David Phillips from Environment Canda admitts they blew this one

500ssman

Why do they even bother to try to forecast that far out? The weather liars struggle w/ a 7 day forecast.

Only job were you can be wrong all the time and still get paid

Amen to that brother! Hard to comprehend all of the technological advancements made in the last 10 to 20 years (for example I am sending this from an iPad the size of a sheet of paper) and yet they have failed to improve weather forecasting by even a percentage of that progress.

Probably because we're dealing w/ Mother Earth (& a lot of other factors).

Why do they even bother to try to forecast that far out? The weather liars struggle w/ a 7 day forecast.

The very same David Phillips was on TV earlier last year stating that they really have no idea what the weather will bring, but the Canadian public demands the forecasts regardless. It's a matter of basic supply and demand. If we would stop demanding long-term forecasts, they would stop providing them. :)

every year they flip a coin for the forcast.

Regardless of what we get someone will always be pissed off at them.

Good news this morning! EC has released their 3 month forecast & are predicting from Alberta & east we will see warmer than normal temps. I figure that means the rest of the winter will be decent.

Good news this morning! EC has released their 3 month forecast & are predicting from Alberta & east we will see warmer than normal temps. I figure that means the rest of the winter will be decent.

See, my point exactly. :D

Anyway, the cold always comes sooner or later. The risk we run now, at least for us in the south, is it becoming too cold to produce snow. That's what happened in the infamous year of 1998.

revrnd,you offered to buy the shells so maybe we should leave the groundhog alone and threaten

the weather forecasters.(no maybe both)lol

Certain members of the media have tried to find out how much the head of the CBC, Peter Mansbridge & other CBC staffers make to no avail. I wonder how much Mr. Phillips makes a year for his less than stellar job results? There was talk last year that the cutbacks the Feds were planning across all ministries were going to eliminate a lot of jobs @ EC. The Opposition cried out loud against this. I know we shouldn't rejoice over someone losing their job, but for the life of me, I can't see why the job of chief or senior meteorologist exists when the job is useless.

I can't see why the job of chief or senior meteorologist exists when the job is useless.

It's not exactly useless. It's all rooted in statistics, and looking at it with a statistical mindset makes it very valuable information. As you may know, data does not have to be accurate to still be incredibly useful.

I mean, sure, it is fun to poke at the accuracy of their results, but to expect them to be accurate misses the point. They are not in the business of predicting the future, they are in the business of providing provability data for you to use as part of your larger models.

It's not exactly useless. It's all rooted in statistics, and looking at it with a statistical mindset makes it very valuable information. As you may know, data does not have to be accurate to still be incredibly useful.

I mean, sure, it is fun to poke at the accuracy of their results, but to expect them to be accurate misses the point. They are not in the business of predicting the future, they are in the business of providing provability data for you to use as part of your larger models.

Yes, some pencil pusher is probably collecting those stats as you say, but I don't think they'd have to be a Rhodes Scholar to do it. It's when the "experts" start "stirring chicken's entrails" , do things go out the window.

Yes, some pencil pusher is probably collecting those stats as you say, but I don't think they'd have to be a Rhodes Scholar to do it. It's when the "experts" start "stirring chicken's entrails" , do things go out the window.

Granted, most people are not Rhodes Scholars, so they want the condensed and friendly version that any layman can understand. However, in doing so, a lot of critical information is lost. That leads people to make assumptions that were never true in the first place.

But imagine the outrage if EC stopped providing those "dumbed-down" forecasts. As I mentioned before, EC is quite open about it, and state they only provide the forecasts because the people demand them.

It's a funny situation. Everyone complains how inaccurate and useless the forecasts are, but they still love to observe them anyway. :D

It's a funny situation. Everyone complains how inaccurate and useless the forecasts are, but they still love to observe them anyway. :D

Sounds like my SIL fretting about the 14 day roler coaster graphic (I mean trend) on TWN.

In other words, they are well equipped to predict the past! :rotflmao:

In other words, they are well equipped to predict the past! :rotflmao:

I've been saying that for a long time. The best reporting they have is what has happened the last 24 hours.

