Ox Narrows Update

revrnd

I was by there today & the sign out front says closed for renos.

I stopped in there while we were waiting for Fred Q. The owner came out and talked to us for a while. (I think I posted this in another thread). He will be reopening, he just couldn't set a date due to the size of the project he was getting into. The way he spoke this place should be done the way it should be, not bandaide fixes. The guys name is Rick and he is from Port Perry (not Nutter).

I have been by there many times..figured he would be open for the Summer season??? You see the odd contractors van here and there, but I am not sure what the status is. I believe the new owners have signed on as members here too.

• 3 months later...

Was just past there again I the other day. Still see work knowing on. Water drilling rig was set up, but they are still not open for biz.

No indication of an opening date or anything? Maybe the new owners had a change in plans and are not re opening???

No..but the new owners were on here awhile ago saying they were planning to re open. That was somewhere last Winter, The Ox will never be quite the same. Mossy spoke to them in July and they were still planning on re opening. Must be a painful renovation.

No..but the new owners were on here awhile ago saying they were planning to re open. That was somewhere last Winter, The Ox will never be quite the same. Mossy spoke to them in July and they were still planning on re opening. Must be a painful renovation.

It wasn't July. It was the same day I rode with you.

It wasn't July. It was the same day I rode with you.

I stand corrected...your post was July...

Riding in July !! ?? Talk about a late ride ..... Where the heck were you guyz?

We were horse back riding with a guy named Jack. You could have helped him get off the horse!

Must be a painful renovation.

Those little cabins looked old when we had the cottage on Kushog in the 60s & 70s.

On a windy day the leaves would blow right through them!

It cannot be as it was no Dianne and Ronnie

Like a lot of places that "once were"...once they change hands they can be okay..but never the same.

WB..remember this place on Bosh?

post-19777-0-58710100-1351530609_thumb.jpg

The old Shell sign (out of picture) posted the last price for gas @ 0.38 cents per litre! You could get a haircut in the little room to the right of the doorway, pick up a quart of paint, some plumbing or electrical supplies enough to do a small repair and then buy a pie on the way out...and if you needed some frozen food for dinner they had that too.

Like a lot of places that "once were"...once they change hands they can be okay..but never the same.

WB..remember this place on Bosh?

post-19777-0-58710100-1351530609_thumb.jpg

The old Shell sign (out of picture) posted the last price for gas @ 0.38 cents per litre! You could get a haircut in the little room to the right of the doorway, pick up a quart of paint, some plumbing or electrical supplies enough to do a small repair and then buy a pie on the way out...and if you needed some frozen food for dinner they had that too.

Always had my hair cut there great folks

They were nice folks..Think they are still alive. Live on 118 on top of the hill headed out of Carnarvon.

I seem to recall the general store in Canarvon was selling Sno Commanders 1 winter. I kind of think they resembled Boa Skis.

Geez maybe...when it was Archers? before Fosters? That's a loooong time ago. They sold a lot of things there..it was a real general store. From gas to hardware to paint to food...they had it all.

Or

Are you thinking of a different place than in the picture above a few posts? The picture is on Boshkung, closer to Matabanick Inn and the Clansman.

Geez maybe...when it was Archers? before Fosters? That's a loooong time ago. They sold a lot of things there..it was a real general store. From gas to hardware to paint to food...they had it all.

Or

Are you thinking of a different place than in the picture above a few posts? The picture is on Boshkung, closer to Matabanick Inn and the Clansman.

The Matabanick is still owned by the Archer family. I think that the general store that Reverend is talking about is just north of Thomas excavating and is now only a house. Or before Pawson marine was Pawson marine that place had been a general store judging by the candy displays etc that were rotting in the bush.

The Matabanick is still owned by the Archer family. I think that the general store that Reverend is talking about is just north of Thomas excavating and is now only a house. Or before Pawson marine was Pawson marine that place had been a general store judging by the candy displays etc that were rotting in the bush.

Yes..could be..it was a marina at one time. It's been a dilapidated house/storage for some time. It's been for sale for about two years. Where Thomas Contracting is, used to be a ski hill in the 60's! Ran up to where West Rd now runs, and roughly where the Thomas heavy equipment shop is now was the clubhouse. Francis actually extended the road for the ski hill. It only ran for a couple seasons and burnt down and was not rebuilt but it was very popular.

Matabanick is still going strong.

The building that is now the PEPPERMILL restaurant,was opened in the 50's by Sinclair Russell as RUSSELL REFRIGERATION.After that it was a TEXACO gas station owned by one of the Chambers family. After this it became PAWSON MARINE run of course by the Pawson family.I'm not sure what was right after that but over the last 25 or so years a number of restaurants operated there before it became the PEPPERMILL .

Moving north to West Road,Carnarvon,If you go in this road you will find a fairly steep hill.To the left (south)side is where the CARNARVON SKI CLUB was.Frank Gregory of Carnarvon was one of the founders.I My son skied there mid 60's.They had a rope tow to get you back up the hill.Ski hill operated maybe 3or4 years.A couple of years ago I got a pamphlet about its history at Pine Reflections in Carnarvon.

Moving north again,about two or three places north of THOMAS' there is a flat front white building,now the home of Nigel and Gina Atkinson.This opened in the 50's?as THE RED BARN,a hamburger/restaurant place, open for just a few years.

And north again to just south of Barker"s Heating,the old closed store was FOSTER'S STORE,These owners now on the 118 hill west of Carnarvon.Then Jim (the barber) and Helen Mifflin ran it for a number of years and had SHELL gas.Two owners after this and over and out,with Jimmie Mifflin left holding the bag.(empty of course)..

Here endeth the lesson................derf

The general store I'm thinking of was on the north side of 118 east of 35. I think it's now Kountry Kut & Kurl. I'm pretty sure it was still in operation when we sold the cottage in '73/'74.

The store on the north side of 118 a piece east of St.Peter's Road was WELCH'S GENERAL STORE..After Tom Welch it morphed into RANCHERS MARKET,a butcher shop.Good meat and priced right , we used to buy to take back to the city...Empty for a number of years it was re-opened as the ART HIVE by a group of local artists / craftspeople , and has operated as such for the last number of years.............derf

Not many people know this, but I owned the first radio in Ox Narrows. Not much on the air then, just Edison reciting the alphabet over and over. 'A' .....he'd say..... then 'B'. ' C' would usually follow...

There was the Hitch N Post which sold small time farmers market type things that was at the intersection of East Rd and 118. Now the Hair Lounge it also operated as a "coffee house" type joint that had small bands. Now, just a beauty parlor type operation. I think that is the place you are thinking of Rev. It's set back from the highway a bit. Welch's store is much farther along towards Maple lake. Now the Art Hive.

Fosters was originally owned by one of the Archer family, prior to Jim and Pearl Foster taking it over. Then the Mifflins bought it ( Jim also and Helen) and ran it very well for a long time. Barkers heating before being torn down was The Little ChickInn restaurant before being converted into the Barkers home.

Derf...do you remember Stinsons at Halls Lake? Best baked goods around!

Archived