HGR Goes Green

rockerdan

Thanks for update blake. When I was in Baysville yesterday am, first person on groomed trails.

Please keep in mind that nobody is guaranteeing the safety of Mary Lake ice at this time!

Thanks Dan for the updates , we took a tour down to baysville this morn , choppy in spots from some traffic , they had finished grooming the logging rds south of town ,they were mint but to bad about some of the logging down there ,good today but if they start sanding it that could be different, going to wait a few days for the clubs to groom up this new snow coming and head over to dwight for lunch 

The group of buds from my area kept going south of Baysville(I had to come back unfortunately) Saturday, running down 102 to B then over to the firehouse on kushog.  Apparently it was all really decent except for a small few sections. Love that section!   With this new snow we got last night im betting everything will go green this week after things get groomed up!   Let me know if you head to dwight!

Dan.   Haven't been up that way yet this winter - I think 33 is still 'red'.  But........ I did drop in a few months ago (August??)  They were open and the Taps were operating :right_on:

They have changed their hours and are not open as many days or as long each day as they used to be.  385-9321 is the number. 

Thanks again for this...I want to get over that way this season more and will call first to check hours...several yrs ago i recall going there quite abit and it was really nice.

Went Gravenhurst to Port Sydney this afternoon with Baysville as the goal. Tried the road route through Port Sydney and abandoned it by the time we got to the Community Hall. Pure pavement. We crossed the road to the lake right there and went out to speak with two ice fishermen standing beside a shack and a large two up snowmobile. They showed us that the ice was six inches clear, with about two more inches of whitish ice on top. We proceeded due north, across about three hundred metres of slushy ice, to intercept the as-yet-unstaked regular cross-lake trail. Once we hit the lake trail, which had lots of sled tracks, the trail had no slush across to the east side. The gate was open as the trail crossed Road 10, and we went straight to Baysville. The trail was quite bumpy pretty well all the way to Baysville, presumably due to weekend traffic.

On the way back, instead of retracing our route all the way through Port Sydney, we turned west on 55 along the south side of Fawn Lake. We then ran Stephenson 1 right across 11 until we caught D again at Lone Pine Drive. This five kilometre road run is definitely a great short cut, as long as there is enough snow on the road. Today there was.

We were a little surprised that D was still in pretty fair shape all the way back to Gravenhurst.

Looking forward to continued winter weather and improving trails.

Thanks Blake!  Great info here.

On saturday Morning early mary lake had zero slush from those temps friday!   But by midday saturday with the milder temps anywhere that there was deeper snow on lake and not packed by sleds had turned to slush as you ran into, except where all the pounded down tracks are as you mentioned.   I know when the lake froze the north end where I am located was for nearly one week before port sydney end(shallower up north end) so that makes sense with the thickness down there being alittle less, but its nice to know at least 6" good ice below the white ice. Not too bad for early Jan.  

They had just opened the gate on saturday, must have been around noon-3pm or so sat.   Staking will be friday apparently.  Nice to know we dont have to run thru town, after community hall you still have quite alot of pavement to run, not too good ever.

HGR trails were jammed packed saturday, and they groomed them all on the east side of mary lake during the day, but still got a good pounding always hard to keep up on a weekend.

That is very cool that you ran the 55 fawn lake trail, that trail is rarely used and is a fun trail, great info on running steph rd 1 across to hwy 11, wonderful shortcut for sure and if conditions are good for roads is a great way to go!  Thanks for that!

On another note....the group who went down to the firehouse, returned back coming up to dorset via st noras and raven lakes..., and then after talking to the owner of shell station at dorset who said there were plenty of tracks on lake of bays....ran lake of bays from dorset up and over the ramp, and over to south portage, and back into the HGR system on trail 54 then back on 102 and down 51 to 52 back here.   I was shocked that anyone was running lake of bays already, but apparently they are.....not sure how thick it is so beware anyone considering it.  Just incredible to think we have midwinter conditions already and its only first week of Jan.  What a year!

Dan

Thanks, Dan. You're helping make the "east of Mary lake" area more familiar.

I hope to get out alot more this week probably wed and definitely friday and sat....

As promised staking will happen friday, and today ALL OF HGR went green(click attached pic below) with the new snow, i had a fresh 9-10 inches in my driveway when snowblowing today!

Dan

post-23178-0-78677700-1389053187_thumb.jpg

Things are going to Rock at the end of the week after things are all groomed up, playing hookey thurs and fri i hope

Archived