Snowmobiling 'Business' News

Canuck

BRP sues Arctic Cat

BRP has an issue with Arctic Cat's 'rider forward' design (interestingly, the lawsuit goes back to the 2007 Jaguar Z1, and not just the new design). I like this request... The (law)suit asks Cat to stop making the units, destroy units in stock and pay for the alleged damages and fees.

Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. announced it was suing Arctic Cat for alleged patent infringements.

BRP, which makes Ski-Doo and Lynx snowmobiles, said in documents filed in both Canadian and U.S. courts that Cat knowingly used certain patented innovations without permission. The Canadian suit discussed rider forward positioning, center of gravity, steering, footrest, seating, pyramidal frame and more. The U.S. suit includes, but is not limited to, the 2012 F 800 Sno Pro (so possibly other models) for frame construction infringement.

The suit asks Cat to stop making the units, destroy units in stock and pay for the alleged damages and fees.

"We just received and are reviewing the filing. It is too early to comment on it," said Shawn Brumbaugh, Arctic Cat spokesperson.

__

Arctic Cat buys back all of Suzuki's stock shares

Arctic Cat Inc. has purchased all of Suzuki Motor Corporation's approximately 6.1 million shares of Arctic Cat Class B common stock for a purchase price of $79.3 million.

The stock buyback reduces Arctic Cat's outstanding shares from 18.4 million to 12.3 million, increasing non-Suzuki shareholders' ownership of outstanding common shares by approximately 33 percent, and leaves Arctic Cat's public share float unchanged.

Arctic Cat funded this purchase with existing cash on its balance sheet. The company expects to end its 2012 fiscal year with more than $60 million in cash and no debt, after deducting cash used for the share purchase from Suzuki.

"Based on our current cash position and ongoing cash generation, we feel comfortable with this share purchase and believe it provides great value to our remaining shareholders. Suzuki has been a major shareholder since 1988 and a valued engine supplier for the Arctic Cat brand since 1976. We have benefited significantly from this long-standing relationship. Although Suzuki will no longer have an ownership stake in Arctic Cat, we look forward to continuing to purchase snowmobile engines for the next two model years, in addition to having Suzuki supply Arctic Cat with snowmobile engine parts to service existing engines after that time," said Claude Jordan, Arctic Cat's president and chief executive officer.

As previously announced on June 10, 2010, Suzuki will supply snowmobile engines to Arctic Cat through the 2014 model year, as well as engine parts to service existing engines. Arctic Cat will move snowmobile engine manufacturing to its St. Cloud, Minn., facility, where the company has manufactured ATV engines since 2007.

In conjunction with the buyback of all of Suzuki's Class B Arctic Cat shares, Suzuki's representative has resigned from Arctic Cat's board of directors, effective immediately. This is a position granted Suzuki as part of its ownership of the Class B shares, does not continue following the buyback and brings the total number on Arctic Cat's board to seven, the majority of which are independent directors.

_

Both of the above are from this month's American Snowmobiler.

_

More details available re: BRP and Arctic Cat via a quick google search - ie Montreal Gazette - BRP claims ..that the REV platform completely redesigned the position of the seat, the handlebar and the engine, and that the result was a hit with the snowmobiling public.... Arctic Cat could not have come to a similar design through a natural independent evolution.

What will this mean for snowmobilers? Sadly, I think it will send a chill down the spine of those manufacturers (Yamaha :)) who have not kept up with Ski-doo in handling. As for the merits of the case, I haven't ridden the Arctic Cat sleds in question, and defer to others who can compare. Harley Davidson attempted to trademark it's exhaust note (unsuccessfully), so who knows where this patent fight will lead.

(You can patent an invention, but secure trademark rights in a symbol associated with your company or product. Harley tried to argue that its motorcycle's sound was as distinctive as the MGM lion roar, at the start of films).