Anyone else notice The Weather Network seems to be more flashy and more TMZish doom and gloom with their stories instead of just forecasting the darn weather. EXTREME THIS!!!! and my ultra new hated word "EPIC" You swear to god the world is ending the way they forecast and now tweet lol

Anyone else notice The Weather Network seems to be more flashy and more TMZish doom and gloom with their stories instead of just forecasting the darn weather. EXTREME THIS!!!! and my ultra new hated word "EPIC" You swear to god the world is ending the way they forecast and now tweet lol

Jay, that's the way the weather forecasting/reporting has been in Toronto for about the last 10 years. Here's how it goes: You listen to the 11 PM forecast & we're going to get 15 to 20 cms overnight. Wake up in the morning & barely a skiff of snow on the truck. Get out from dayshift and still nothing.

Then you'll get the clear overnight w/ no snow for a day or 2. Wake up in the morning & there's 3" to brush off. Oshawa was never susceptible to LES.

I recall seeing an ad on 1 of the Rochester TV stations a couple of winters ago. The guy said to watch his weather report for the no hype forecast. I think there was a graphic w/ epic, extreme & some other adjectives on the screen. Then a bunch of red circles w/ lines thru 'em appeared over the words.

Like I've said before we're becoming a nation of panty waists when it comes to the weather.

"Chilly tonight going down to -3, -7 w/ the wind chill." Give me a break.

The Chipmunk on Global Toronto is just as bad w/ his forecasts of "horrible" weather. I bet he pees himself w/ glee when he says we'll have a period of mild weather (in the winter). AZZHAT!

The guy I can't stand the most is that a$$wipe from the Barrie CTV affiliate. Bob...Whatshisname? He has the biggest crap eating grin when he talks about mild wet weather. I swear one forecast he said showers...like 25 times. Showers, followed by showers then a chance of showers and more showers tomorrow. For fu@k$ sake. A shower is something done in a bathroom. When it is outside it is rain. Period.

I'd like to drop him in Kempenfelt bay.

The guy I can't stand the most is that a$$wipe from the Barrie CTV affiliate. Bob...Whatshisname? He has the biggest crap eating grin when he talks about mild wet weather. I swear one forecast he said showers...like 25 times. Showers, followed by showers then a chance of showers and more showers tomorrow. For fu@k$ sake. A shower is something done in a bathroom. When it is outside it is rain. Period.

I'd like to drop him in Kempenfelt bay.

Well then he would not need a shower

We are in a world of idiots, you need the hype and flash to get most people to come out of their mindless daze and see what your talking about. If they didn't hype 1-3cm of snow and -3 temps a lot more people would be wearing shorts in January asking why they didn't here it was winter time already.

The person is smart the population as a whole is stupid so we must drop to their level. If this was not true than TV shows like Amercian Idol and Jersey Shore would not be so popular. Ever watch TLC network? 99% of their programming is for the stupid white trash, there is nothing to do with learning anymore on the channel.

Well then he would not need a shower

Yes..true. Especially with a brick in his mouth. After all his name is "Bob".

They were talking to a weather nerd on VR this weekend. He said this winter is similiar to that of '92. I remember it as having a lousy start. No sledding until the 2nd week of Jan'. I was miserable because I had 3 weeks off work (Christmas & 2 week layoff). We didn't have enough snow until the 2nd week of layoff. Even then the snow conditions weren't that great on our overnight trip to Spectacle Lake.

I guess the season turned out OK as I finished up w/ 2444 miles.

I wonder if the "spin" on the weather reporting & forecasts comes down from the station management? When Bill Coulter was doing the weekend weather on Global, he seemed to leave the editorial comments out of the weather broadcast. Now that he's on CP24, it would appear that he's drank their Kool-Aid & has added all the negativity & hyperbole to his reporting. Just like the rest of their weather readers.

IMO, if you're interested in meteorology (which I doubt most of these folks are), they should embrace the FOUR seasons that we have & realise there are folks that enjoy winter outdoors.

The following folks are recognised by the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society

http://www.cmos.ca/weathercasters.html

I don't see the chipmunk from Global Toronto nor Bob the Gardener on the list.

This is some info about what is req'd for endorsement:

http://www.cmos.ca/endorsee.html

Archived