2016 barry's bay january 16

slomo

Woke Saturday morning to a light fluffy snow covered world

post-19713-0-31955100-1453029063_thumb.j

Effort during "Getting Your Food Ready For Snowmobiling Week" paid off (5 cheese, bacon and onion bit scrambled eggs, topped with stewed tomatoes) was out on the trail by 7:30 am or so and headed down Combermere way.

Snow cover was very thin - trail portions built on roads good, overland trails less so with occasional potato rocks and thin spots. Still, plenty of lube and enjoyable if you took your time.

post-19713-0-99149500-1453029075_thumb.j

post-19713-0-55006300-1453029087_thumb.j

Turned around somewhere past Combermere and headed back. Several large parties over the trail by then and trail was more or less trashed by 10:30.

Came upon a very sad fellow who blew his engine. Luckily he had friends who could tow him out.

post-19713-0-36535500-1453029103_thumb.j

post-19713-0-60037700-1453029115_thumb.j

Next, headed down trail toward Wilno and Killaloe ....

post-19713-0-73921000-1453029127_thumb.j

trail in great shape until the part where it meets road, then very thin

Stopped in at the Wilno Tavern for a snack, met Viperules 700 by chance having a beer, who wanted to borrow my camera...

so no pictures of the next part of my day, the rail line toward Whitney. Just as well - trail very thin - could have won a plowing contest with carbides digging into the gravel under the snow - and turned around before Madawaska.

Area, like most of the rest of Ontario needs more snow. Clubs here have done a miraculous job what with the rain and low snow amounts.

Thank you to them.

nice report & pics...bonus you got to meet vr700...thx for sharing

He told me he was VR700 - don't know for sure......

Lying SOB! I haven't even sledded yet this year, besides I wouldn't steal someone's camera

either. Looks like a good ride! Hope you get your camera back!

Lying SOB! I haven't even sledded yet this year, besides I wouldn't steal someone's camera

either. Looks like a good ride! Hope you get your camera back!

Was back by the tavern this morning before packing up....got camera back from the bar keep...says you left with two women at closing time and set up in the cabin at the Polish pioneer village across the street. Good going ! Way less expensive than a motel!              Of course if it wasn't you.....

post-19713-0-53084300-1453069030_thumb.p

Hope you get out riding soon! ;)

lol...we talked today about the camera story,wondered why the hell you would lend your camera out...all makes sense now

lol...we talked today about the camera story,wondered why the hell you would lend your camera out...all makes sense now

Yes...I sometimes think VR700 doesn't get the credit he deserves, so winding him up in a legend. :)

Maybe one day I'll actually get to see him.

Yes...I sometimes think VR700 doesn't get the credit he deserves, so winding him up in a legend. :)

Maybe one day I'll actually get to see him.

You got me good! I was thinking oh god I have to change my name now! Lol! No one wants to be labeled as a thief!

You could use AFTINK1200 for a handle.

How did you know I am getting a 1200?

Great report Slomo and good one on Viperules700.  Honest trail reports with pictures is what this forum is all about...

Great report Slomo and good one on Viperules700.  Honest trail reports with pictures is what this forum is all about...

I will relate that the owners of the Pinewood Inn Motel in Barry's Bay were very interested in the trail conditions when I came back after my travels. In order to preserve their reputation, they were ready to give prospective sledding guests the straight goods on trail conditions. I had booked us in about 5 days before the weekend and they were willing to drop the 48 hour cancellation penalty if the trails were not in rideable shape. (at the time only one trail was open yellow after the rain)  Our fourth visit there and we can always rely on their reports and opinions.

Archived