ZRTKAT & CREW started booking our reservations

zrtkat

is it possible to make shining tree out of Elliot Lake in 1 days ride ????????????

might be too big of a day for ZRTKAT

Anything is possible but that is a long haul in a day. I like those types of challenges but even I would pass on that idea. If you know the trails by heart and live riding those trails then yes it can be done. But for sleeders like me that rely on signs, trail marker, ect. then there is to many things to go wrong and chew up valuable time. The trail is somewhat slow heading north out of Sudbury. Powerline if I'm not mistaken. I did this loop last year but never made it to Quebec though.

We staged out of Echo Bay and stayed at Espanola for the night. We rode sleds from 10am until after dark. Nothing fast about those trails.

I did a day to day ride report in this section last year and maybe there is some info from those reports that might be helpful.

I think it's about 250 miles from Elliot Lake to Shining Tree.  Can be slow going until you get past Capreol.  We went from French River to Blind River once, it was 330+ miles, the "D" portion of the trip was slow.  Stayed at and started from the Massey Motel once, nice people, it was clean and a nice restaurant just a short walk from there.  The trail, as I recall is right across the street next to the railroad tracks.

Good Luck

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's about 250 miles from Elliot Lake to Shining Tree.  Can be slow going until you get past Capreol.  We went from French River to Blind River once, it was 330+ miles, the "D" portion of the trip was slow.  Stayed at and started from the Massey Motel once, nice people, it was clean and a nice restaurant just a short walk from there.  The trail, as I recall is right across the street next to the railroad tracks.

Good Luck

thanks for the information ,still waiting to see how the trails are opening in that area, might just take a extra day to get to New liskeard break in the new sleds , enjoy the trails in that area, 250 miles is a long day when you are not familiar with the trails in that area.

Also we have rode to Elliot lake from the soo cannot remember what trails we took but we did not go to black creek then to Elliot lake ,we took another trail there

is only one trail available to Elliot lake from the soo ???

will have to check the map.

ALSO ZRTKATS TRAILER IS FINISHED HAVE TO GO PICK IT UP IN ELKART INDIANA THIS WEEK :icon_clapclap:

Getting ready for our 2 weeks of riding in Ontario/Quebec :icon_clapclap:

zrtkat&crew

When we crossed over into the Soo we headed east about 20 min. and staged out of Echo Bay. There is a restaurant on the right (southwest?) side of hwy 17B. The owner said it was not a problem and we could leave our truck and trailer at his restaurant. He has a nice size parking lot and access to the trail system is right there in front. Can not remember the name of his business, but if your heading towards Chapleau or Sudbury than this is a good place to start .

When we crossed over into the Soo we headed east about 20 min. and staged out of Echo Bay. There is a restaurant on the right (southwest?) side of hwy 17B. The owner said it was not a problem and we could leave our truck and trailer at his restaurant. He has a nice size parking lot and access to the trail system is right there in front. Can not remember the name of his business, but if your heading towards Chapleau or Sudbury than this is a good place to start .

Shivesy

thanks for the information , the last time we started in the soo we stayed at the water tower inn ,left our truck/trailer there no problems  we like to stay overnight before we leave because we have a 10 hr drive to get there. We are hoping to start at the soo will see how the trail system is opening up .

zrtkat

thanks for the information ,still waiting to see how the trails are opening in that area, might just take a extra day to get to New liskeard break in the new sleds , enjoy the trails in that area, 250 miles is a long day when you are not familiar with the trails in that area.

Also we have rode to Elliot lake from the soo cannot remember what trails we took but we did not go to black creek then to Elliot lake ,we took another trail there

is only one trail available to Elliot lake from the soo ???

will have to check the map.

ALSO ZRTKATS TRAILER IS FINISHED HAVE TO GO PICK IT UP IN ELKART INDIANA THIS WEEK :icon_clapclap:

Getting ready for our 2 weeks of riding in Ontario/Quebec :icon_clapclap:

zrtkat&crew

There are three routes you can take to the east.  If you run through Searchmont or start there, you should run the new trail D201F (look on the Soo trailblazers website under maps) over to Black Creek/Aubrey Falls.  If you stay on the side of the loop to the east or start in Ehco Bay, D106 goes to Black Creek.  You could also drop down along the big lake and run east on D trail.  Once on the F Trail at Black Creek Outfitters (the gas staion you need to use) take the F to Elliot Lake.  No matter what you will go through Elliot Lake since all trails converge there now before going farther east. 

You can stage at Blueberry Hill Motel and campgrounds.  Look up "on Blueberry Hill" to find the website.  It is in Goulais River Valley and where I usually start from.  Also The Driftwood in Searchmont has a nice trailer parking area. 

There are three routes you can take to the east.  If you run through Searchmont or start there, you should run the new trail D201F (look on the Soo trailblazers website under maps) over to Black Creek/Aubrey Falls.  If you stay on the side of the loop to the east or start in Ehco Bay, D106 goes to Black Creek.  You could also drop down along the big lake and run east on D trail.  Once on the F Trail at Black Creek Outfitters (the gas staion you need to use) take the F to Elliot Lake.  No matter what you will go through Elliot Lake since all trails converge there now before going farther east. 