Just sayin.......but Yamaha rides as good as the rest

I wondered what you were smokin,,,but your avatar says it all,,,,,,,lmao,,,

I wondered what you were smokin,,,but your avatar says it all,,,,,,,lmao,,,

Yeah. I have owned them all and yamagata has the worst ride by far. I would never let my father buy one. He likes Polaris anyways.

It's all about what you know. When it comes to cars in my mind anything made by GM sucks, but lots of people will ask what I'm smoking.

Have noticed like the car/truck world. A Dodge guy and a Ford guy can get along but the GM guy hates them both as his is the best.

Sledding is the same, most Doo, Pol, Yam guys can hang out problem free, but those damn Cat riders have that same GM close mindedness, must be why every Cat owner I know drives a GM lol.

I bleed Yamaha blue, but can't for the life of me understand why Yamaha can't improve it's cornering.

Heck, they can't even get the skis correct.

It's all about what you know. When it comes to cars in my mind anything made by GM sucks, but lots of people will ask what I'm smoking.

Have noticed like the car/truck world. A Dodge guy and a Ford guy can get along but the GM guy hates them both as his is the best.

Sledding is the same, most Doo, Pol, Yam guys can hang out problem free, but those damn Cat riders have that same GM close mindedness, must be why every Cat owner I know drives a GM lol.

UMMMM I drive Dodge. Curious how quick everyone is to flame cat. Honestly its your money buy what you want and make the best of it. We service them all there is equal good and bad to them all. And all have made lemons. All have great sleds today compared to years ago. We need snow.

UMMMM I drive Dodge. Curious how quick everyone is to flame cat. Honestly its your money buy what you want and make the best of it. We service them all there is equal good and bad to them all. And all have made lemons. All have great sleds today compared to years ago. We need snow.

Well I didn't say that aplies to everyone who drives a Cat :)

Well I didn't say that aplies to everyone who drives a Cat :)

WB's just sore at the inconvenience caused his fleet of Dodge trucks now that the Dodge dealer in Parry Sound has gone out of business. Now he will have to travel the same distance to get factory service as he would if he had Toyota's. Of course, the Toyotas would be making fewer trips...... ^_^

Interesting, Canuck's news about BRP suing Arctic Cat for copyright infringement etc.....according to a recent Economist, corporations have set up departments whose only purpose is to keep track of possible infringements on corporate intellectual property and sue for damages worth millions. Prospective income from this pursuit is at times being declared on company balance sheets in addition to the value of actual patents, etc.

Differences in 'new products' or 'improved products' are so slight that this legal area is a thriving industry. i.e. is sitting with your rear balancing on a log in the woods all that different than sitting on a seat?

Good info., Slomo.

Definitely a development chill on the horizon.

WB's just sore at the inconvenience caused his fleet of Dodge trucks now that the Dodge dealer in Parry Sound has gone out of business. Now he will have to travel the same distance to get factory service as he would if he had Toyota's. Of course, the Toyotas would be making fewer trips...... ^_^

Interesting, Canuck's news about BRP suing Arctic Cat for copyright infringement etc.....according to a recent Economist, corporations have set up departments whose only purpose is to keep track of possible infringements on corporate intellectual property and sue for damages worth millions. Prospective income from this pursuit is at times being declared on company balance sheets in addition to the value of actual patents, etc.

Differences in 'new products' or 'improved products' are so slight that this legal area is a thriving industry. i.e. is sitting with your rear balancing on a log in the woods all that different than sitting on a seat?

Ummmm don't need the dealer all of them are older than warranty and give good service especially considering the years and milage. A friend of mines Toyota however is now at over $8000.00 dollars in warranty work it is 3 years old and 80,000 km .

As for the legals give me a break it is so pathetic that it is funny.

Ummmm don't need the dealer all of them are older than warranty and give good service especially considering the years and milage. A friend of mines Toyota however is now at over $8000.00 dollars in warranty work it is 3 years old and 80,000 km .

As for the legals give me a break it is so pathetic that it is funny.

post-19713-0-53998400-1326064086_thumb.j

Archived