Prince Edward County Trails...

dweese

The lake effect machine is in high gear in the county, news says 15cm fell over night and 15cm more expected today.

Could mean open trails again by mid week.

County has over 200km of marked trails.

About 65km of rail bed and the rest are summer acces only road and farmers fields with some wooded areas, and no real water crossings to worry about. Trails run from the bay bridge in Belleville all the way to and in and around Sandbanks and out to Wapous, it's not flat land riding but not overly hilly.

Where there is snow, which usually there is a lot, because of lake effect (that's been limited last 2 years) trails are just as good as in the Bancroft area without the traffic. Because there is no link to the rest of the OFSC system, we are land locked being south of the 401 and Bay of Quinte.

There are a lot more trails than what the interactive guide shows as well. I've been working with the club to get a complete trail map, but the last 2 winters has kind of limited that.

It's well worth the trip.

Lake Effect machine is in high gear... Local Fire Chief is reporting 14inches of snow today alone for the Picton and Wellington areas. And the weather nitwits are saying 15cms more to come. Good thing I have a backup seld, since I've been to busy to fix my GSX, kids might not be overly happy mind you LOL.

http://www.quintenews.com/2013/02/40467/40467/

So the news at 6pm said over 50cms fell in the county since midnight. Winds of 80km/h plus topped most traffic in its tracks.

Club meeting Wesenday night might be able to sled to it, by the looks of things.

Trailer SOUTH to go riding, who'd a thunk it?

County has over 200km of marked trails.

About 65km of rail bed and the rest are summer acces only road and farmers fields with some wooded areas, and no real water crossings to worry about. Trails run from the bay bridge in Belleville all the way to and in and around Sandbanks and out to Wapous, it's not flat land riding but not overly hilly.

Where there is snow, which usually there is a lot, because of lake effect (that's been limited last 2 years) trails are just as good as in the Bancroft area without the traffic. Because there is no link to the rest of the OFSC system, we are land locked being south of the 401 and Bay of Quinte.

There are a lot more trails than what the interactive guide shows as well. I've been working with the club to get a complete trail map, but the last 2 winters has kind of limited that.

It's well worth the trip.

Is there a map available that shows all the trails? Always wanted to try the trails down there, but haven't made it yet!

Hey Dweese, how's things shaping up?

Showing Yellow, but realworld reports are best!

Hey Dave, think it would be possible to unload just south of Brighton where the trails start? Or would we have to trailer further south? Where does the good snow start and what trails would you recommend? Also, where is a good spot to park and unload?

Complete trail map, no there isn't one, the interactive guide is close and I've got more listed in the OC GPS map. But the trails are all very well marked so your not going to get lost.

I haven't been down there yet, but based on news reports and Facebook/weather network pictures they got hammered... My guess is they are listed as yellow because there has been so much snow, in such a short time the groomers haven't been able to get out on the trails. I might take a half day Wednesday as there is a club meeting that night and sled in.

As for parking... Leaving out of Brighton is not an option anymore. You use to park at one of the boat launchs and cross the bay than jump an old rail to the trails. Problem is they have built houses along the railbed so it's impassable now. And I'm not sure what the ice is like on the bay.

Snow cover is light just south of Belleville so the only real option is to park at the arena in Wellington as the trail run along the parking lot and ride from there. From hwy33 in Wellington turn on to Belleville st it's a few hundred yards up the street you can't miss it.

Thanks Dweese! Keep us updated!

Would like to see that part of the county on a sled!

Complete trail map, no there isn't one, the interactive guide is close and I've got more listed in the OC GPS map. But the trails are all very well marked so your not going to get lost.

I haven't been down there yet, but based on news reports and Facebook/weather network pictures they got hammered... My guess is they are listed as yellow because there has been so much snow, in such a short time the groomers haven't been able to get out on the trails. I might take a half day Wednesday as there is a club meeting that night and sled in.

As for parking... Leaving out of Brighton is not an option anymore. You use to park at one of the boat launchs and cross the bay than jump an old rail to the trails. Problem is they have built houses along the railbed so it's impassable now. And I'm not sure what the ice is like on the bay.

Snow cover is light just south of Belleville so the only real option is to park at the arena in Wellington as the trail run along the parking lot and ride from there. From hwy33 in Wellington turn on to Belleville st it's a few hundred yards up the street you can't miss it.

Is there any parking in Carrying Place?

Is there any parking in Carrying Place?

You can Park at the post office / baseball diamonds, but it's a 1.5km road run / Ditch bang to the trail head. It's open fields in spots along the road without fences in places so you could do it.

The biggest problem is, The City of Qunite West is not sled friendly, they shut down the rail beds from pressure from the tree huggers. You use to beable to park at the end of Shore Rd next to the Canal and take the rail bed from there. However local cops have been told to watch for sleds and ATV's on that part of the rail line and ticket or tow trucks with trailers.

With out snow in Belleville getting in is a pain in the ass. However Snow squal warnin was issued at 10am calling for 10-15 or more, plus the 15 they calling for on Thursday, by the weekend you be good to ride from Bellevile, just over the Bay Bridge, plaza with Petro Can on the right, go to the south end of the lot, on the weekend it will be full of trailers.

thanks for the info. So the trail that is shown going into Carrying Place is basically a road run? I take it that since it is an official trail, there would be no issues with the cops though?

