Snowmobiler Breaks Though Ice on Trout Lake in North Bay

bbakernbay

A snowmobiler was rescued from the frigid waters of Trout Lake just before 11:30 p.m. Saturday.

North Bay Police Service, fire and ambulance all responded to the scene.

Firefighters had to deploy their rescue sled to reach the snowmobiler.

He was transported by ambulance to North Bay Regional Health Centre. It's not suspected he sustained any injuries in the mishap.

Police said the ice thickness in the area is only one inch thick.

All NBSC Trails are CLOSED

The report on MCTV said the police charged him with impaired operation.

Why

Bad start to 2012 for snowmobiler

Charged with impaired after dunk in Trout Lake New Year's Eve

By Nugget Staff

Posted 1 hour ago

A New Year's Eve snowmobiler who plunged into Trout Lake's Delaney Bay faces charges for impaired operation of a motor vehicle and having more than the legal amount of alcohol in his system.

Ontario Provincial Police reported Tuesday that a Lakeside Drive couple called 911 to report the emergency when they saw the lights of the snowmobile disappear after watching as it tried to cross the bay's thin ice which still had open spots.

North Bay Emergency and Fire Services and ambulance personnel responded, along with the OPP at shortly after 11 p.m. The man was removed from the water by members of the fire department and transported to the North Bay Regional Health Centre for treatment.

Police said they accompanied the man as they had grounds to believe that alcohol was a factor in the incident.

"Once given clearance by medical staff, the male was arrested for impaired operation of a snow vehicle and issued the breath demand," the police media released stated.

I dont feel sorry for him one little bit...especially if he was drunk...although I would feel sorry for his family if he has one because they will have to answer all the questions about the're idiot family member....

I know this fella, I don't believe he even sleds. Likely borrowed someones for the joy ride. He has a place on trout lake and this didn't even happen anywhere near where he lives.

What a turd! LOL DON'T DRINK AND SLED!!!

Guy is lucky to even be alive. It would be tragic for his family if he died.

Little Whitefish Lake froze over (finally!) last Thursday. By late Sunday there were two sled tracks down Broad River, under the hwy 141 bridge, across the open water there, exiting further down the river. I wouldn't WALK on the ice yet, but you know some yahoo was warming up his sled the moment the lake skimmed over.

On the same vein, every year a bunch of people get their fingers cut off clearing jammed snow throwers. These folks never learn. You can't fix stupid.

Little Whitefish Lake froze over (finally!) last Thursday. By late Sunday there were two sled tracks down Broad River, under the hwy 141 bridge, across the open water there, exiting further down the river. I wouldn't WALK on the ice yet, but you know some yahoo was warming up his sled the moment the lake skimmed over.

On the same vein, every year a bunch of people get their fingers cut off clearing jammed snow throwers. These folks never learn. You can't fix stupid.

AMEN...

Archived