Marathon - Terrace Bay

wisted

A group of us were planning a trip from Wawa, Marathon,Nipigon, Beardmore, Hornepayne, Wawa, starting this friday but I just noticed that the trail is closed west of Marathon from Neys to Dead Horse Creek. Does anyone know whats happening there? I believe 5 riders from Duluth Mn came through Gravel River this morning going east, does anyone know if they made it through? Any info would be appreciated.

Our group is planning the same loop, leaving next Monday from Wawa.

I just on the OFSC website that the D trail west of Marathon is limited from Marathon to Neys, and both Terrace Bay and Schreiber show "limited" as their trail status. Does anyone have any trail updates in that area?

snowgirl, I haven't heard of anyone who's ventured around that way yet the group that was headed that way changed their plans once they got to hillsport, as they trials around terrace bay weren't open.

snowgirl, I haven't heard of anyone who's ventured around that way yet the group that was headed that way changed their plans once they got to hillsport, as they trials around terrace bay weren't open.

Well we have also changed our plans, as of 10p.m. last night. A friend that will be on the trip with us actually talked to someone from Marathon last night, and he told us not to venture out in that area. That the trails Marathon to Nipigon are not all open.

We will probably leave from New Liskeard instead, cross the Quebec border, do couple of days in Abiti-temiscamingue, than cross back in Ontario around Cochrane, ride around there, maybe the Abiti Canyon trail, and then drive back south to NL on the Ontario side.

Too bad aboot the trails over there.

Alls it takes is one missing link to muck up the whole trail for everyone. It's gotta be frustrating for the ones that doo manage to git theres open.

Quality Inn in New Liskeard is a great place to launch from or the Waterfront Inn is also good.

I believe the trail to Quebec (Notre Dame Du Nord has been moved to this year to follow a staked Lake route from New Liskeard.

When leaving Quebec for Cochrane, fill up the tanks to the top in La Sarre as I believe there is no gas between there & Cochrane.

Lilabelle Lake Resort is a great place to stay at the top end of Cochrane

I talked to the folks at Neys Launch and Campground and they said the trail is closed for about 9 km west of Neys. Riders have been using the highway ditch to bypass this section. So it sounds like you can get thru but may be a little rough for a few km. Have a good ride, we will also be on that trail to Marathon on Monday 2/18, then onto Longlac on Tuesday and back to Nipigon on Wednesday, then who knows for the rest of the week.

I'd like to encourage you to travel our area. Marathon has excellent trails to the Manitouwadge connector. If you come from White River you can turn on D109A right at Highway 614 or you can go to Marathon, then if you wish you can backtrack to the D109A trail through Manitouwadge to Hillsport then Hornepayne. Conditions are good and we have had several groups come through.

Archived