Sounds like you may be looking at a paper map.

The paper map is wrong, there is no trail that goes in to Carrying Place that takes you to Brighton and north of the 401. That trail was a pipe dream, Brighton approved it and even sent crews to pick up the brush the club was pulling out, but in true fashion Quinte West sat on it until most of the work was ready to start and said maybe come back and see us in the spring and we'll discuss it than, that was about 10 years ago and they kept pushing it off until the next spring before the clubs just gave up. The trails finally came off the interactive guide this fall at the request of local riders (me for one) and one of the two local clubs. Paper map should be good next year.

But if you park at the post office / sports fields in Carrying Place at Hwy33 and County rd 64 the Trail starts 1.4km(google maps) south west at Fort Kente Rd near county rd 64 and Gardenville Rd.

From there your about a 35km rail bed ride in to the heart of the system where the trails break of from there.

If your going to drive to carrying place, Wellington is only 20mins more down the road, park at the arena, right next to the trail and only 8 or 9km of rail bed before you hit the main junction points to the south.

Thanks Dweese, we really appreciate the help!

Really looking forward to getting out there soon!

What about eats? Anyplace that you recommend?

Sounds like you may be looking at a paper map.

The paper map is wrong, there is no trail that goes in to Carrying Place that takes you to Brighton and north of the 401. That trail was a pipe dream, Brighton approved it and even sent crews to pick up the brush the club was pulling out, but in true fashion Quinte West sat on it until most of the work was ready to start and said maybe come back and see us in the spring and we'll discuss it than, that was about 10 years ago and they kept pushing it off until the next spring before the clubs just gave up. The trails finally came off the interactive guide this fall at the request of local riders (me for one) and one of the two local clubs. Paper map should be good next year.

But if you park at the post office / sports fields in Carrying Place at Hwy33 and County rd 64 the Trail starts 1.4km(google maps) south west at Fort Kente Rd near county rd 64 and Gardenville Rd.

From there your about a 35km rail bed ride in to the heart of the system where the trails break of from there.

If your going to drive to carrying place, Wellington is only 20mins more down the road, park at the arena, right next to the trail and only 8 or 9km of rail bed before you hit the main junction points to the south.

Fort Kent road was where I was thinking of but if it is that long of a rail trail, Wellington would be better for sure.

We tried to find the trail from the north side of the 401 a couple years ago because it was showing Green on the interactive map, only to find out it never existed! I was another who complained to get it off the map.

How much road running is there? I see trails shown on or beside the road but it is hard to tell if they are groomed beside the road or actually on the road.

Thanks Dweese, we really appreciate the help!

Really looking forward to getting out there soon!

What about eats? Anyplace that you recommend?

If there is snow to Belleville there is a pub/restaurant/sports bar in the lot where you would park that is good. Farther south, on the main rail line coming in to Picton from the west, there is the Warning House, signs on the trail can't miss it, and there is a mom and pop pizza bugger place that is good too on Trail #4a at County rd 10 & 1, you actually drive across their parking lot so very sled friendly.

Fort Kent road was where I was thinking of but if it is that long of a rail trail, Wellington would be better for sure.

We tried to find the trail from the north side of the 401 a couple years ago because it was showing Green on the interactive map, only to find out it never existed! I was another who complained to get it off the map.

How much road running is there? I see trails shown on or beside the road but it is hard to tell if they are groomed beside the road or actually on the road.

There is almost zero road running in the County, just a few spots in and around Picton other than that, its all groomed, even the ditches :D

The paper maps and the interactive guide is a mess for the trails, for anything south of the rail bed. Trail #1, but everything is well marked and its all loops so your going to end up back where you started.

The only trail side gas is in Piction at the No-Fils next to Canadian Tire, or at the lot in Belleville, there is fuel in Wellington but your going to have to run some roads to find it.

hi dweese have you been on the county trails yet and if so how are they ? have they been through them all with the groomer any info would be appreciated thank you

hi dweese have you been on the county trails yet and if so how are they ? have they been through them all with the groomer any info would be appreciated thank you

No not yet, I've seen pictures showing the amount of snow they got, and so I'm sure groomers will / have been out by the weekend.

Any updates Dweese?

Headin there this weekend.

It's 1:20pm and I'm standing in the club house, got about 50km so far today...

Trails are limited, tried to get to Sandbanks and the snow they got last weekend must have come in a tight band, as it was getting thin. Headed back towards the rail bed and in to Picton and snow cover is getting better.

I'll post up more later.

Just outside Picton..

EA4138DC-89BB-4F60-BDD2-644E842DA081-5323-0000049A43092398.jpg

So you can tell it was a snow squall that hit last week. In places there is feet of snow 5 mins down the trail there is only inches of snow.

It's a crapshoot right now depending on how much snow hits tonight and Friday.

that's too bad! Really looking forward to seeing the whole county. If they get the new snow, I wonder if they will get out grooming before Saturday morning?

Still no engine yet?? Going to get the kids a new etec and ride it yourself?? Great report. Crap shoot here too. Northbay to pettawa and back is the only good sledding I got in this season.

Archived