Gravenhurst ride report

WeBeSleddin

Went for a decent ride today. The trails kept up pretty nicely after last weeks rain. I guess the -21 overnight temps didn't hurt.

D trail from Gravenhurst to kahshe was 8/10. A little rough around the edges but for the most part pretty smooth. 3 was Roough and bumpy and quite "limited", turned around after about 2 minutes. Kahshe and three mile have firmed up quite nicely, not too much slush around to be found. Snowcrest made a decent attempt at grooming trail 4 the old fashioned way, sled with a light drag behind, as their small groomer is apparently out of commission. Also tried the B trail towards orillia. Pretty Rough (as usual). It seems as though we got 2-3 fresh cm of snow since the weekend. Need a little more to get back to the pre-rain smoothness.

Anyone know why they closed the B trail towards baysville? It seems like they are closing more and more trails. We should be opening up new trails, not closing really good ones!

WeBeSleddin

I also tried B last week coming from Baysville , where it comes onto Sno-Crest section it was toast :wtf: .I just got back from riding D-trail from Bracebridge to Port Sydney and back ,the base is froze big time and they are grooming but need a little more snow to fill in some low spots , going to ride from Bracebridge to Baysville tommorrow morning to see how the Happy Wanderers are fairing out after the rain

MM

We did the D trail from Gravenhurst to Port Sydney today.Still icy underneath but most of the ride was great and quite smooth.There is a really vertical hill just after the 37 junction heading north that some guys were stuck on. Fortunately the groomer made a trail to the right to bypass that climb which is good cause I don't think I'd have tried the climb on my two up.Cracked my windshield once trying to steer backwards down a hill.Anyway we stopped at Sydney's Pub and Grill had a great lunch and chat and headed back.Just a beauty day to be on the trails.Trailering back to Orillia the OPP had a speed trap going southbound side by the Muskoka Store area.FIVE chase cars.Glad we're in no particular hurry to get home.

Kerry

Trailering back to Orillia the OPP had a speed trap going southbound side by the Muskoka Store area.FIVE chase cars.Glad we're in no particular hurry to get home.

Kerry

Didn't get to Gravenhurst this weekend. Glad trails good.

Saw a new OPP approach to speeding on the way up north Sat.

On Hwy 400, one officer on bridge (Aurora Rd) facing southbound. 5 chase cars waiting 'downstream'.

Heads up. Soon..OPP will also bring back the 'ol Cessna airplane, retired 20 years ago.

Drive safe. Let someone else test the 140 km threshold.

Drive safe. Let someone else test the 140 km threshold.

Amen to that!

Kerry

On our way from Niagara to Barrie very early Saturday morning, we saw no less than 10 police cars with their lights flashing and people pulled over. Must be a blitz on.

OPP: this is the second weekend thay have been using whats known as the "Wolf Pack" routine. One lidar gun picks off the cars, 5 to 10 chasers sit waiting for the call. THey have been spotted on the South Kashe Lake road bridge nailin northbound cars too.

I left Ghurst at 5"30 and they were all headed back for shift change I guess. Cruised home with traffic at 120 to 130 :)

PS, anyone riding the Ghurst area, the big lake is in with 12 "reported" inches in the middle. (I asked an ice fisherman).

If the weather holds, maybe we can do another OC ride round the Muskoka Lkaes day in a week or so.

If the weather holds, maybe we can do another OC ride round the Muskoka Lkaes day in a week or so.

Funny ... I was going to ask if you were planning on doing another one of those rides this year.

Keep us posted!

PS, anyone riding the Ghurst area, the big lake is in with 12 "reported" inches in the middle. (I asked an ice fisherman).

Thanks for the update on Muskoka Lake doonut. I guess you were out on the ice when you stopped to ask the ice fisherman?

I've been hankering for the big lakes to open up. When they are good we always doa run up to a friends place near port carling.

WBS

I've been hankering for the big lakes to open up. WBS

:shock::shock:

Puddle jumping? :lol:

Just kidding - We've all been waiting to get out there.

Last year was cold, cold, cold. Not freeze, melt, freeze, melt. It just felt safer on the ice.

As one person mentioned, ice joining Midland, Penetang and Honey Harbour is choppy. Maybe with less traffic due to late freeze, Muskoka Lakes (once safely frozen) will be the route to take in late Feb.

Local knowledge is great - please keep us informed of ice thickness, tree lines, etc.

There is a really vertical hill just after the 37 junction heading north that some guys were stuck on. Fortunately the groomer made a trail to the right to bypass that climb which is good cause I don't think I'd have tried the climb on my two up.Cracked my windshield once trying to steer backwards down a hill.

I hear you on this one...one hill which is usually no problem on Cramadog trails was icy and three attempts up were okay...it was the not making it and going backwards what created some excitement....actually got better control pulling the reverse gear. Should think about studs I guess.

On the vehicle speed side, if you drive through Bala, you may or may not have noticed that they have extended the 50 km road speed limit right out past the Moon River turnoff and made the whole issue a Community Safety Zone. Sure going to be a fishing ground for the local OPP who won't even have to leave their parking lot.

:shock: IMO they could use that place for nuclear testing...same with Brechin....

There is a really vertical hill just after the 37 junction heading north that some guys were stuck on. Fortunately the groomer made a trail to the right to bypass that climb which is good cause I don't think I'd have tried the climb on my two up.Cracked my windshield once trying to steer backwards down a hill.

I hear you on this one...one hill which is usually no problem on Cramadog trails was icy and three attempts up were okay...it was the not making it and going backwards what created some excitement....actually got better control pulling the reverse gear. Should think about studs I guess.

On the vehicle speed side, if you drive through Bala, you may or may not have noticed that they have extended the 50 km road speed limit right out past the Moon River turnoff and made the whole issue a Community Safety Zone. Sure going to be a fishing ground for the local OPP who won't even have to leave their parking lot.

:shock:IMO they could use that place for nuclear testing...same with Brechin....

They don't need to Saturday night at the "key" has the same effect ! As for Brechin they did haven't you met the locals :rotflmao:

IMO they could use that place for nuclear testing...same with Brechin....

Please don't - they've got the best gasoline prices anywhere on the east side of the lakes between Toronto and Gravenhurst.

oh, and not a bad selection in the LCBO combo store either ;)

Archived