Tell me about your pants.

schmied

I've got 2 out of 3 layers figured out. Traditional 'Long Johns' for the base and weatherproof Klim snow pants with a bib for the outer layer. I've been looking for something that I can wear as a middle layer that I can walk around in when I strip down. Anyone find a solution that isn't jeans or track pants?

I'm always too hot for another layer. Like you I wear the traditional long johns as a base on the average days..and on the really cold days I opt for a polar fleece type pant..then the outer bib style pants. I hate the feeling of being bound up in layers and losing the mobility. I have a $20.00 pair of Costco hiking pants with a liner that can be packed and slipped on if you are going to be walking around somewhere and don't want to be in your bib too long. Also great for an overnighter as they compress down and pack well and hardly wrinkle.

This is a loaded topic and I'm surprised STG hasn't been allover "your pants" yet!

I bought a couple of pairs of Scott pants a few years ago at Novi for a real cheap price. They are similar to what toddszr600 describes except they have reinforcing patches over the knees and drawstring cuffs. If it is cold, I will wear long underwear and I have some US Military surplus ones that are quite warm but not cotton.

I use track pants under the bibs and almost always find that works well. They are loose and flexible providing some air space. Only on the real cold days do I put the polar fleece long johns underneath

I'm with everyone else on the layers if required. First layer is a moisture wicking material, second layer is polar fleece pants then the bib pants, made for sledding, not snow or ski pants. The first layer keeps the skin dry, the polar fleece absorbs the moisture a lot like wool without the itch factor and the breathable sled pants protect from the wind while still allowing the moisture to vent through. I've had to remove the fleece layer on the trail 'cause it just got too hot. The nice thing about polar fleece is that you can shake the sweat right out of it before putting it away on the trail and it won't freeze up like wool. I forgot to do this the first time and ended up with a block of ice when it turned cold.

Honestly, I usually wear jeans under my sleding bibs and this works fine down to about -20C. If I'm on a work party, I'll layer up without the fleece to keep from getting too sweaty as the jeans do absorb moisture next to your skin.

go to a outdoor place (cabelas, gander mountain ect..) look for fleece wader pants. these are mid weight fleece pants, that fisherman and trappers wear under their neoprene waders to keep them from getting "clammy". they have stirrups that keep them at your feet instead of bunching up as you put them in a pant, boot or waders.

the stirrup thing is "kinda goofy" but, hey! it works!! also look for polar tech, columbia, klim (inferno), RU Outside, pants those all work well. something to think about if they dont fit tight at the ankle (elastic bands at the ankle, or stirrup style), they will ride up your legs and make you uncomfortable. Ski

Is that like a panty liner?

;-)

Judging from your avatar.....LOL

... i wear light misty mountain gear under a good quality sno suite, and i wear 20 yr old mitts and love it

How do you get your cute legs into 20 year old mitts? Ohhhhh, SHE'S 20 years old and her name is Mitts???

Fleece lounge/pyjama pants FTW

I bought some Win-Tec pants from WillBill last year.

I find them pretty good. They look like a pair of black jeans but are

fleece lined with some type of breathable material as the outer layer.

Archived