Last ride of the season

ravinerat

The last weekend was my last run for this season. The trails were almost perfect and the days sunny. My buddy Campsledder and myslef camped out from Fri night to Sun afternoon. Some of the main "road" trails were getting thin by Sunday afternoon. We had a Wolf come through our camp site on Sat. while we were out exploring. He came back Sun morning and peed on all the trees we had peed on surrounding the tent. The tracks were so fresh we were probably drinking our morning coffee in the tent. All in all it was a great way to finish the season off.

RR

post-21019-0-05133500-1363608481_thumb.jpg

post-21019-0-18848400-1363608492_thumb.jpg

some more pics

post-21019-0-23085900-1363608744_thumb.jpg

post-21019-0-56789300-1363608752_thumb.jpg

post-21019-0-31987800-1363608764_thumb.jpg

3rd set.

post-21019-0-68152600-1363608888_thumb.jpg

post-21019-0-11423900-1363608916_thumb.jpg

post-21019-0-28430100-1363608927_thumb.jpg

post-21019-0-56236100-1363608939_thumb.jpg

post-21019-0-30363200-1363608954_thumb.jpg

great pics & report...very cool set up,wolf would scare me alittle...do you drive a grey tundra...think i seen you at lake access in orillia across from curling club...glad you got out for last trip...thx

Great write up and pics!!!

Great report! Thanks!

Where were you this trip RR? Looks like a nice spot!

Thanks for the replies guys. It was a great weekend from sun shine to temps to well everything. Really watched the snow melt on these sunny days. Fred we were just outside of Big Wind PP.

RR

Great report, RR.

Winter camping / sledding looks like a lot of fun. Hard work, but fun.

As for this comment ...

wolf would scare me a little...

.. I call bs. A wolf would scare you a lot. "Bill, check out that noise. I thought I heard something ..." :rolleyes:

__

Again, thanks for report. Who knew that you could carry all that gear in such a small load.

It's funny, I used to cold camp so no big tent no stove. I could barely fit all my gear into the toboggan. I have learnt to pack efficienly so to get everything in. It is getting better each trip. Alot of times we pull this load on a toboggan by hand. The snowmobile sure makes it more enjoyable.

RR

Great report, RR.

Winter camping / sledding looks like a lot of fun. Hard work, but fun.

As for this comment ...

.. I call bs. A wolf would scare you a lot. "Bill, check out that noise. I thought I heard something ..." :rolleyes:

__

Again, thanks for report. Who knew that you could carry all that gear in such a small load.

A good thing to rememer. You guys are traveling through some of the most remote area in the Province when your on your trips. The bush is full of Wolves, Coyotes and other things that go bump in the night. A few survival things should always be carried with you. One is fire starter. I carry flint and steel. Some carry matches. They need to be water proof. Also some kind of knife. I carry a small Swiss Army knife. Neither of these things take up much room and need to be carried on your person. Don't put them on your sled. If it goes down so does your survival gear. Sure would hate to break down miles back in the bush at dark and have to walk out.

A very good point about carrying essentials with you. I recall a debate about the SPOT unit (why tether it to your sled, when you may be immobile some distance away?).

Same thing goes for the items you mentioned.

Thanks again for the info.

if you see a wolf wearing 3 gloves let him know that ravine rat has it

thats funny...

Great report, RR.

As for this comment ...

__

lol...your right

I highly doubt it was a wolf. Print is too small. They normally don't travel alone, this time of year. Coyotes do though. I have seen wolf prints as big as the palm of your hand.

I hunt Coyotes and I agree that they are pretty big now. Seeing well over 60 lb one. There was a second set of tracks but they didn/'t come into the camp. They are finished breeding now and the area is known for it's Wolf population. We attempted to get him/them howling at night but no such luck. Here are some health Coyotes around Innisfil.

post-21019-0-44437700-1363719414_thumb.jpg

Here is another farm I hunt on. So out of curiosity why do you figure the prints are Coyote and not Wolf. I have tons of pics of prints of Wolves from a pack I followed two winters ago. I'm no expert and learn all the time from others. The pic with the glove. The paw is the size of my hand.

RRpost-21019-0-19265800-1363719656_thumb.jpg

wow more grnom oix rr

I thinks it's a cougar as well, Wenailem.

Wow what a great story ! It has been a while since I had to pull an all nighter in the bush.

Thank you for the advice regarding what to carry on longer more remote trips.its the basics that will keep you alive sometimes.

Archived