Ox Narrows Update

revrnd

FQ...I well remember Doreen and Leonard her husband, He used to make some super do-nuts..In the late 40's I worked at that store during the summers for the previous owners -Herb and Carrie Waters.They were from Detroit,Mich. and ran it during the good weather months and had others keep it open for them in the winter.I had a hard time getting him to pay me 40 cents an hour,what I was making as an usher at the Glendale theatre in north Toronto.They had a full selection,canned and packaged items,fresh produce,a meat counter,dairy ,bread and baked goods...even a big wheel of cheese..People would do all their grocery shopping there in those days..How things have changed !!!..............derf..

We were a bit farther south and did a bunch of shopping at the Cupboard on Horseshoe lk. but sometimes we went up to Fosters.

There was the Hitch N Post which sold small time farmers market type things that was at the intersection of East Rd and 118. Now the Hair Lounge it also operated as a "coffee house" type joint that had small bands. Now, just a beauty parlor type operation. I think that is the place you are thinking of Rev. It's set back from the highway a bit.

Fred, that's the place. If we needed something but didn't want to drive to Minden we went there.

FQ...I well remember Doreen and Leonard her husband, He used to make some super do-nuts..In the late 40's I worked at that store during the summers for the previous owners -Herb and Carrie Waters.They were from Detroit,Mich. and ran it during the good weather months and had others keep it open for them in the winter.I had a hard time getting him to pay me 40 cents an hour,what I was making as an usher at the Glendale theatre in north Toronto.They had a full selection,canned and packaged items,fresh produce,a meat counter,dairy ,bread and baked goods...even a big wheel of cheese..People would do all their grocery shopping there in those days..How things have changed !!!..............derf..

Leonard also made some of the best date squares and butter tarts around. It was a sad day when it burned down. The Chip Shop is good .. but not the same by far!!

I did not know there were owners before Leonard and his Wife! Great history lesson!

The store on the north side of 118 a piece east of St.Peter's Road was WELCH'S GENERAL STORE..After Tom Welch it morphed into RANCHERS MARKET,a butcher shop.Good meat and priced right , we used to buy to take back to the city...Empty for a number of years it was re-opened as the ART HIVE by a group of local artists / craftspeople , and has operated as such for the last number of years.............derf

It took me a while to realise where this place was. It was at the foot of a hill where they used to be a lookout to the north.

Archived