How is the corn and bean harvest going?

fish

How goes the corn and bean harvest for the farmers? Is it looking like they will get a lot off before the end of the month to be able to stake trails?

Alot of farm traffic this past week and a half. Most of the beans are off and the corn (last I was told) was 29% moisture. Yesterday's warm weather might have changed that. I not 100% but I think the ideal moisture content is 24%.

To answer your question I think yes the crops will be off before the snow flies.

Alot of farm traffic this past week and a half. Most of the beans are off and the corn (last I was told) was 29% moisture. Yesterday's warm weather might have changed that. I not 100% but I think the ideal moisture content is 24%.

To answer your question I think yes the crops will be off before the snow flies.

Sounds like the corn crop needs a spray of dessicant. That'll speed things up.

We still have corn to do. Ideal moisture is 18 percent in order to store it with minimal drying. We need a few more nice days to dry it out some more. The drier you can get it, the less you have to spend on drying it out. Natural gas is cheap these days compared to diesel. Wheat crop was excellent, soy beans were good and corn should be fair to good I imagine.

The last few days must've helped. Awesome weekend - sunny, dry. Perfect weather to rake leaves at the cottage. :mad:

It is helping for sure. Took off some outside rows on some fields and a few paths every 100 feet to air dry it abit more. Farmers here are still taking off soy beans and haven't taken off alot of corn yet. With the weather there is no rush. Would be nice to get some colder nights to speed up the drying. Plus 7 last night, Wtf???

Took off some outside rows on some fields and a few paths every 100 feet to air dry it a bit more.

Ahhh, that's why farmers do that. I figured it was something like that but wasn't aware of the in's and out's of harvesting.

Ahhh, that's why farmers do that. I figured it was something like that but wasn't aware of the in's and out's of harvesting.

It does help for sure. It doesn't pay to have to move equipment real long distances though. Alot of farms with heavy soil are still sitting at 34 percent moisture. The shorter days now and lack of frost is really slowing down the natural drying process. I took 35 acres today off and it was 28 percent. Have some fields still at 34. Has to be dried to 14 to store it for the winter. With the rain coming it will stall the process all over again. I can see corn harvest taking until the end of the month, if the weather continues.

• 2 weeks later...

A lotn of corn still on the fields as of today In the #2 highway and north to 97 highway this will definately delay trail staking for the Drumbo club

With the warm weather forecasted to continue why rush the harvest. You need a few sunny days in a row to dry it out, to make it worth harvesting.

Archived