'brp owners club' phone scam??

slomo

Had someone leave a message on the phone yesterday, saying they were from the 'brp owner's club' and to call back at 1-866-316-0057. Looks like this is a number from a call center in Tennesee. The only way they could have got my phone number is when I went on line to get a certificate for the "BRP $10 to your snowmobile club'' promotion. Judging from internet research, they call to try and get your personal information or sell you stuff.

For those who spring ordered, you get to belong the Platinum Club whoopee, not the Owner's Club.

So, if you get called by these people, be careful about calling back...unless you really want to know what someone in Tennesee is wearing....

I would report them to BRP. That could be bad for business. Let BRP go after them.

Well since you said you signed up with BRP online, most likely what has happened is BRP sold your name and number to a telemarketing group, that has now called you trying to sell you something. It happens all the time, that's how you get all those offers in the mail for visa and MC cards with your name on them.

Canadian Tire use to be really bad for selling their customer database off.

And because its not a cold call, they actaully know your name and phone number before making the call. The DoNot Call list law does not come in to play with this one.

Well since you said you signed up with BRP online, most likely what has happened is BRP sold your name and number to a telemarketing group, that has now called you trying to sell you something. It happens all the time, that's how you get all those offers in the mail for visa and MC cards with your name on them.

Canadian Tire use to be really bad for selling their customer database off.

And because its not a cold call, they actaully know your name and phone number before making the call. The DoNot Call list law does not come in to play with this one.

The do not call list would not be viable in this case however there is in Canada PIPEDA - Personal Information Protection Electronic Data Act. Anyone you give your information to is not allowed to share it and must disclose what they will do with it. You also have the right to demand they remove your information from their systems. BRP would be extremely aware of this. They also must by law have a privacy officer. As a Canadian company they must comply with that law. The penalties are significant.

The do not call list would not be viable in this case however there is in Canada PIPEDA - Personal Information Protection Electronic Data Act. Anyone you give your information to is not allowed to share it and must disclose what they will do with it. You also have the right to demand they remove your information from their systems. BRP would be extremely aware of this. They also must by law have a privacy officer. As a Canadian company they must comply with that law. The penalties are significant.

Yes your right, but remember everything you fill out online has a little box you have to check before you can click the submit button. Saying you agree with the million plus words below the submit button.

That allows them to do what ever they want with your info.

... remember everything you fill out online has a little box you have to check before you can click the submit button. Saying you agree with the million plus words below the submit button.

That allows them to do what ever they want with you.

I have one of those for respondents to my on-line dating profile. ;)

I have one of those for respondents to my on-line dating profile.   ;)

LOL

But you know, online dating works. I met my wife on an online dating site. But there was a crazy stocker chick too. Use the pay sites, remember you get what you pay for ;)

I would report them to BRP. That could be bad for business. Let BRP go after them.

Use my avatar in emails to BRP. That'll get their attention.

I still think brp deserves kudos for the $10 / club coupons.

This was a marketing glitch.

Use my avatar in emails to BRP. That'll get their attention.

I still think brp deserves kudos for the $10 / club coupons.

This was a marketing glitch.

Or an unauthorized and unassociated scam!?

Maybe brp will set the record straight ?

Archived