Mandatory Floater Suits Coming ???

Nith Valley Sledder

A friend of a friend died Friday March 31 near Echo Bay here (Gordon Lake) he and two other machines decided to do some spring ice fishing and his machine went thru the ice , he was wearing a flotation suit , but he was very difficult to get out of the water with all his weight boots and helmet etc..............in the end hypothermia did him in. They should never of been on the lake , and he and his friends  knew the lake well , perhaps to over confident on how well they knew the lake . But goes to show that even with flotation suit , it is not a solution to bad judgement.

https://www.sootoday.com/opp-beat/echo-bay-man-dead-after-snowmobile-goes-through-ice-577899

Sorry to hear about your friend. Along with the floater suit I always have ice picks with me to help get myself out. Typically I also have a rope/tow line that could be thrown to the person in the water to pull them out with. Nothing is a fool proof solution other than staying off the ice.

Sorry for your loss.

Deepest condolences on the loss of your friend and to his family.

sorry for your loss Panther. this is never easy. Ski

No need for condolences .......a friend of a friend , I might of met him twice..........sad just the same , I found it interesting re floater suit no helping, I also reinforced with my son in law how he should not be ice fishing yesterday on Lake Superior (haviland bay) and how this other guy from Echo bay had drowned , but of course my son in law ignored me and went fishing any way yesterday, but he got home , but he was pushing the envelope.

Archived