D again at Lone Pine Drive. This five kilometre road run is definitely a great short cut, as long as there is enough snow on the road. Today there was.

We were a little surprised that D was still in pretty fair shape all the way back to Gravenhurst.

Looking forward to continued winter weather and improving trails.

Archived