First Trail to Open

Izzy

I can't help but wonder why "Use at Own Risk" signs and signed trail passes agreeing to same are not considered legal protection from liability issues. I mean we all have insurance on our sleds, if we want better coverage it's available for a price, yet we also buy insurance, although indirectly of course, but it is a big part of the trail permitt price. I wonder if these lawsuits are settled out of court before going to trial. This could then be used as a reason or excuse for raising premiums. Maybe not, but insurance was never my favourite industry. Regardless ,we will continue to pay to play.

Because like Luc said, people aren't wanting to be responsible for their own actions and the fact that some judge will accually listen to the case! I believe if there was pressure on our MP's something might get done.

I can't help but wonder why "Use at Own Risk" signs and signed trail passes agreeing to same are not considered legal protection from liability issues. I mean we all have insurance on our sleds, if we want better coverage it's available for a price, yet we also buy insurance, although indirectly of course, but it is a big part of the trail permitt price. I wonder if these lawsuits are settled out of court before going to trial. This could then be used as a reason or excuse for raising premiums. Maybe not, but insurance was never my favourite industry. Regardless ,we will continue to pay to play.

With regards to lawsuits, I think that many are probably settled out of court. Sometimes, even if you are in the right, the legal costs of defending could be more than the settlement. Particularly if the 'injured' party has deep pockets to prolong the suit.

With regards to lawsuits, I think that many are probably settled out of court. Sometimes, even if you are in the right, the legal costs of defending could be more than the settlement. Particularly if the 'injured' party has deep pockets to prolong the suit.

Most shouldn't even get that far! Thats what my beef is!

If you are doing something stupid then you shouldn't have the right to sue. The unfortunate part is that you have the right to contest in court whether you were doing something stupid or not. The guy doing 100 down a trail hits a snow covered rock and launches off the trail into the trees. Totals the sled and injures himself. Fortunatley the jerk only hurts himself. Then he gets a lawyer that says sue the club aka OFSC for either not having the rock removed or at least a sign warning of the presence of the rock.

Regardless of whether he was doing 100 or not he gets his day in court to argue his case.

Is it right. No. Is it reality Yes.

If you are doing something stupid then you shouldn't have the right to sue. The unfortunate part is that you have the right to contest in court whether you were doing something stupid or not. The guy doing 100 down a trail hits a snow covered rock and launches off the trail into the trees. Totals the sled and injures himself. Fortunatley the jerk only hurts himself. Then he gets a lawyer that says sue the club aka OFSC for either not having the rock removed or at least a sign warning of the presence of the rock.

Regardless of whether he was doing 100 or not he gets his day in court to argue his case.

Its a cruel world out there........only people getting rich are the lawyer's........cann't stop STUPID today and thats who the lawyer's are defending (sorry Canuck)STUPID people for there STUPID actions and they all want STUPID money.Our club has been dragged over the coals with STUPID law suits, fortunately we had everything in order...I have seen it so bad Husband and wife sueing each other in the end because she was waved thru and hit.....we have had a few serious accidents over the years on our trails and trust me when u are signing regurested mail and opening it to realize I am getting sued now for someone elses STUPID actions it makes u think.All I have to point out make sure your signage is correct especially your stop aheads and stop signs and if a corner cannot be talken at 50KPH get your SLOW up and maybe a arrow.......Unfortunately we cann't stop STUPID actions.

All I have to point out make sure your signage is correct especially your stop aheads and stop signs and if a corner cannot be talken at 50KPH get your SLOW up and maybe a arrow.......Unfortunately we cann't stop STUPID actions.

And then, if your area is like ours, you have to worry about the idiots that must think the signs are collector's items. They must be, judging by the frequency in which they disappear. :angry-smiley-005: We figure that there is someone in our area that has his basement finished in stop signs!!!

Looks like Gravenhurst is now closed but a small section up near Kapuskasing has opened to replace it!

Looks like Gravenhurst is now closed but a small section up near Kapuskasing has opened to replace it!

It felt pretty good to see yellow on the trail guide! Does anyone know if there is a chance of much more opening up in the Kap area between X-mas and New Years?

My point right there! Why should a judge even consider it? If you broke the law why do yo uhave the right to your day in court? Complete BS!

Sorry for the rant! It is cool that the trails are/were open!

Or naked snow dances?! The look on the neibours faces is priceless!!!!!!!!!!

Or naked snow dances?! The look on the neibours faces is priceless!!!!!!!!!!

I took some "self video" of exactly that today and I can pm it to you if you like

I took some "self video" of exactly that today and I can pm it to you if you like

I could get the mouse to post it for me on here!

Archived