You can stage at Blueberry Hill Motel and campgrounds.  Look up "on Blueberry Hill" to find the website.  It is in Goulais River Valley and where I usually start from.  Also The Driftwood in Searchmont has a nice trailer parking area. 

AC+YA

will check out the blueberry hill ,might be a better place to launch from then in town ,will they let you leave your truck/trailer for 10 days or more ?????

will email them and ask 

thanks again

zrtkat

AC+YA

will check out the blueberry hill ,might be a better place to launch from then in town ,will they let you leave your truck/trailer for 10 days or more ?????

will email them and ask 

thanks again

zrtkat

Ac+YA

she contacted me by Email we are staying there this winter to start our saddlebag trip as long as the weather stays good

thanks for the help, rooms look good also

zrtkat

her email

HI Greg,

We can accommodate you, staging and rooms. Just let me know which date for sure. Do you have trails permits already?

We are on Trail D.

Talk to you soon.

Diane

PS They are starting to groom the trails this week.... We got lots of snow in our area.... Yeah!

zrtkat needs help planning part of his trip :console: 

we have decided to take a extra day to get to New liskeard , 250 miles is a long day when you are not familiar with the trails in that area.

we have first day planned

Soo to Elliot Lake -1st day ( maybe we can go a little farther , cut down distance to shining tree )  ?????

Elliot lake - ?????? 2nd day  ( where would be a good place to stay)

????? to shining tree-3rd day (stay at 3 bears)

The mileage might be too short to add a extra day ???????

any suggestions would be appreciated not familiar with trails in that area

Thanks

zrtkat

ac/ya is up scouting for you/us now. he and his daughter left yesterday. i am sure he will chime in when he gets back. i spoke with him about mileages yesterday, for a weekend 2 day up and back.

blueberry hill to searchmont about 40 miles (no fuel in searchmont per sault trail blazers so, check in advance, and prepare for long miles no fuel)

searchmont to aubrey falls via the north route 105 miles

searchmont to aubrey falls via d106a (south route) about 95 miles

aubrey falls to elliot lake he said was about an hour and a half, no miles given.

i am guessing blueberry hill to elliot lake will be a good day ride, you might get in early but, it is the first day, new trails, new starting point, new sleds, you'll need a day to sort things and get in a rythem before taking on a 200+ mile day right off the bat.

unless they have fuel at searchmont, Lynne and I will not be able to start at blueberry hill. our mountain sleds do not have that kind of fuel range. more than likely we will have to start in searchmont or echo bay. Ski

ac/ya is up scouting for you/us now. he and his daughter left yesterday. i am sure he will chime in when he gets back. i spoke with him about mileages yesterday, for a weekend 2 day up and back.

blueberry hill to searchmont about 40 miles (no fuel in searchmont per sault trail blazers so, check in advance, and prepare for long miles no fuel)

searchmont to aubrey falls via the north route 105 miles

searchmont to aubrey falls via d106a (south route) about 95 miles

aubrey falls to elliot lake he said was about an hour and a half, no miles given.

i am guessing blueberry hill to elliot lake will be a good day ride, you might get in early but, it is the first day, new trails, new starting point, new sleds, you'll need a day to sort things and get in a rythem before taking on a 200+ mile day right off the bat.

unless they have fuel at searchmont, Lynne and I will not be able to start at blueberry hill. our mountain sleds do not have that kind of fuel range. more than likely we will have to start in searchmont or echo bay. Ski

Skidooboy

I will have to figure out my mileage also new sled,break in, not too good on fuel 

will be waiting for AC+YA rode reports 

thanks

Zrtkat

Grooming the F trail north to hwy 546 today met AC+YA on the trail, he told me that the trail from Black Creek had been groomed down to the logging operation. We had lots of trees down on our end AC+YA had to do a bit of backtracking and road running to get to Elliot last nite. Clear sailing now 13 hrs. to do what normally takes 8. Nice meeting up with someone from to OC. And a big thank you from the club for the donation.

Grooming the F trail north to hwy 546 today met AC+YA on the trail, he told me that the trail from Black Creek had been groomed down to the logging operation. We had lots of trees down on our end AC+YA had to do a bit of backtracking and road running to get to Elliot last nite. Clear sailing now 13 hrs. to do what normally takes 8. Nice meeting up with someone from to OC. And a big thank you from the club for the donation.

Thanks for the up-date Elliotgroomer

looking forward to riding your trails soon

zrtkat

Great to meet you also!  There was a lot of big trees we could not cut and had to jump on the road once for the big hill and another time for the trees.  Thanks for opening up the trail in time for our return to Searchmont.  The snow was really deep up by the big hill, but Paige and I made it and had to cut only one tree out of the trail just before the hill.  Can't wait to just fly up that hill this trip!  Usually about 1.5 hrs. was all of 4 hrs. that cold night.

The Elliot Lake Trails are always well taken care of and we plan to be there again this coming weekend.

Thanks for all the you and the club does for us!

Scott

Archived