Trail permit question

Faceman

This is a question more directed at club volunteers or club exec types...I have sent the OFSC survey Framework for change out to our club members. If you are a active member of a club you should see get this survey from your club.

I received an interesting response tonight..What if the OFSC went to a "Rider permit", not a sled permit but one specifically for the rider. The member in questin, husband and wife, have two current sleds and 3 vintage and" can only ride two at any given time.

I know all about the enforcment end of things but right now we are trying to get the interest back.

Thoughts??

Even if all the sleds were properly insured and had valtags...you're taking money from the club. Instead of 5 passes they're only selling two. It's no different from the rider who carries his sticker in his pocket and if stopped claimed he just "didn't have time to put it on yet" when you check the vin against the sticker you find it's for a totally different sled!

So Fred. Think a little bit different and think about how this system can work in the future. Don't think in negative terms, think positive and how things can work. And after this winter things are going to be tougher.Actually they have seven vintage sleds, all fully trail worthy.

That's along the same line as multiple vehicles , I have 3 vehicles fully insured all the time yet I have to pay separate insurance on each one , but I can only drive one at a time . I asked them can't I just pay one premium and be covered for whatever one I'm driving that day , you know the answer they want the cash .

I'm not a fan of the classic permit to begin with. I'll explain why. I have a newer sled (2009)..pay full freight with a smile on my face for my permit. Yet.. Another sledder, on an older machine pays much less to ride the same trails as I do. The club still grooms kilometre for kilometre the same trails and has the same costs regardless of the type of sled utilizing the trail. With a rider permit..you're putting less into the club than with even a classic permit. If they have ten trail worthy sleds..all insured etc they can ride them all with only one rider pass or in your scenario two passes. I don't see how this is going to solve the great OFSC dilemma?

I think we need to see how the Family Day free pass pans out. See how many print off their pass for the day, and they become your number one target for passes the next year. We're also at a tipping point too. Buy a trail pass for $260.00 or risk the trespass fine of $255.00 plus court fees/ etc. many are risking that on the trails now. Our Trail Patrol last weekend sold a trail side pass to a young rider without a pass. It wasn't until we completed the sale and he applied his new pass to the sled that he also admitted the OPP just stopped him on the same trail five minutes earlier and fined him for trespassing. That was a costly day on the trails. Maybe the free pass gets expanded to a couple of days to capture more people?

I would even go as far as discount slightly a pass for that target group of people who participated in the free Family Day pass, assuming they buy a full season pass the next year. For the first year only. Incentive to get back into the sport.

Nope not a good idea

What if "joe" has 1 sled and has a wife and 2 teenage sons that all might ride it

Does that mean they buy 4 permits

If you can afford 2-3 or 4 sleds you can afford the extra permits

have a sled registration sticker for a lower amount like $50 and a trail permit sticker for a higher amount, that way if you own a sled that you will only ride on your own property or a vintage sled that you might only ride in an organized special event, where you may have to pay a minimal fee to the club sponsoring the ride for that day, so if your riding the trails you better have two stickers on your sled unless it's an oraganized ride by a club.

I can't see many households that have more selds than riders. I'm sure there are some, but in the grand scope of things it's going to be a very small percentage of people.

The only true real fix to the permit issue, is to big brother everyone's sleds with GPS and track the number of Kms you ride and in what club than bill you for it and send the clubs you rode in the money.

But that's going to cost millions, and the next thing you know speeding tickets would start showing up in the mail as well.

Lets say I've got 5 sleds (I don't, btw). 2 modern trail sleds, a workhorse and a coupla vintage. Myself, I'd get 3 passes. 2 stuck on the trail sleds, and the 3rd stuck to a thin piece of plexiglass with a velcro or a couple of clips or screws, to use on the vintage or WT units, as needed. I'd have 3 sleds registered, but never be using the other non-registered units. Then we could ride 3 sleds, invite a friend, partake in a vintage event, whatever. If the OFSC had a problem with that then I'd be very surprised, considering I'd have $650 invested into the system, and only ever ride 3 sleds at a time, maximum.

My brother had 3 different homemade utility trailers, and one plate, he'd swap the plate from one to the next with a hinge and a long pin.... I'd do the same, not to cheat the government, but to save from having 3 plates to lose and 3 ownerships to keep track of !

thats the best idea i have seen i run 3 sleds and would prefer 4 so my whole family can ride togeather. between the weather and cost of gas dont know if i can lay out this kind of money next year i should have stayed living in thunderbay

Why not have a multiple pass discount. Family pass. This would help everyone who has multiple sleds and keep people buying.

Every modern business has a multi product discount.

You beat me to the punch; had the same idea. 2 for the price of X or buy 1 and get X at Y. '07 Phazer sitting in the garage that has not seen a permit in 2 seasons and won't under the current structure.

lmao wish i could leave an 07 sitting

Why not have a multiple pass discount. Family pass. This would help everyone who has multiple sleds and keep people buying.

Every modern business has a multi product discount.

And maybe allow or give the option to pay the permits off over December, January and February instead of all at once? Only if you are buying multiple permits...3 or more....?? Easier to budget for, in particular around Christmas.

Why not have a system where u are charged 20 a month and off your CC and when done u get your permit Dec 1st?

Okay..I'll buy that...was thinking of how to keep money coming into the club consistently, when they need it. So you're saying defer the payments equally through the year and when December 1st rolls around you have in your hot hands your new shiny permit ready to go and you're all paid up.

I do that with my annual propane and several other things. Makes budgeting easier, and since its automatic it is easy to administer. The OFSC would need to find a credit card merchant that has low fees.

I could pay my permit monthly here but our laws are different

Like paying monthly insurance, you pay dec,jan,feb, and march for the months that sleds are pro rated

Then again why not stick $20-40 a paycheck into your savings account in the off season, thus come November you have the funds and the club gets the $$$ ASAP

that would work

that would work

You just add the fees to the monthly and the ofsc wouldn't be out of pocket.

The ofsc is going to have a big problem on its hands this fall. Lots will wait til january to see if the trails will open. This way they would negate that and get a lot of money you front. Just my 2 cents

Archived